Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
I was headed to the lake on Sunday and when I connected my truck to the trailer, I was not able to get the reverse lockout to release so I could back up. I had a problem with it the week before. My truck got backed into the water too far and water was in the trailer plug. I hoped it would have dried and started working. Well, I looked to see if I had any fuses blown and didn't see anything. Pulled out a meter and found I had no power getting through the 7-5 pin adapter. I hoped it was the adapter so I ran to the parts store and bought a new one. It was not. I finally gave up and started getting the boat ready. When we got to the lake, I just flipped the 5 pin upside down and turned on my lights so we could backup. Troubleshooting took about an hour so we had to tell some friends we were going to be an hour behind.

So we get to the lake, get the boat in, get our friends on. We go back to a cove, I throw my box anchor over and we were hanging out for an hour or so. I put a buoy out attached to the anchor and took the kids on the tube for about 20 minutes. I thought I saw a boat near my anchor but I thought they were about 200 yards away. I didn't really think too much about it because I thought they were so far from it - I didn't go back at that point. You guessed it, someone stole my anchor, rope and buoy. The water was only 8-10 feet and I had a bright white rope and buoy, so we made sure the rope wasn't just sitting on the bottom. I know it was snagged.

Then we go back to the back of the lake and there are a few people surfing and wake boarding. I am sitting on the side of the lake by myself filling up my ballast with a flag up on my tower so the kids could swim. This guy comes about 30 feet away from me pulling some kids on a tube. He doesn't just pass by me, he circles around me like I am a buoy and he is running a course. I give him a dirty look as he passes. Then he goes down the lake, turns around and comes back. This time he is about 50 feet from me and turns in front of me, instead of circling me. His tube swung right by us. Then I watch him running about 50 feet on the side of a guy in a G23 wake surfing, go past them and circle around him so he could hit the wake surfing wake. After that, he swings around a wakesetter that just dropped their rider. They go away for a few minutes. At this point I am done filling my ballast. I see the guy come back towards us and stop. I gun it right at him, turn and go about 30 feet from him. Not once, but twice, in a complete 720 - while my wife is yelling at me to stop. His boat is rocking like crazy. I stop right by him and yell at him, "That is what it feels like when someone is circling around you too close. Stop driving around everyone." I wait for a response, get a blank stare. Then I leave and go to the other side of the lake.

Couple of things about the whole situation. First, I just snapped and couldn't help myself. This guy was my tipping point for the day. I should have just drove over to him and told him what he was doing wrong. He probably had no clue and didn't know what he was doing. Instead, I only made the situation worse by driving around him and yelling at him. After we got to the other side of the lake, I realized what I did and told my kids and our friends I was sorry for going a little crazy. I told my kids they should never do that and it was the wrong thing to do. I told them I should have went over and told the guy what he was doing wrong. I have to thank my dad for snapping at other people and giving me that trait to deal with.

So, with that novel written, has anyone had similar situations or am I the only idiot in the bunch?