Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-13-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
JD, Adam Errington, Collin Harrington, Grubb, Dallas, and myself are in Panama with Hayes Wheelless, the Red Bull Director of sports for latin america and the caribbean is taking great care of us while we wakeboard and surf all day. We also have Ronn Seidenglanz (Sidewayz films) with three other crew members, and Aaron Katen to take stills to capture the whole trip. Ronn is putting a TV show together that should be out in a couple months.
I am so stinking sunburned but have been putting on so much sunscreen and zinka. the sun is so powerful down here. JD and Adam got rocked by the sun the first day.
We just flew from panama city this morning into an island called Bocas Del Toro (mouth of the bull). We rode a few places in panama that were pretty fun including a spot right off "the canal" where grubb and i sessioned a spot for a couple hours behind a little boat that must have been 30 years old, but was super fun. Grubb did a sweet wake to wake shove no grab and just missed two wake to wake kickflips. I was filming a little and told grubb to slaysh close to the shore and our local friend/Red Bull marketing girl, maria said "don't go to close, because in august a guy got attacked by a gator and was eaten in one bite." that was comforting.
We did some surfing today and have 3 more days to go where we have the red bull ski to ourselves for some tow-ins with the 13 time national champion and Red Bull athlete.
yes, you should be very jealous.
got any questions for the boys on the trip?
i will have some pics from katen in a little while
Murdog
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-13-2007, 4:37 PM Reply   
I thought this was a secret.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-13-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
Q: Can I come next time?
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-13-2007, 4:46 PM Reply   
no problem nick. just send us your address and we will have a ticket to you in the mail:-) wink.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-13-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
Eat it up and have a good time man you earned it!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-13-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
I don't exactly know if/when you'll be back around Orlando but I'm moving down in Jan. and if you ever need a break from riding with pro's and want a day out with some Wisco guys let me know, I will be there for a few months with absolutely nothing to do but wakeboard....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-13-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
that comment was suppose to sound less like a homosexual pick-up, and more like an offer to ride, just to clear that up
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-13-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
Shaun, I love Bocas, so much we put a reservation down on a condo at BigCreek Village. I love the canal jungle boat ride from Bocas to mainland Panama and back. The owner of Hotel Olas should know some secret surf spots. The locals are cool, but pay attention b/c everyone greases each others pockets. Especially when it comes to tourists. Look for the "square" fish in the water coming from Columbia!! Usually a big party if one washes up on shore....Seriously, you should hear lots of good things about Columbia down there, though.

(Message edited by lionel on December 13, 2007)
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-13-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
So nice....

Upload
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-13-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
I've heard from several accounts that the waves get really good there. Nice reefs and some barreling shorebreak. Sounds like a blast, but i'd rather do my job than wakeboard for a living
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-13-2007, 5:30 PM Reply   
Bocas Del Toro has an epic wave! super jealous, but i'll be in hawaii on wed so ill get my fix
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-13-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
Yeah, I have a question. Why did you not insist that you have your driver with you? This is BS!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-13-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
Travis, I just finished watching Updog, and i must say, im diggin your net shirt.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-13-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
Travis.. i am sure it had nothing to do with you ripping on his smelly ice cream farts
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-13-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
sorry trav, guess i should've pushed to have "my driver" along. here are some pics to enjoy folks.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (norcalrider39)      Join Date: May 2007       12-13-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
What's up Grubb? I didn't really get a chance to talk to you at the Gorge, to busy droppin' spots. So how long were you grinning after jumping off that one?? Good stuff huh?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-13-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
Tell Aaron I said what up!
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-14-2007, 4:31 AM Reply   
You definitely should have! You really have to put your foot down on these things.

The shots are awesome. Tell Adam that he could get a pretty hefty fine for sitting up on the gunnel like that, plus, I'm not sure if he's even old enough to ride in a boat without a lifejacket. Maybe they have looser regulations in Panama though.

Shrip it up!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-14-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
Great shots! Have fun and post up some more so that rest of us at work can drool all over our computers
Old     (redlinewatersports)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-14-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
Travis - Saw your '08 down at the factory last month... SICK! That's gonna be a hard to miss boat out on the water!
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-14-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
moye, what are you doing up at 4:31 a.m. anyhoo? bocce droppin hot dog farts under the covers and chasin' ya outta bed?
just surfed a left point break that must have been waist high on the big sets that came every 30 minutes. the hard part was dodgin' in and outta the other 20 dudes while everyone jockeys for position. surf is supposed to pick up saturday. travis, sound familiar?
Adam says at least he doesn't have poison ivy...yet.
will see if i can get more pics from katen.
collin says he's not going home, so if someone can contact his parents and let them know, that would be great. tell clay to forward his mail down here, but not his bills cuz he's just gonna run from all responsibilities.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-14-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
So has Collin been surfing circles around everyone else?
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-14-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
Murray, tell Hayes I said "What Up"!
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-14-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Give us a surf report and pictures... Huntington Beach is a soild
6 to 12 inches this morning.
Aloha
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-14-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
hey Shaun....thanks for the post! I went to Panama a little over a year ago for a 2 week trip and did some surfing in Bocas. If you need a good "backcountry" guide...look up Ian Sanchez...the best there is down there! You can find his name/number in the lonely planet guide for Panama. His father used to be the Director of Recreation or something like that for the U.S. Miltary base in Panama and he runs a white water rafting outfit. If you have time....you might want to hook up with them and do some rafting down the Chiriqui River...seriously hardcore sheeeit! If you're in the mood for some good hiking....Boquete is a really cool laid back mountain town...check it.

(Message edited by fletch_tx on December 14, 2007)
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-14-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
Looks like a good time down there Shaun... I'm freezing my butt off looking outside, hear the weather report with a foot of snow comming on sunday... Man I wish I was south!

btw- Ankle is good now... made a fairly quick recovery, though I don't want to push it yet...
Old     (aaronk10)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-15-2007, 5:43 AM Reply   
Sup Hahn! Wish you were here to take some pics of me!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-15-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
You and me both! Headed to Seattle to see the Fam. I'll tell my sister you said Hi! Be safe and don't drink the water!
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-15-2007, 8:05 PM Reply   
One more day and tomorrow the surf is supposed to pick up. we had a late evening surf into dark where we could tell the swell was coming. some of the guys are talking about extending their trip. took a long boat ride to a place they fed us some really good fish and at this particular spot they had a sign that said "survivor panama" and under that it said it was filmed there. one of the local guys said it was survivor russia version, but i don't watch the show so i don't know what was up with it. there are more than 50 islands around here and everything is only accessible by boat so we take these water taxis everywhere. just had a fun guitar jam session with one of Hayes band members and he rips so we all belted out with our best as he played our favorite songs.
good times, wish you all were here. well, maybe that would be too crowded, but i just want you to feel welcome. gotta go, my watch is set for 5:45 a.m. cuz the water taxi is picking us up at 6 for our early surf session.
later
shaun
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-15-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
hey shaun have you ever been riding on smith lake in cullman ?
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-15-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
I'm in Chicago where it has snowed all day long. I have a 7am flight to my grandma's funeral that I really don't think I am going to make, so it looks like I may be extending my trip as well.

Throw buckets!
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-16-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
sitting at desayunos, that's breakfast, after an early morning session. got some nice waves, a few overhead but was so crowded it was crazy. it is a left and i am regular so i would like to surf a right, but i am definitely not complaining. as soon as you take off on the wave you better make the section cuz the inside is a one foot deep over reef. Adam got a great ride this morning and hope someone got a shot of it, cuz we were all pumped for him.
Katen got a sweet barrel shot of collin that will most likely show up somewhere.
i gots to eat cuz im hungry.
moye, you would've been throwin' 50 gallon drums off this left! wwwwwwhhhhhhhhaaaaack!
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-16-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
Shaun--are you on Team Red Bull now or are you a friend? Sounds like the surf finally worked out for you guys this morning. Tell your dad hey for me, knew him back when he was living in STL working for TWA.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-16-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
I am a "friend" of Red Bull and glad to be one. They totally take care of me, so it's all good.
I just told my dad to check out the post so he will see your comment Andrew.
My arms, shoulders and back are so stinking tired right now I feel like I rode the cable for 10 hours straight.
We had some sizable sets come through and the sets were pretty consistent until the late evening, they just wouldn't break. Sound familiar Trav.
Collin and Grubb towed in a bunch and I paddled. JD isn't feeling too hot and might be running a fever so he's out for the night.
Adam and Dallas took a ride behind an 86 master craft and Adam said it was EPIC. Sure we will see some shots from that.
Yesterday, Adam and I took the Red Bull SeaDoo out and boosted some big airs of the waves. We would basically ride straight at the wave where it was peaking the biggest and start to turn the SeaDoo away from it to keep the line tight and just blast off the top on our wakeboards. Mostly just big straight airs with grabs but I threw in a few flips and a Raley for fun.
I gotta go, cuz my arms are so tired that it is hard to keep my arms up to type. peace out.
shaun
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       12-16-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
Hey... how come "dad" doesn't get to go? I just sit at home and read these posts about what a great time your having while I watch Roxie (and Calvin when I can see him) and pick up your mail...

Hey Andrew... Wassuppp??? Law school? Heavy stuff... good luck. Good to hear from you.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-20-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
Shaun, did you get to meet local panama riders? I'm trying to get ahold of riders in latin america and panama. Sounds like you had a great time.
Old    sealyon.net            12-21-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
Shaun, Looks like you guys had a blast.Can't believe you all are jumping off the tower. You guys are nuts....or just have more of them than me
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-21-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
"ROUGH LIFE" And I was stoked that it got up to 40 here in Michigan.....geez! Thanks for the pics Shaun, they are pretty awesome. The back and forth is comical too. Sorry about your Grandma Travis. Hope everyone has a rotten Holiday....but a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS!( so sick of this politically correct bull) And a great New Year. BTW Shaun....my new rig is going to be AWESOME...i got the 140 coming in real soon with the white bindings.....Merry Christmas....tooo meeee(singing)
Old     (quickpilot1010)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-22-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
hey sean do you have any idea where I could possibly get my hands on some red bull fitted hats? thanks
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-22-2007, 10:02 PM Reply   
Are the waves in panama reef or sand bottom...i got quite the suprise today going to paddle out with only 6 inches of water to deal with and all reef below me, interesting duck dive but hey, i'm in HAWAII
Old     (schrunk)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-29-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
Cris: You can get a hold of some of the local riders in Panama at their club email panama.wakeboarding@NOSPAMgmail.com Eric or Mark are two who would be good to get in contact with.

Thought I would throw a few other images in the thread, what a great time.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-29-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
That last pic is so awesome. I would love to hit that jib.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-29-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
Shaun, if you ever wanna come ride with us at Houston MC, down in Texas, I'm pretty sure I could get a hold of the 40th anniversary X-Star and some beers lol!! Just throwing the offer out there!!

JBuzz

P.S. We got the new board in the proshop last week, and I love it, but I love the new bindings more!!

Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-30-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
Nicolas, thanks for the info on some panama riders! those are great pics too
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-04-2008, 9:27 PM Reply   
wow that last pic is so rad
Old     (squanta)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-05-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
thats such a sick redbull jetski in the 3rd pic. the 4th pic is sweet too that jib looks awesome