Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-25-2015, 1:59 PM Reply   
So I got a District board and Ronix Frank CT bindings. My skill level is just W2W jumps at the current time, so nothing crazy or big.

Last week I took a big face plant after casing the wake and my front binding came off the board. The base plate cracked.I called Ronix and they told me warranties go through the dealer you bought from. I bought online, but no biggie I messaged the dealer. Dealer was GREAT and had a new base plate shipped out the same day. I was actually pretty delighted how well they took care of me (Windy City Sports shop on Amazon).

Anyways, I got the base plate and replaced mine. Made sure everything was tight and installed correctly. I went out today and on my 2nd set I fell on a jump and they broke AGAIN. This time it wasn't just a crack but an entire piece snapped off.

I emailed the dealer again and I'm sure he will help me through the warranty process again, but honestly I don't know what to do here. Not only do I feel bad for being such a headache to the dealer since I'm not local, but I definitely don't want to keep going through the warranty hassle and ending my lake days short.

It cannot be coincidence that the same exact thing happened almost right away twice. Every person I've talked to couldn't believe it even happened the first time because they have never seen a break there.

The boots themselves feel great and are super comfortable. Other than this I am really happy with them. I guess it could it be a bad batch of plastics? But I dunno.

Any suggestions?

Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-25-2015, 2:00 PM Reply   
Get u some slingshot bindings and don't look back!
Old     (ecore)      Join Date: Jul 2014       10-25-2015, 2:09 PM Reply   
I'm surprised with this 2 because for 2015 with the brain frame, it actually allowed them to make the baseplate of the bindings stronger because they don't have to stitch into the baseplate anymore. I would say ask them to replace the bindings. I had my 2015 ronix ones replaced because my laces kept falling out of the lace holder on one of my boots.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-25-2015, 2:21 PM Reply   
Should I call Ronix themselves again or continue through the dealer? I know when I called last time they kinda told me right away that I gotta talk to my dealer about warranty replacements and thats it.

My wife has Ronix boots and I know my other friend has the same pair of ronix boots for 8 years (and he goes WAAAAY harder than me). So thats why I don't know what to do. I genuinely like the feel of the boots.But I don't want to keep going through this hassle, especially since its through the mail.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-25-2015, 3:39 PM Reply   
Get them replaced, sell them, then go with humanoid or slingshot.
Old     (ecore)      Join Date: Jul 2014       10-25-2015, 7:12 PM Reply   
I bought mine at the boat show and I am a far distance from the dealer so I talked to the Ronix Rep for Ontario. In the end they shipped me out a new pair of boots. Haven't used them yet but thinking about selling them and buying another brand.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-25-2015, 7:20 PM Reply   
I have been riding Ronix boots since they first came out. I have tried other brands but nothing compares to a well broken in and heat molded pair of Ronix boots.

Over the years Ronix has ALWAYS stood behind every product I purchased, even some that were past warranty. whether through a dealer or direct, they have always looked after my warranty needs. Plus they are a rider owned company so I like to support them.

Id say given them another chance to replace your boots and if you could I would looks at the one's.
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-26-2015, 4:05 AM Reply   
@timelinex We've sold a bunch of these and have seen a few...but from what I know this relates to screw length and they have resolved it. I checked with Mike Ferraro on this who is super involved with all steps of product development and that was his sentiment also. If you've not been able to get it dialed, have your dealer contact Brian Kerley who oversees Ronix Warranty. He is the one to help get this resolved for you. Make sure you show him the board / boot photos and ask him about sending the corrected screw length he feels will ensure avoid this issue. It seems to only happen on a board every now and again..but as you have an all Ronix setup...and had this happen...this should help resolve it. Brian's email is kerley@squareoneco.com Hope this helps. Bill @ Performance
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-26-2015, 7:31 AM Reply   
How does screw length cause the base plate to break?
Old     (Kerley)      Join Date: Jul 2015       10-26-2015, 9:53 AM Reply   
Hey Timelinex,

This is Kerley with Ronix. Sorry to hear that this has happened twice to you. That is pretty unusual. Can you email me kerley@squareoneco.com with your details? We can get to the bottom of this for you and get you back on the water as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Kerley
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-26-2015, 10:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerley View Post
Hey Timelinex,

This is Kerley with Ronix. Sorry to hear that this has happened twice to you. That is pretty unusual. Can you email me kerley@squareoneco.com with your details? We can get to the bottom of this for you and get you back on the water as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Kerley
Sure thing. shot over an email. Hopefully we can get this resolved!

Last edited by timelinex; 10-26-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-26-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfski View Post
@timelinex We've sold a bunch of these and have seen a few...but from what I know this relates to screw length and they have resolved it. I checked with Mike Ferraro on this who is super involved with all steps of product development and that was his sentiment also. If you've not been able to get it dialed, have your dealer contact Brian Kerley who oversees Ronix Warranty. He is the one to help get this resolved for you. Make sure you show him the board / boot photos and ask him about sending the corrected screw length he feels will ensure avoid this issue. It seems to only happen on a board every now and again..but as you have an all Ronix setup...and had this happen...this should help resolve it. Brian's email is kerley@squareoneco.com Hope this helps. Bill @ Performance
I contacted the email, thanks for adding your experience to this thread.

It's hard to imagine why screw length is what causes this, but I wonder if its because they think that the screw is too long and bottoms out, not leaving the binding tight on the board? The binding was really tight on there, the second time I made sure of it. It was my second set, so it's not like it came loose over the months or something. But I dunno, I'm not the pro here! If they figured out the problem then it is what it is! I don't care what the solution is, as long as I don't have to go through it again and keep missing days out.

I've got an all Ronix setup and so does my wife, her's is fine for now, so hopefully mine can be taken care of and finally fixed.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-26-2015, 6:11 PM Reply   
Just look how quickly Ronix responded to your post on a forum publicly promising to get it resolved for you. That says a lot right there.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-27-2015, 6:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Just look how quickly Ronix responded to your post on a forum publicly promising to get it resolved for you. That says a lot right there.
You shouldn't have to publicly shame a company to get an issue resolved. Ronix is a pain-in-the-butt to deal with Warranty issues because Ronix won't deal directly with the consumer to handle warranty issues. They force you to go through your dealer, which is a cumbersome process for many.

Not trying to blast Ronix, but obviously this thread looks bad for them so they're going to go out of their way to make it right.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-27-2015, 8:28 AM Reply   
I have been able to deal directly with Ronix on my warranty issues without a problem if I purchased online, but if bought local I just go through my local dealer. Both have been easy.

The OP didn't say his dealer wasn't willing to help, in fact the first time the dealer sent him a new baseplate the SAME day. He was looking to see if other people had similar issues. I don't see what Ronix did wrong, and I know they always stand behind their products.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-27-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I have been able to deal directly with Ronix on my warranty issues without a problem if I purchased online, but if bought local I just go through my local dealer. Both have been easy.

The OP didn't say his dealer wasn't willing to help, in fact the first time the dealer sent him a new baseplate the SAME day. He was looking to see if other people had similar issues. I don't see what Ronix did wrong, and I know they always stand behind their products.
Yea, I definitely was not trying to shame any company here. I was just trying to get some advice on what to do in my situation.

At the current time I am waiting on a response still from Brian@ronix about what the resolution will be to this (last contact was yesterday morning). My dealer hasn't replied yet either from my Sunday email. So I'm guessing I won't be getting any kind of replacements in time for the weekend. But I guess we will see.

I'll keep you guys updated... Hopefully there is a fix or update to faulty parts.
Old     (KSride)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-28-2015, 11:06 AM Reply   
My friend bought 2015 time bomb and one boots this summer, and probably a month after he had gotten the setup, another friend broke the left boot very similar to your first picture.

We took the boot into the local dealer and they were awesome and gave him a new pair of boots. Then the next day while my friend was riding he broke the left boot again.

This time when we went into the shop the regional Ronix rep happened to be there, and he told us that Ronix had a bad batch of time bomb boards with bad inserts, and they had thought all the bad boards had been kept from sale but that we must have ended up with one of them. So my friend ended up getting a Brand new board and boots.

I wonder if this is the exact same problem you encountered?
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-28-2015, 11:50 AM Reply   
Brian from Ronix actually just got back to me. Mentioned that its probably a bad insert. So he is sending a replacement set of Baitmaster Boots and replacement Board (didn't have the 2015 so is sending 2016). I doubt it will make it in time for this weekend, but regardless, if it fixes the issue I'll be a happy camper!

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-29-2015, 10:02 PM Reply   
A brand new board and bindings? Sounds like pretty decent customer service to me!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-30-2015, 3:40 AM Reply   
Indeed great outcome! Hope this one works better for ya.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-30-2015, 10:32 AM Reply   
Brian ended up sending it all 2 day mail so I can get it today for the weekend. I will be trying everything out this weekend and let you guys know if it holds up!

+1 for Ronix
Old     (KSride)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-30-2015, 10:32 AM Reply   
Yeah both Ronix and the dealer treated my friend extremely well. He was very pleased with how they fixed the issue.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-03-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
Just wanted to give a last update. The board/boots came in on Friday and I took them out on Saturday. So far everything has held up. My right ankle is still a little sore from the two left boot disconnecting falls, but its getting better and overall I'm happy with the resolution. I'm glad it didn't cause a bigger injury and that this setup should be rock solid now.

Hopefully all this is behind me now!
Old     (seanyod)      Join Date: Jan 2018       01-07-2018, 4:43 PM Reply   
hey, so I know this is an old thread but just thought I'd put it out there to see if someone can help me out. I bought a new pair of 2015 ronix one boots put them on my parks board that I've had for a couple of years. My second ride out had a small stack and cracked the plate in one of the boots similiar to these stories I've emailed Brian the guy mentioned up above but he may have moved on now as haven't got a reply. Boots were bought from America. but can't get onto them. I'm in Australia any advice going to try and e-mail ronix aswell. Just spewing cause I want to get back out on the water as it's summer over here and they cost me abit cheers 🤙
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-08-2018, 7:57 AM Reply   
I'd think the situation above is an anomaly. You'd likely be fine getting a new base-plate via the warranty. I slightly bent one of mine after taking a strong edge fall. I replaced it and it has been fine. If you are really pressed and just want to get back on the water you can buy one. Not sure if they sell them in Australia, but Bart's has them in the States.
http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...5P56/index.asp
Old     (ksizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2016       02-27-2018, 8:16 AM Reply   
I wanted to add my recent experience with Ronix. One of my boots broke, and they stepped up and took care of the issue quickly.

It was easy to deal with them, and definitely reassuring knowing that the company takes care of its riders.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-28-2018, 7:27 AM Reply   
Stop crashing!