Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
I was headed to the lake on Sunday and when I connected my truck to the trailer, I was not able to get the reverse lockout to release so I could back up. I had a problem with it the week before. My truck got backed into the water too far and water was in the trailer plug. I hoped it would have dried and started working. Well, I looked to see if I had any fuses blown and didn't see anything. Pulled out a meter and found I had no power getting through the 7-5 pin adapter. I hoped it was the adapter so I ran to the parts store and bought a new one. It was not. I finally gave up and started getting the boat ready. When we got to the lake, I just flipped the 5 pin upside down and turned on my lights so we could backup. Troubleshooting took about an hour so we had to tell some friends we were going to be an hour behind.

So we get to the lake, get the boat in, get our friends on. We go back to a cove, I throw my box anchor over and we were hanging out for an hour or so. I put a buoy out attached to the anchor and took the kids on the tube for about 20 minutes. I thought I saw a boat near my anchor but I thought they were about 200 yards away. I didn't really think too much about it because I thought they were so far from it - I didn't go back at that point. You guessed it, someone stole my anchor, rope and buoy. The water was only 8-10 feet and I had a bright white rope and buoy, so we made sure the rope wasn't just sitting on the bottom. I know it was snagged.

Then we go back to the back of the lake and there are a few people surfing and wake boarding. I am sitting on the side of the lake by myself filling up my ballast with a flag up on my tower so the kids could swim. This guy comes about 30 feet away from me pulling some kids on a tube. He doesn't just pass by me, he circles around me like I am a buoy and he is running a course. I give him a dirty look as he passes. Then he goes down the lake, turns around and comes back. This time he is about 50 feet from me and turns in front of me, instead of circling me. His tube swung right by us. Then I watch him running about 50 feet on the side of a guy in a G23 wake surfing, go past them and circle around him so he could hit the wake surfing wake. After that, he swings around a wakesetter that just dropped their rider. They go away for a few minutes. At this point I am done filling my ballast. I see the guy come back towards us and stop. I gun it right at him, turn and go about 30 feet from him. Not once, but twice, in a complete 720 - while my wife is yelling at me to stop. His boat is rocking like crazy. I stop right by him and yell at him, "That is what it feels like when someone is circling around you too close. Stop driving around everyone." I wait for a response, get a blank stare. Then I leave and go to the other side of the lake.

Couple of things about the whole situation. First, I just snapped and couldn't help myself. This guy was my tipping point for the day. I should have just drove over to him and told him what he was doing wrong. He probably had no clue and didn't know what he was doing. Instead, I only made the situation worse by driving around him and yelling at him. After we got to the other side of the lake, I realized what I did and told my kids and our friends I was sorry for going a little crazy. I told my kids they should never do that and it was the wrong thing to do. I told them I should have went over and told the guy what he was doing wrong. I have to thank my dad for snapping at other people and giving me that trait to deal with.

So, with that novel written, has anyone had similar situations or am I the only idiot in the bunch?
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-02-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
I had a similar situation, some one did that to me circling while I was switching riders. Man the waves hit us so hard the boat got tossed all over, people went flying out of there seats, a ballast bag flew out.. I WAS SO PISSED.. I would have went after him like you if I didn't have to rescue my bag out of the water.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-02-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
I've snapped at a guy on my lake once, he always feigns ignorance but is a course skier... For instance I moved to another part of the lake to ride so he could ski the course in peace, 1/2 hour later he is doing tube donuts at the head of my run jacking the water to sh*t. The next day we were riding near the course and he pulled directly in front of me so I had to sharply cut the throttle and stop my buddy from riding. Snapped, loudly told him he was wrong, dangerous and a jerk - without swearing, he got all offended and said he didn't do anything wrong ever, had a friend call him out on it saying he knows the drill and that us doing that to him would've elicited the same response, ever since then, he asks us to ski just like we always coordinated with him to allow him to ski the course when it was smooth.

Didn't do donuts around him but some people need to be loudly talked to because they really don't get it.

I deal with the jet skiers the same way, as well as a guy who was boat tailgating me said he was "surfing my wave" I said "oh yea, you were stuck in my wave and would've run into me if I wasn't paying attention, don't ever follow me that close, and never follow me when I'm pulling a rider". His wife gave me the bird but he was embarrassed knowing he really wasn't in control of his vessel and was chine locked on my wake.

Last edited by wakebordr11; 10-02-2012 at 9:47 AM.
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-02-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
This fisher kept inching closer and closer to a SKI COURSE and we were riding way before he inched up. Told him to back up and he wouldn't. Had my driver pull me right by and I carve and spray em. He follows me back to my dock on tr phone with the cops. Tries to say I attempted murder and also told me I'm lucky he didn't shoot me (I live in FL) while he's on my front porch with the deputy. I tell em if they are done I'd like to take my ticket so they could leave. Turns out the guy had no grounds on attempted murder and the cop made sure he got off my property without altercation
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-02-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Get an air horn for $15. Just don't point it at anyone because it can cause ear pain/damage. Not sure how far away you can hear it but it has to be a couple thousand yards. Normally it will stop anyone in the area in their tracks. Fun too.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-02-2012, 10:11 AM Reply   
I snap on jet skiers all the time while I'm ridin even. Following behind us.. I'll drop the rope and start bitching my face off.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-02-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
I'll laugh off drunk douchebags at the bar looking to fight and have no problem walking away from disrespectful idiots. I'd simply rather move on and go about my business elsewhere and not let it ruin the day but there's something about folks being stupid on the water that hits a nerve and all cool headed logic goes straight out the window lol

I'd honestly rather deal with an ******* that's being difficult for the sake of being difficult than someone who is ignorant of the rules on the water. IMO an ignorant, untrained boater/PWC operator is far more dangerous.

Have I snapped before? How about I tell you in a few more years once the statute of limitations is up haha
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-02-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
I have a similar story - boat pulled up on the beach between two boats bigger than mine. Windy day-idiot with a 10x10 shade canopy uses the small tent anchors that come with it to hold it in place, they are swimming, canopy blows end over end down the beach, gust takes it up and over big boat next to me and lands on my boat- $500 in gelcoat damage, we exhcange information, i call and call and never hear from him, call my lawyer and they say pretty much nothing you can do, same day - now we leave beach, go wakeboarding, a jetskier pinches me off while i am towing a rider at 22 mph, coming left to right (i have right if way here, bigger and he is on my port side) he goes so close past my bow, it was with 10' of his head and his jet wash covered my boat. My wife tensed up and prepared for impact as well as i, she was sore for 3 days just from tensing up so much. I couldn't help myself - I unloaded on this guy, he scared everyone on my boat - the crew that day was non-boaters - they haven't been out since thanks to that guy. I tracked down warden and DPS and reported hom and his reg. numbers.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
Why are people so stupid? We had a similar situation. Freind had a barge out on the lake that we tied up the boats to and had a campout on. Best time ever. Next morning some serious Wallys (orange PFDs, gloves) start wakeboarding in their Malibu and going within 10 feet of us. He literally ran over our fish hooks (which we cast out as they came by for the 8th time ricking the **** out of our boat). Finally I just pulled my boat out and went right in his way as he tried to drive by. They were so close the rider could have high 5'd us. It was rediculous and dangerous. They also lived on the lake so I think they were just trying to show us that "No one" owned the lake and they could ride where ever they wanted. Classy.

As for your anchor, we did the same thign this summer with our Tube and actually caught a family with it 3 miles away trying to steal it. We were blown away. The best part was my 4 year old at the bow of the boat yelling at them "Give us our tube back!!!". Guy claimed he was bringing it in for us to his private marina miles away. ya right.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-02-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
Didn't go off outwardly, but wanted to so bad I could hardly contain my frustration.

Lake Dunlap - Summer of 2008. A child, and I mean child, was operating a jet ski without an adult or life jacket. He couldn't have been older than 10. That's bad enough... but as we towed a rider he kept riding parallel to us, watching our rider, trying to get us to race. He would look our way waving and head nodding while giving his ski gas and then letting off for hundreds of yards... not once looking forward. Lake Dunlap is sketchy enough while paying complete attention to your surroundings let alone when an underage jet skiier decides he wants to race and won't take no for an answer. I'm sure his parents were gone, no parent in their right mind would let their child endanger themselves as well as everyone else on the lake, right?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-02-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
^ That was ridiculous and dangerous for you to almost hit a rider Levi, and Dave S, some situations are unavoidable but if I see someone coming or a jet skier about to cut me off, I slow down/avoid it... If we towboat drivers are so responsible and recognize all these dangerous spots, we've got to do our best to mitigate and avoid them, we can yell afterwards but assuming right of way when you're almost running someone over - even when it's their fault, I just yield

Last edited by wakebordr11; 10-02-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-02-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
I can't believe you guys control yourselves so well. Very first sign of douchebaggery from someone and they get cussed at and appropriate sign language is used. Then it just escalates from there to launching objects at them at so on.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-02-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
^^Right of way does not prevail over the responsibility of all boaters to avoid a collision.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-02-2012, 11:19 AM Reply   
I'd have to admit I am the first one to run to the back of the boat and start yelling, cursing and using hand gesture's at someone that really pisses me off. Mostly I did this in my younger years. I haven't done it in a while and am also trying to realize that most of the other people on the lake around me have no clue what the heck they are doing or have any clue what waterway common sense would be. I have also had people do circles around my boat and which isn't very high out of the water so I'm usually taking on water or have to start the boat and get on the throttle to get the bow up. My worst and most proud moment at the same time was staying calm, taking a mental picture of the boat , finding the trailer at the boat launch parking lot and letting the air out of both tires on one side of the trailer.
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-02-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
Buddy was teaching his kid to pull skiers a couple years ago, and I was a guinea pig. While he's towing me a jetski cut across his bow from port side ridiculously close. He killed the throttle and cranked a turn. Meantime jetski dork comes over to tell me that as smaller craft he has right of way and we almost killed him. At this point I lost it and threatened to provide custom dental work with my ski. Eventually I was in the boat, and trying to explain how I could have handeled it better. I told him I could've handeled that much better. He said he had noticed but not to worry. When he saw that I hadn't flipped the guy off he took care of that for me.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-02-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
^thats what I'm talking about, if someone would have done that to me, they would be missing a few teeth already. Maybe I need to lay off the coffee and energy drinks a little.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-02-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
Water ballon launchers or sling shots and m&ms.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-02-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
Yeah...im about to snap at the following 3 people

1. Whoever is in charge of releasing the damn gopro wifi app...get ur act together!!!
2. Lifeproof for not releasing a new case yet for the hottest phone ever even though everyone else is spitting cases out
3. Does my boss count? Cant wait till the day i leave. Its a damn shame I report to someone who knows so little and feels threatened by me taking her job. Everyone is disposable but u couldnt pay me enough to take ur job honey!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-02-2012, 1:07 PM Reply   
A few years ago I was floating in the water at the end of the rope explaining to my buddy how to pull me behind my boat. There is this guy trying to teach his buddy to barefoot on a training boom. The guy is paying all his attention to his buddy on the end of the boom. WE just watch him keep coming directly at us..closer and closer. Keep in mind they are barefooting so coming pretty fast. We started yelling and screaming and waving...didn't matter he was watching his buddy on the boom. At the last second the the guy veered and killed the throttle. He had to have got to within 30 feet of me in the water. I had some choice words for the guy and he had the nerve to cuss me out after he almost ran me down.

The guy did come back about an hour later and apologize and iIdid as well.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2012, 1:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Yeah...im about to snap at the following 3 people

1. Whoever is in charge of releasing the damn gopro wifi app...get ur act together!!!
2. Lifeproof for not releasing a new case yet for the hottest phone ever even though everyone else is spitting cases out
3. Does my boss count? Cant wait till the day i leave. Its a damn shame I report to someone who knows so little and feels threatened by me taking her job. Everyone is disposable but u couldnt pay me enough to take ur job honey!

Don't get me started on that wifi app. I didn't mention it in this post, but the day before this I went out with a buddy on his boat with my brand new gopro and remote. The first time I tried to pull the rope in, I had the remote in one hand, I let go of it and sure enough it drops into the water never to be seen again. Now the question is do I buy a new remote - if it's an option, might have to buy the backpack again - or do I wait for the app?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-02-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
Contact gopro in your case...for all i care i'll be giving away all my gopro mounts if its not out by december.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-02-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
How bout - karma or paybacks are a b@#$%

Found a nice spot on a beach to set up day camp with another boating family 1/2 hour later 4 boats show up and they unload a bunch of people and canopies,etc. Then the music starts. Its loud but no so loud. Then it turns into full crank with bass so I can't even hear myself think.

I catch the guys eye and motion for him to turn it down. The response - its a public beach. I breath and say true - it is public that's why we should show respect to the public around us. He keeps it up for a bit and then turns it down.

Then the in and out of the cove starts at full speed so now the our boats are getting shoved around by rollers. My friend stays at camp while I take everyone out surfing.

Come back an hour later and find out - yup - he had to be towed back to the marina----oh his battery died. Perfect payback and I didn't even raise my voice...I swear I didnt'...really!!!
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-02-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
Where do i begin.Just to save me writing 10 paragraphs suffice it to say that we are only human and can only take so much crap before we snap.You did others a service by showing this ass what he does to countless others.I always try my best to avoid other boaters and keep a good distance.I remember a jet skier hitting my wake just behind my rider and went flying off his jet ski arms flailing yelling.YES
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-02-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
People are just inconsiderate. This year it seems like the bass tournament guys are the worst. Every Fri afternoon they are doing 60 up the lake in packs of 10 as they are released. The first time we were surfing and someone fell, we tried to get back as quick as possible but they don't think anything at all about going by at 60mph 30ft away from someone in the water or a boat sitting still. That time the first guy with the fastest boat caught the big wakes it almost threw both of them out of the boat. At the ramp everyone is waiting in line to load and they just jump in front 2 and 3 at a time.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-02-2012, 2:42 PM Reply   
^^^Easy fix...run a rope across the channel. Thatll stop them pretty darn quick.

Theyre probably upset that wakeboats have stolen their ideas of the metallic glittery paint schemes
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
^ That was ridiculous and dangerous for you to almost hit a rider Levi, and Dave S, some situations are unavoidable but if I see someone coming or a jet skier about to cut me off, I slow down/avoid it... If we towboat drivers are so responsible and recognize all these dangerous spots, we've got to do our best to mitigate and avoid them, we can yell afterwards but assuming right of way when you're almost running someone over - even when it's their fault, I just yield
I should have been more clear. My friends m=Moomba was anchored 60 feet away. Yes 60 feet and this bvoat was trying to go in between our barge and this Moomba. They had already done it it was downright rediculous. When they were about 400 yards away coming directly at us AGAIN for the 10th time I putted my boat direct in their line so they couldn't go by. No one was in danger, I am a very resposible boater. Thh only people putting other at risk was them.
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       10-02-2012, 3:32 PM Reply   
I have not snapped at the lake but I have at the local shopping mall.

I waited for someone to leave a covered parking spot and then pulled slightly past the spot to back into the spot. I even had my turn signal on. Usually I don't care about the shade but it was one of those 110+ degree days. A young kid (probably high school) pulled his S10 Xtreme pick up into the spot. Literally jumped out and ran towards the mall.

So I went and found a spot out in the sun and walked back to the kids truck. I put a size 10 boot into every panel on that truck. Except the hood and the roof. I held it together enough to avoid jumping up and down on top of the truck.

What did I learn? Nothing, but it was a god damned good feeling crushing that steel in. I kinda wish I could have see his face when he came back but he could have been late to job for all I know. I bet he learned something.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-02-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
Wow^^^
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-02-2012, 3:39 PM Reply   
I sure do. Every single time im out on Vics at the delta and its sunset, and I look down the run of pure glass and theres no one around and get pulled up to ride, and low and behold there are these rollers that go for pretty much the entire 2+ mile long run and the bow of my boat is bouncing up and down for the entire run. I let go, get in the boat, and drive all the way to the other end, turn the corner, and guess what - ITS A SURFER!
Everytime that happens - i loose it just a little bit.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-02-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I should have been more clear. My friends m=Moomba was anchored 60 feet away. Yes 60 feet and this bvoat was trying to go in between our barge and this Moomba. They had already done it it was downright rediculous. When they were about 400 yards away coming directly at us AGAIN for the 10th time I putted my boat direct in their line so they couldn't go by. No one was in danger, I am a very resposible boater. Thh only people putting other at risk was them.
Well, you weren't responsible putting YOU in their warpath, that'll just push them closer to the moomba or the barge. I'd also like to see a layout because I've seen some crazy ways people like to organize a make shift mooring field taking up precious real estate of smooth water. If they were riders, stop em and ask them what the eff they're doing, but I'm not a proponent of intercepting lines, getting close to people, etc. Guess I would've had to be there though.

I stay away from people. My folks live on a lake and we've had a canoe and tube stolen off our dock, never vandalism but nothing would make my heart sink more like having a vandalized boat and knowing I confronted some jack wagon and he got the best of me after dark with no way to prove it.

Last edited by wakebordr11; 10-02-2012 at 3:50 PM.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-02-2012, 3:49 PM Reply   
Bass boats can keep their god awful glitter paint. Reminds me of my dads 70's tri hull, and that thing is ugly! Some trends just should stay buried
Old     (ApplebyMommy)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-02-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
We pull our little kids all the time behind our boat and my biggest pet peeves are jet skiers jumping our wake and other boats following directly behind us! Clearly my kids are "little" and they have no very minimal control over when they fall at this point. This Summer I had a friend who had a boat literally chop their rope b/c it cut between them and her 9 year old daughter on a kneeboard.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-02-2012, 4:48 PM Reply   
That is when it is okay to hunt someone down and stomp out their car.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-02-2012, 4:56 PM Reply   
^^^^^ +1
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-02-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
Agree. I dont have kids but if anyone was doing that with my little ones in tow. There will be a confrontation for sure.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplebyMommy View Post
We pull our little kids all the time behind our boat and my biggest pet peeves are jet skiers jumping our wake and other boats following directly behind us! Clearly my kids are "little" and they have no very minimal control over when they fall at this point. This Summer I had a friend who had a boat literally chop their rope b/c it cut between them and her 9 year old daughter on a kneeboard.
At that point, some guy would not be coming home from the lake.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-02-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
Wait so you were pulling a kneeboard and somebody drove their boat between your boat and the kneeboarder? were you moving or stopped? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       10-02-2012, 5:43 PM Reply   
I know a guy who packs a pistol to the lake for that exact reason. He is crazy enough to use it too......
Old     (ApplebyMommy)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-02-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf1985 View Post
Wait so you were pulling a kneeboard and somebody drove their boat between your boat and the kneeboarder? were you moving or stopped? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.
They were stopped but the line was out to her on the kneeboard. That same day a jet ski ran right by their kids swimming at their dock going about 30 in a very narrow slough.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
Scenario was we are on a 9 mile long lake. Its a huge lake and there were 2 boats on the whole lake riding and they had miles of shorline to ride along. They were awful wakeboarders and the guy literally had a $15 walmart PFD and what looked like bike gloves. We were the only 2 boats tied to the Barge (a 25ft by 25ft flat deck barge), and this barge was about 50ft from shore. We moved the moomba because everytime he drove by between us and shore the waves would rock the heck out of the moomba so we moved it out into the open lake. Then they started going on the opposite side of the barge between us and the Moomba. Believe me, these were dick moves and it was a dad doing it with his kids setting a terrible example. He had a whole lake to ride and was choosing this to show "us" how no one owned the lake and they could ride where ever they wanted.

I just moved my boat inbetween us and the Moomba so he had where to go and I did so while they were very far away so they couldn't miss us. These people had a million dollar lake front house and a Malibu so you would ASSUME they knew something about courtsey on the water.... nope.

I thought about drawing up a diagram to explain it then I realized all the effort is just to explain it to some guy on Wakeworld who doubts me, so I opted not too lol. In the end these folks were jerks and doing it on purpose to prove a point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Well, you weren't responsible putting YOU in their warpath, that'll just push them closer to the moomba or the barge. I'd also like to see a layout because I've seen some crazy ways people like to organize a make shift mooring field taking up precious real estate of smooth water. If they were riders, stop em and ask them what the eff they're doing, but I'm not a proponent of intercepting lines, getting close to people, etc. Guess I would've had to be there though.

I stay away from people. My folks live on a lake and we've had a canoe and tube stolen off our dock, never vandalism but nothing would make my heart sink more like having a vandalized boat and knowing I confronted some jack wagon and he got the best of me after dark with no way to prove it.

Last edited by 501s; 10-02-2012 at 7:00 PM.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-02-2012, 9:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf1985 View Post
Yeah that happened to me and tucker McElroy back in 07 on canyon lake. He fell while riding (during the middle of winter so that lake is nearly dead) some idiot in a Bayliner doesn't notice our rider or rider down flag, runs in between our fallen rider and our boat and runs over our line. We yelled and screamed to stop before he drags our boat over or damaged the tower. we pulled the guy in by the prop to our boat to remove the trashed line. Giving him choice words while doing this. Tucker was ready to kill the guy but he was with his family, so he let him live. That was after we took whatever rope he had and $50
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-02-2012, 9:58 PM Reply   
Hahaha he gave you $50? I would have told him to cough up a credit card or I'll drown him. Tie him up with whats left of the rope to a couple lead bags.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-02-2012, 10:14 PM Reply   
Hahaha, we took what money he had and rope. Compared to the stories on this thread, we actually came out with getting something back rather than stolen or $500 in vinyl damages
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-02-2012, 11:14 PM Reply   
Idiots from L.A. coming to Lake Elsinore and renting jet skis with no experience. I nearly ran one over this summer who was getting to close to a 10 year old I had behind my boat. I quickly power turned and got between the jet skier and my rider. We nearly collided and it would have been bad all around but I haven't experience road rage like that in a long time. Just snapped! I lost my voice screaming at him and begging him to step onto my boat. Childish tough guy thing where I lost control of my emotions and the friends in my boat said they'd never seen me so hot. JUST SNAPPED...
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-03-2012, 5:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Scenario was we are on a 9 mile long lake. Its a huge lake and there were 2 boats on the whole lake riding and they had miles of shorline to ride along. They were awful wakeboarders and the guy literally had a $15 walmart PFD and what looked like bike gloves. We were the only 2 boats tied to the Barge (a 25ft by 25ft flat deck barge), and this barge was about 50ft from shore. We moved the moomba because everytime he drove by between us and shore the waves would rock the heck out of the moomba so we moved it out into the open lake. Then they started going on the opposite side of the barge between us and the Moomba. Believe me, these were dick moves and it was a dad doing it with his kids setting a terrible example. He had a whole lake to ride and was choosing this to show "us" how no one owned the lake and they could ride where ever they wanted.

I just moved my boat inbetween us and the Moomba so he had where to go and I did so while they were very far away so they couldn't miss us. These people had a million dollar lake front house and a Malibu so you would ASSUME they knew something about courtsey on the water.... nope.

I thought about drawing up a diagram to explain it then I realized all the effort is just to explain it to some guy on Wakeworld who doubts me, so I opted not too lol. In the end these folks were jerks and doing it on purpose to prove a point.....
Sounds reasonable - long day, was being testy haha. I know how you feel with those dads who think they're giving their kids the best experience by driving them near shore and docks etc, when their kid doesn't have good depth perception and could at any time edge out and hit the fixed object on accident. Our crew will ride in close quarters, but I don't let any rider I'm driving get within that 70ft rope length window of someone we know because I don't know if they know how to control themselves.

Give them the "what's up arms" people are usually clueless
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-03-2012, 6:24 AM Reply   
I've lost it quiet a few times with pwc. Our lake has a designated area for them and our lake patrol is normally real good about sitting at the line and nailing the ones who leave their area.

I did have one instance where we got the final laugh. While filling my bags I was running at surf speed and kind of watching the pwc's jumping the wake at legal distance. I heard a crash and my gf said they just hit each other. Yup, two old old school yamaha sit down had smacked each other. No kill switches and idiots. The throttle got stuck and put it into a 4-5mph circle. The driver didn't knowwhat to do as it kept circling him. So my good buddy put on a jacket and I nosed the boat close enough that he could jump into the circle then backed out real fast after he jumped. He got it all shut down then we drug it as it sunk back to the beach. It was priceless and good knowing one less idiotic pwc would be on the water that day.

The worst time has been when my fiance was surfing and a jetski came right up our wake. He got so close that she jumped onto the swim deck and he ended up hitting the surf board. I pinned the throttle and turned trying to honestly hit the bastard but didn't suceed. The whole boat was screaming at him and he just took off. We dumped the bags and went back to the ramp and saw his pwc sitting on a beach by the ramp but no one in sight. We waited there for about 20 minutes. Everyone we asked hadn't seen the driver. If it wasn't for my girl and my best friends girl talking us out of it, we were going to take his ski pull the plug and leave it in the middle of the lake slowly sinking.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-03-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
Yes I have. I do not have any patience when my kids are wakeboarding (14&9 yr old girls). If I think your too close or trying to jump my wake, I have no problem shutting my boat down and asking you to leave the area. I was on lake Broken Bow earlier this year and had my niece riding. There was a See Doo boat jumping my wake and riding directly behind the boat and I very quickly told him where to take that boat. Other than that I realize there are a lot of RE RE's on PWC's out there.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-03-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
This topic just made me relive some moments and made me think I have some anger management issues. The only time I have really ever flipped my lid has been on the water and every time it has involved a PWC. I am glad that the lake we most frequent now hardly has any PWCs.

I grew up going to the Kings River in Central Cali and that can be a dangerous waterway. I have no idea how PWCs are still legal there.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-03-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
^ Makes me wonder, someone who admits to possibly having 'anger management issues' what 'flipping your lid' means... The car stomper up above, that might be flipping your lid haha
Old    9Drozd            10-03-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
I've never actually snapped on another boater as i have to keep reminding myself that its a public lake, and we go during the week and very seldom are there more than 3 other boats at our usual spot so we don't have to deal with retard boaters. But I did snap on a few of my friends this past summer after coming back from from party cove, they left all their trash in the boat, didn't help clean up or offer for gas, and they even drank most of my beer. I cursed them up one side and down the other. I've never been so pissed in my life. I guess common courtesy is not so common anymore.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-03-2012, 1:46 PM Reply   
I try not to ride during the weekend days, dawn or dusk, in and out. as a result i usually just deal with fisherman or pontoon boats...
but the fisherman drive me up a WALL.
theres been numerous times, i love it when you run a line down the middle of the lake all morning long and a fisherman decides to troll his way into your line, then gives you dirty looks when you dip their bow. or when they run 60 MPH up your arse because they cant cross your wake...
Old     (pennsforest04)      Join Date: Jan 2012       10-03-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
I've haven't snapped yet, but get pretty annoyed whenever a pontoon or kayakers (who have no business being in the middle of the main corridor of our lake in the first place) look at me bobbing in the water about to get up, and then at my boat directly in front of me, and finally just continue to meander along about 10 yards in front of my boat at a dead crawl. I don't know if they are too stupid to make the connection between me in the water holding a highly visible neon green line that attaches to my boat or just don't care. Later on you'll see those same kayakers or pontoons surrounded by a small fleet of rafts and tubes filled with kids floating 15 feet apart from each other in every possible direction, bottling up the narrowest part of the lake therefore ensuring the biggest CLUSTER**** in the world.

There's plenty of others, but that problem seemed to be the most prevalent this season.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-03-2012, 8:59 PM Reply   
^just pretend your boat is a little ice breaker boat and kindly push the little kayaks and tubes aside
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-03-2012, 10:23 PM Reply   
I could fill this page with stories, but I might snap just re-living them! But, I will say I've ollied and bonked/slid a few sea-doos for revenge the next morning. They were so hammered they prob thought they did it anyways.
Old     (tims72)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-04-2012, 9:27 PM Reply   
we have a place on the water at our vacation lake. so we keep our boat in the water for the days we are their. 300 yrds away, a 5 mph bouy starts and continues thru the end of the lake. so a bunch of us we're coming in the wakesurfing and seeing a guy with his teenage boys sking in the 5 mph area. i drive next to him and tell him this is a no skiing area. he tells me dont tell me what to do i've been doing this longer than you've been around. i continue to tell him not too,til im damn near get in a screaming match with the guy. i tell him it does damage to all the boats in this community with the waves rocking the boats. he tells me he belongs to the same community and i tell him hes an idiot for destroying his communities/ partners boats. so by then its too dark and he cant get his last section in. i park the boat for the night tie it up to the dock put my fenders out etc. the next morning i wake up to a boat speeding by and notice someone skiing behind it. i head downto the lake, check on my boat as its rocking back and forth and notice a fender had popped up onto the dock instead of between the boat. then i go to fix the fender and notice my gelcoat had been scratched to hell where the fender should have been rubbing, but was replaced by a cleat when the fender popped out. PISSED to say the least. i did snap on the guy one more time and also called the cops and made note for the community board meeting that the other boater served on. needless to say he didnt like me throwing him under the bus with his over collueges.