Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2008, 5:16 AM Reply   
The problem is my current canvas cover does not do a very good job at keeping water out of the boat when it rains. It is about 5 years old so I expect that. My current shed is only about 7' tall so I can only back about half the boat under it. Hence the bow usually gets pretty wet when it rains even with the cover on. The two choices I come to are to either get a nice cover (Rankin, Evolution) or buy a taller shed that I can put the whole boat under and keep using my current cover. Note that I only use my cover for storage, not trailing. I'm mainly looking for a way to keep it dry and mold and mildew free. Right now I would be better off leaving the cover off because of the mold and mildew. The shed will cost about $1,000 and the cover as you all know will be around $900 or so with shipping. Help me decide which route to go. Thanks.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-16-2008, 5:29 AM Reply   
shed and use the cover you have.
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/882001/?action=view&current=Image013yy.jpg
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
I would definitely take the shed over a cover any day.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-16-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
I would definitely do the shed if you have the space to do it. Unfortunately, I do not have the space for a shed so I am (used to) dealing with the same issue you are having. Then I came up with a pretty decent solution.....

I put my canvas cover on like normal. Then I take about a 10ft rod and run it through my tower crossbars (just above the racks) from one side to the other. Then I take a cheap nylon water proof tarp and cover the boat, running the tarp over the 10 ft crossbar. Doing this gives me a 100% water proof cover with about a 1 1/2 foot space in-between the nylon tarp and my canvas cover.

The nylon tarp keeps the water out while the canvas cover keeps dust and debris out while still allowing it to breathe. I've been using this set up for the past year and it has worked great. No mold or mildew at all.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
I'm liking the shed idea more and more. It would also help protect the tower speakers whereas a cover would not.

Richard, that sounds like a plan, at least until I can build the shed. What size tarp do you use?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-16-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
Definitely go with a shed. But I wouldn't screw around with some cheezy Costco tent if you live somewhere where the snow can crush it. Get a good quality carport that has a high snow load on it & is protected by from the wind somehow.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-16-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Allen,

I use the 12x24. You can get them at Wal-Mart for about $20.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
is your shed one of those that comes in the box and you put together or is it one thats built into the ground and can't be lifted. if its the out of the box one just built some sort of boxes to put it on so it'll stand up taller and the hole boat can fit under.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       01-16-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
Allen

I bought and put up one of these a couple of months ago.
http://www.portablegaragesandshelters.com/product/BSXG

It is very sturdy and has plenty of room for my boat (21 ft malibu with illusion tower. I am very happy with it so far! I went with the gray color which looks better imo. The cover is a very strong/thick 24 mil poly material.
There is actually enough room in there with the boat that I can walk all the way around both sides to work on/ access the boat. I am going to install some lighting inside pretty soon to make it more useful. The only beef I have with it at all is the quote "average install time with two people is 3 hours"! What a freakin' joke. Me and two of my buddies spent a day and a half putting that thing up. The directions are not the best in the world...lol
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-16-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
i picked up one of the costco tents, worked ok, until the massive wind storm we had which ripped out the stakes and up ended the thing on to the barn next to the boat. boat survived with minor scratches. it did work and for the most part kept out the pnw rain we get so much of. do the shed...for the safety of your boat.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
My current shed is on 4x4s in the ground. It could probably be raised somehow, but would be quite a job. I thought about making an extension to the front about 3' higher and another 12-15' longer. The bow back to the tower would fit there and the back of the boat under the old part.
Old    nwwakerider            01-16-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
i would go with a shed. I have an aluminum shed that covers my boat pretty well. If your worried about mildew when the cover is on, go to Fred Meyer, or GI JOES and pick up DRI-Z-AIR. They work great at keeping the moisture out of the boat and they are very inexpensive. I get them for about $7 each and the crystal replacement are about $1.50
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-16-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
shed fo sho