Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-27-2008, 11:53 PM Reply   
well i finally made a purchase this past weekend. I bought a 1998 Super Air Nautique. I've had it on the water for the past weekend and absolutely love it! however one glaring issue is it does not have any board racks on the factory tower. does anyone have a lead on a relatively cheap rack? new or used? i just want something decent that does the job. also the horizontal bars on the original tower are very skinny. anyone know what size they are? i dont have a caliper to measure them so im not positive. also, the original stereo is on the weak side, would a new head unit help my cause? i dont want anything crazy just want to upgrade slightly from the raspy underamped sound. thanks alot, im still trying to figure out how to resize the pics, so ill try to post them soon or if someone has a program i could email them to resize them. thanks all! take care.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-28-2008, 12:01 AM Reply   
i didn't know they made a super air in '98? is it an air nautique maybe or a super sport? better yet, v-drive or direct drive? either way, might check this site under accessories as a good starting point for racks and other goods.. congrats!
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-28-2008, 12:46 AM Reply   
thanks alot, ya its a v-drive, had 296 hours on it when purchased. has the big AIR graphics on the side and came with the original flight control tower. i dont know what the deal is either cause my insurance couldnt find it either listed as a super air, but its not decorated like a super sport and it came with a tower. o well, hope to have pics up soon.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-28-2008, 5:08 AM Reply   
Sounds like a ss done up like a san? I dont they had an air v drive that year.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-28-2008, 5:31 AM Reply   
The first super air was in 98, as was the first air and pro air. The first SAN has some very distinct graphics.

Don't know the diameter of the bars on the original FCT off hand. I think its 1 7/8 but you may need to ask over at planetnautique.com. check out DIYWake.com for cheap racks. I'm also happy with the monster racks.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-28-2008, 5:41 AM Reply   
Actually, now that I look 99 was the first SAN and pro. These are the graphics I was thinking of:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/1999_brochure/index.asp?page=16

(Message edited by bremsen on May 28, 2008)
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-28-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
The origional FCT is 1 7/8" diameter. I would just get some Monster Tower racks since they have the included spacers for getting the right size and are solid racks for the money. If you want to spend less then also check the 4 sale boards on this site because people are always selling racks for less then the cost new. I have a 2000 SAN so pretty much the same ride so hope you enjoy the new toy. I replaced my deck with an Alpine head unit with the iPod control and connection and it works great so you might want to go that route.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-28-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
If you search google for 'web pic resize' you can find site that will resize easily.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
we had these on our old boat and they worked fine and are dirt cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wakeboard-Rack-Kit-for-Boat-Tower-w-Protective-Sleeves_W0QQitemZ190223992676QQihZ009QQcategoryZ47 363QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-28-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
thanks for all the great info guys! another question, i have a few interior issues i want to fix as well, one is i have about a 1 inch gash in the vinyl on the rear deck and its right in the middle, is there anything at all that can be done other than having it reupholstered? i just want to make sure it doesnt get worse, i dont need it to be completely unnoticable just want to repair it best as possible. thanks alot and ill keep digging for info on what this boat really is! and try to get some pics up tonight.

-Jeff
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-28-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
lets try these....Upload
Upload
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-28-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
ive looked around and found a few other so called 98 Super Air's and some of them have the word "super" in front of the air nautique on the side and some dont, but from what i can tell its not called a super sport and no where on my boat does it say super sport. and from what i know at least it being a v-drive makes it a super instead of just an air, correct? who knows?! enjoy the pics.

(Message edited by ruste on May 28, 2008)
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-28-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
nice colors.. def a super sport with air graphics.. updated decals are a nice upgrade to any boat.. as for your upholstery issue, you would be surprised at how easy it is to re-upholster that rear section yourself.. buy the vinyl, maybe some foam and staple gun.. done. or, you can get at it from underneath and patch the underside in same color and adhere together sealing the gash..
Old    K.B.C.            05-28-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
the super sport and super air are the same exact boat minus the wake options (tower, ballast, PP).

That does look like an SS with the 'Air' graphics. The first SAN logos were the ones posted above that are cursive style. The graphics you have were originally used on the DD 'AIR' Nautiques before the SAN was introduced.

Nice boat, you'll love it. I know I love mine.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-28-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
nice boat. what'd you pay for it?
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-28-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
i got a set of wake design racks for sale that i have done a little work on. they are completely black. actually looks really good. They might need a rubber insert but the insert is only like 20 bucks i think. im sellin both for 225. pm if you are interested.
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-28-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
Nick got any pics? and are you interested in selling just one? thanks alot.

and to all others, yes i love this boat already, it really does it all, and wake is fantastic.

Jeff
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-28-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
Dont put just 1 rack on the tower please, its a Nautique it deserves at least 2 racks.JK
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-28-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
yes, a couple racks on the tower and a couple more "racks" in the observer's seats..
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-28-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
i have to put them back together from workin on them. ill get pics up tomorrow. they are at the shop. id like to sell them together. I got to get enough to buy a monster rack. i got one when i bought the boat. but like they said. it looks stupid with only one rack on the boat.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-29-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
Word of advice...

You own a Nautique now, don't slap anything cheap on it just to get by. You wouldn't put flames on a Porsche would ya? If need be wait until you have the dough to buy quality add ons.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-29-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
check out nautiqueskins.com. I got a rear seat back and sun pad for a reasonable price. It was an exact fit and color match. They have all the factory patterns.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-29-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
Agree with Cliff's advice above. Save up to get something nice or buy used from this site or planetnautique.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-29-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
IMHO a 1 inch gash is nothing to go replacing an entire skin on. Personally I think you could get away taking it to an upholstery shop for a quick repair. Yes it would still be notice-able but a lot cheaper. Then you could start saving towards a 3 hatch conversion.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-30-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
ok jeff. if your still interested in the racks let me know. I got pics, just cant get them to post on here. i will email you pics. that also gos for anyone else interested. im also gonna put them in the "for sale" forum.

jeff has first dibs though.

I still need to add one more coat of paint. and i cant believe i did this but i lost of the 3 screws. i am gonna go to a store in town and get 3 more just like the originals. thats no extra charge.
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-31-2008, 11:04 PM Reply   
Nick great, i'd love some pics, please email to mcoupejeff@hotmail.com
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-01-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Jeff just to let you know that slalom pole can be removed if you don't use it. I removed the one in my 00 nauti because I kept hitting it when I would get out of the driver seat. You have to go in through the ski locker and it is 3 u bolts to undo and it pulls out. It makes the interior seem bigger and easier to access ski locker and front seat
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-01-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
ya i was looking at that and realized i could remove it, but what did you plug the hole with? and what do you use to support the cover since it's gone? my cover has a cutout for that hole. thanks alot Dave.

Jeff
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-01-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
The original FCT had a diameter of 1 5/8" and the 2nd generation FCT had a diameter of 1 7/8". You have the original FCT.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-01-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
to fill the hole just go to your local plumbing supply store and find a "toe-saver floor plug".. purchase one a little larger in diameter than the opening and should thread in nicely.. it is a good fix and temporary if you decide to put pylon back in or sell boat.. less than 6$..

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-333-pvc-plugs-and-caps/toe-saver-floor-plug-185819.aspx
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-01-2008, 11:13 PM Reply   
so is 1 5/8's the main pipe diameters or the cross bars? because from what i can tell the horizontal cross bars are even smaller. thanks again, and fox, thanks for the idea on the hole filler! great stuff guys and gals!

thanks again, jeff