Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-24-2010, 5:17 PM Reply   
Hey everyone. Looking for a prop for our 05 ebbtide. we have a pretty good setup right now but it takes forever to plane off. we have 540 in ski locker, 250 on each side near middle of boat. We are planning on adding a 440 this year.

what size do you I/O owners suggest?

thanks
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-24-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
I run a 4 blade 18 pitch. this year I went from 600 lbs to 1600 lbs so I don't know 4 sure how it will workout. Last year I once ran the 600lb sac and about 9 or 10 peeps in the boat and it still got on plane good but it was hell trying to maintain speed. This is my 3rd year with an I/o setup so I have learned a lil bit. Hope this helps.
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-24-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
I think we are running a 20 pitch 3 blade....would be nice to find a prop that would help it plane off easily...oh and to help with speed mess with trim a little bit...that seems to not make the boat's speed screw up as easily
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-24-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
A 4 blade would definately help IMO. I see you live in Vidalia. I grew up in mcrae. Live in macon now and ride lake tobesofkee.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-24-2010, 9:19 PM Reply   
you need to drop 1 pitch down if going from 3 to 4

whats your rpms in the boat now 80% loaded, fully trimmed
Old     (keithowen)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-24-2010, 9:25 PM Reply   
Here's a simple way to get a pretty good idea of what you'll need.

www.turningpointpropellers.com
turningpointpropellers.com/propellers_101

The wizard tool will take into consideration almost all the variables you'll have like extra weight, elevation, and your WOT range. I run an i/o with a 351 and about 850 lbs. I actually went with an aluminum 15 pitch four blade (go with a four blade for sure unless you can get a high five, they grab really well out of the hole). Pretty sure my elevation is significantly higher than yours though - I would guess it will probably recommend a 17. Keep in mind you'll lose a lot of top end - which doesn't matter to most of us - and watch your rpms close after you change props to make sure you're not consistantly exceeding your WOT. I've found iboats.com to be very competative on price and have had good customer service experiences with them too. Good luck!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-25-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
Justin, d-Nasty would be a good example of the change you need. You have to go to a 4 or 5 blade prop and probably a 17 or 18 pitch. Many places that will sell you a prop will let you try it and exchange it for another until you find the best one. I'm a big fan of stainless steel over aluminum.
When you get a lower pitch prop you will be able to hold speed better and will use less gas while boarding. You do have to worry about WOT running as it might over rev the engine when you are unloaded. Just pay attention. You can always change back to your current prop if you are going cruising, but you probably won't.
I would strongly recommend getting a hydrofoil for the leg of your sterndrive. Nothing will get the bow down better. It will also help you maintain speed for wakeboarding much better. I've used one of the original Stingray foils on an I/O for many years and its the cheapest performance upgrade you can get.
http://www.marine-dynamics.com/about.html
There are other brands that will also help.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-25-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
we run about 1500-1700 lbs in our 220 sea ray. and we have had the 1500+10 people in the boat before. the wake is baller running that heavy. but takes its sweet time to come out of the water. we are running a 21 pitch prop i believe(either 21 or 22. i dont remeber) on a bravo 3 outdrive, and it still takes its time, but its not to terrible.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
ask www.propgods.com
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-25-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
My boat had a 19 pitch 3-blade originally. I added about 1200 lbs last year, and getting out of the hole was way slow. I've now switched to a 17 pitch 4-blade and the difference is night and day.
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-27-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
I remember now! My boat is the same as Lou's so it has the 19 pitch 3 blade...Local shop says to go with a 4 blade 18 pitch. Sound right?
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-27-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
Well just learned we have a 18 pitch 4 blade on boat now anyways =/.....
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-27-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
That makes more sense if the boat is able to launch with that load. Look into that hydrofoil.