Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2012, 6:01 PM Reply   
Im looking to purchase an 06 B-52 V that my wife and i fell in love with. Only issue is the wake at 16 mph for kids is all white wash. The wake with no ballast for my wife at 20the mph is all white wash. The wake surf wake looks awesome though.

What could i do to clean up the wake? Put a front ballast in? Put a hydraulic plate in?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-30-2012, 6:37 PM Reply   
Front weight is going to be the first move. Alot of boat are not going to clean up at 16 period. Some may not even at 20. I personally would make sure you can make the wake how you want it before you drop the coin. Better than finding out you can't after you own it.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2012, 6:49 PM Reply   
The sanger v215 cleaned up nice which i was surprised at 15mph
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-30-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
From what I've read the MB don't really clean up until 21mph
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-30-2012, 7:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by runin90lx View Post
From what I've read the MB don't really clean up until 21mph
certainly true of the newer hulls.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-30-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   
Makes what I said even more important. Make sure it does it before you buy it. Your going to hate the boat if you can get a good pull at 22, but the wife and kids can't. You won't hear the end of that!!

The boats we have demo'd I rode behind and had my kids ride behind. Make sure it works for everyone!!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-30-2012, 8:01 PM Reply   
yeah I don't know if it's good or bad, but my whole family has learned to ride faster.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-30-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
i have an 06. you wont be able to get it to clean up at 16. with some bow weight and no ballast in the tanks and not a full boat of people I can get mine clean around 20-20.5 with that being said we all ride around 23-24
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-01-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
that kinda defeats the purpose of a clean slow wake for kids if you have to run it huge though doesn't it?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-01-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
i dont have the same ballsat, but waht i do is add as much weight as i can and it makes it clean up nice around 19-20
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-01-2012, 9:18 PM Reply   
I tried to tell you this in your other thread. Any deep-v boat is unlikely to give you a clean wake at speeds < 20mph.

If that's an important quality for you, then stick to used Malibus, due to flat bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post

I noticed in your post you said that turning on a dime is key criteria for you? If so, I suggest you look at '05 - '06 Malibus. Due to flat bottoms and BIG tracking fins they handle and turn tighter than most boats.

Also, you said this is a family boat. If you have small kids who are still learning, you will like how the clean the Malibu wake is at low speeds.

Finally, Bu's of that vintage are pretty easy to find in the low $30's.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-01-2012, 9:56 PM Reply   
Yup you are going to want a flatted hull for the lower speeds. The bu and the x10 and my 2000 x star empty is clean at 18..........and crystal clear to 80ft loaded up at 24.5 mph
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-01-2012, 10:07 PM Reply   
I am surprised that the 06 B52v doesn't have a clean low speed wake. It is not a deep v like the new one's. I googled 2006 B52v and this is what I got. For all intents and purposes a fairly flat hull.

I know this probably isn't something you want to do but you could add a trim tab for about a grand to the boat. That should allow you to drop the bow/raise teh transom and make the wake really mellow. Should help clean up the wake.

Out of curiosity when you were testing the 16mph wake was the ballast full? almost no wake will be clean at 16mph with full ballast. I am not sure why you would even want ballast though if you are only going 16. I don't think this model has the bow ballast so it might of been kind of rear weight heavy.

Last edited by polarbill; 10-01-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-01-2012, 11:28 PM Reply   
I can get a clean kids wake at 17mph and 60ft with the 05 supra 21v. The wakeplate does all the magic though.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-02-2012, 5:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I am surprised that the 06 B52v doesn't have a clean low speed wake. It is not a deep v like the new one's. I googled 2006 B52v and this is what I got. For all intents and purposes a fairly flat hull.

I know this probably isn't something you want to do but you could add a trim tab for about a grand to the boat. That should allow you to drop the bow/raise teh transom and make the wake really mellow. Should help clean up the wake.

Out of curiosity when you were testing the 16mph wake was the ballast full? almost no wake will be clean at 16mph with full ballast. I am not sure why you would even want ballast though if you are only going 16. I don't think this model has the bow ballast so it might of been kind of rear weight heavy.
That's all well and good, but I've also seen wake plates where when you push the bow down hard, it makes the wake hard and washy...

This is another example of what I told him in the other thread, don't chase a problem if you don't know how it'll turn out, if a tab costs a grand and he doesn't know if that boat will suit his needs before or after the tab, why would he buy that boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-02-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
That's all well and good, but I've also seen wake plates where when you push the bow down hard, it makes the wake hard and washy...

This is another example of what I told him in the other thread, don't chase a problem if you don't know how it'll turn out, if a tab costs a grand and he doesn't know if that boat will suit his needs before or after the tab, why would he buy that boat.
I definately agree with that. I wouldn't buy the boat either if the only way I could pull my kid was to add a wake plate and maybe that will clean it up. It was more of a response to people lumping all MB's into the deep v catagory when it is only the newer TWB and tomcats that have the deeper V. This is also why I asked if the ballast was full when he tried the wake at 16mph. if full or even partially filled then it wouldn't be surprising that the wake was washed. O.P. were the ballast pumps working for sure? I just look at that hull shape and am surprised that it doesn't create a nice rampy wake at slow speeds with no ballast.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-02-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
If you think about it though, how long will it actually be before your kids don't need to be going 16mph anymore? I have a 9 year old daughter that has been going at it for a half season and she's already being towed at adult speeds.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-02-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
He said his wife rides 19.5-20. It isn't barely clean at those speeds... What are adult speeds?
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-02-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
I pull beginner adults at 18-20, people that can ride are usually 23-24.5 @70-75ft.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-02-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
A nine year old riding at 23mph? I think riding speed is also somewhat dependent on how big a rider is. When my 220lb butt hits the wake I need alittle more speed than the 150lb gymnast dude to go w2w. I can't imagine how far a nine yr old is gonna fly at 23mph!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
This is a reason I looked at new boats. On my Moomba, getting a clean wake for kids was impossible and I bought this boat for my family, not my friends who are into wakeboarding. It would be clean around 21 and with ballast a little faster. Useless for an 8 year old in my eyes, just too fast. On my new 12 X-30 all these problems are gone. Wake is clean at all speeds and weights. It also make a difference in rougher water, while the steeper/deep V wakes tend to wash out more in rougher water the more mellow, cleaner wakes (think Malibu) stay cleaner in the chop. Not that big of a deal but something I really notcied.

If you are buying the boat for family/kids and beginners to learn on, a clean wake at slower speeds is a definite plus.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-02-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
This is a reason I looked at new boats. On my Moomba, getting a clean wake for kids was impossible and I bought this boat for my family, not my friends who are into wakeboarding. It would be clean around 21 and with ballast a little faster. Useless for an 8 year old in my eyes, just too fast. On my new 12 X-30 all these problems are gone. Wake is clean at all speeds and weights. It also make a difference in rougher water, while the steeper/deep V wakes tend to wash out more in rougher water the more mellow, cleaner wakes (think Malibu) stay cleaner in the chop. Not that big of a deal but something I really notcied.

If you are buying the boat for family/kids and beginners to learn on, a clean wake at slower speeds is a definite plus.
Try and convince the wake snobs of wake world that. If you listen to the people too much on here you would think everbody needs a 4000# slammed pro wake. I think people forget that 95% of buyers are families and a huge wakeboard wake means nothing to them. Hell, most buying families are probably lucky to have someone who can go wake to wake both regular and switch.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-02-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post

ALL speeds and weights? Surely that's an exaggeration? Like full ballast and 15 and it's clean? That would be pretty surprising.

That has been the biggest let down about our MB... but like I said, my family all rides at 21+ now, and it seems to be working out OK.

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-02-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
ALL speeds and weights? Surely that's an exaggeration? Like full ballast and 15 and it's clean? That would be pretty surprising.

That has been the biggest let down about our MB... but like I said, my family all rides at 21+ now, and it seems to be working out OK.

haha, op, op, op gangnum style.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-02-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
A nine year old riding at 23mph? I think riding speed is also somewhat dependent on how big a rider is. When my 220lb butt hits the wake I need alittle more speed than the 150lb gymnast dude to go w2w. I can't imagine how far a nine yr old is gonna fly at 23mph!
No I dont pull her at 23, I pull her at 18 just like a regular beginner adult. She would be a kite at 23
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-02-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
The way you made it sound was you had her going 21-22. If his kids need to ride 16 now, they'll ride 18 eventually, but that still doesn't clean the wake up...
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post

Well I think everyone can agree that no one rides full ballast and 15. But we had 2500 lbs of ballast this weekend (On top of the 4500lbs boat and passengers) and could get a huge clean wake at 19-20. Great for all levels and so fun to learn new tricks on, the falls don't hurt compared to riding at 23.5. There is no way my Moomba could do that.

A clean wake at 24mph is easy, most any wakeboat with weight can do this but the speeds most people want to ride at are important too (17-21) (by most I mean average people/kids who ride on a weekend, not the 5000lb ballast, 5 days a week WW types).
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-02-2012, 8:45 PM Reply   
To be able to run a clean wake at a low speed you need to run the hull as flat as you can. That means all the people in the bow and it really does help if you have a wake plate set all the way down. Run a shorter rope if your kids are riding in and out the wake but a long one if they are learning surface tricks inside the wake.
Also put some list in the hull so the side the rider is on cleans up early. I could run a wake on my D215 that was fairly clean down as low as 13 but not with a full fuel tank. Slower speeds mean less painful face plants which mean happier riders.

There are lots of other benefits to a Bennett plate being added to your MB, or any boat. I changed from a fixed plate to the adjustable plate and know it is well worth the money.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-03-2012, 9:58 PM Reply   
I rode a supra today and loved i, i was able to clean the wake up at 17-18.

Putting a wakeplate and front ballast on the b52 wouldnt be an issue but if i spent the money and still had issues id be upset.

So far the sanger v215 has the cleanest kids wake but the supra had the best adult wake and a decent kids wake (good enough for now)

Plus the sanger has TONS of storage and seems like its great quality
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-04-2012, 4:46 AM Reply   
A 2006 B52 is what, a 30-35k boat at least? Don't settle for a sub-par wake at that price. There are too many boats with GREAT wakes at that price.

If a low-speed wake is important you should look at a Malibu. Centurion Falcon V is a very flat boat as well that will have a super clean wake. I am sure there are others as well.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-04-2012, 5:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by goride View Post
I rode a supra today and loved i, i was able to clean the wake up at 17-18.

Putting a wakeplate and front ballast on the b52 wouldnt be an issue but if i spent the money and still had issues id be upset.

So far the sanger v215 has the cleanest kids wake but the supra had the best adult wake and a decent kids wake (good enough for now)

Plus the sanger has TONS of storage and seems like its great quality
Sanger is legit. Get after it.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-04-2012, 6:37 AM Reply   
goride- what prop does that MB have? My 06 MB B52 had a clean wake at 16mph with no ballast so I feel like something may have been wrong? Also was were the people in the boat at the time sitting pretty evenly? Keep in mind that two adults on one side of the boat and two kids on the other is enough to make for an uneven boat and a washy wake on one side. I have no doubt that the 06 B52 did have a tough wake to dial in but I found that was only when loading it up. When there was no ballast in my boat, the wake was clean and rampy so that's a bit surprising to read your post. See what prop they are using and those boat like weight in the nose as well. They have very large rear ballast tanks so the MB's do like a bit of nose weight.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-04-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
Wow sorry for the terrible grammar, it's early and I'm jet lagged lol

Last edited by wakedaveup; 10-04-2012 at 6:38 AM. Reason: sleep deprived
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-04-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
It was a 4 blade prop but thats all he could tell me. It didnt look like with or without ballast the wake wanted to clean up, we also tried moving the three of us around a bit. The boat was top notch but to spend 30k not knowing if the wake will clean up with weight on the front and a wake plate worries me.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-04-2012, 1:32 PM Reply   
It should. Make sure the wake works for what you want before you buy it.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-04-2012, 1:35 PM Reply   
X2. Sure it should scare you. Thats why everyone says demo before you buy. Lot of money to drop to get it home and think this isn't what i expected.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-04-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
I would NOT count on the trim tab to save you. It could have the opposite effect (introduce more wash into the wake).