Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       07-12-2018, 9:11 AM Reply   
Has anyone watched it yet? I downloaded it and had my first watch. I think they did a great job with what riders were involved and the cinematography.

Spoiler alert below-

One thing I found interesting is the film was mostly either winch or boat, with some park rails sprinkled in. There were barely any cable kicker hits. I usually think of boat and winch as opposite sides of the wakeboard spectrum, but here they were. Maybe this was just by chance, or maybe it represents something else. One other sport I would compare it to is snowboarding. Back in the 2000s a lot of videos featured park riding with some street and some backcountry lines/jumps. Nowadays it's basically all backcountry or street, with very little park riding (excluding web edits, talking full features here)
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       07-12-2018, 7:45 PM Reply   
Not yet but what I've seen so far looks sick!
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-13-2018, 12:02 AM Reply   
I pre ordered it. A lot of the guys killed it on the street spots they hit. I think its difficult for a lot of viewers to really understand what goes into hitting some of those spots and how difficult some of those hits are. These guys have some serious skills. With that said. I wish there was more boat riding and the soundtrack isn't my jam.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-18-2018, 9:23 AM Reply   
Interesting take on the lack of wakepark footage and snowboard videos and the lack of Park. Maybe the reason is because you can show up at any Cable Park or Snowboard Park and watch people ride for free. They are very accessible to the public and as such lose some of their video appeal. There are also countless contests at both making them more common. Back country hits or "Street Hits" are just something you can't/don't see everyday so maybe that is why they appeal to the public more.

The thing about "Street" wakeboarding, at least to me, is they appeal so a smaller market. Core "13-25 year olds". as a 41 year old father of 3, I will never be hitting "Street Spots" on a wakeboard, so Im not really interested in watching it. Also, sometime it just seems forced. 10 foot take off area, hit something, land and ride 10 feet and done. Water almost isn't necessary. While the street riding level is at an all time high, its been around for years now. When the first crews (Pointless) started really building gnarly rails and such, it was all brand new and blew minds. People had never seen it, and no one else had done some of these things. But that was close to 20 years ago.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-18-2018, 10:30 AM Reply   
I really enjoyed it and was happy to drop $10 in support.

I wish I could do more winching, but I just don't have time. I appreciate all of the hard work that goes into those shots and how seriously broke-off you can get in the process. I ride a lot of park and wake, but I still enjoy watching part of the sport that I don't get to venture into.

There is so much high quality park footage out there right now, I'm kinda glad they glossed over it. If you want to see some fresh park riding check out the Space Mob footage that came out this week.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-19-2018, 8:04 AM Reply   
Yeah I'm also happy they left full size cable out. I mean if your going to sell your riding footage take it to the next level. You don't see much park footage in skateboarding. Especially in a "full part". Plus the urban footage and the boat footage to me is just more visually appealing from a backdrop perspective. Anyways, I have watched once and i will probably watch 5 more times before the week is up. Super dope.