Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old    live2wakeboard            05-13-2006, 11:16 PM Reply   
Which Ones Helped?
Which Ones are good?
Do u think that they helped or were they just a fun thing to do?
Any input will do im just curious and seeing if i should save up the money to go to one or not. Thanks Lucky T
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-14-2006, 12:20 AM Reply   
Lucky, you beat me to it. I was wondering the same thing. Also , what were the accomedations to the camp. ie where did you stay.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-14-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
To answer it most effectively, you need to first know what it is you want out of a camp, your budget, time and your skill level.

An intermediate living in TN with a limited budget would be totally different from someone with an unlimited budget who wanted to incorporate other vacation items into their agenda.

Obviously Orlando, FL has the most offerings with a ton of extra curricular opportunities. But you can find local camps that offers excellent training at a much lower travel cost and weekly cost near where you live.

WW has about every camp listed in its "cool links" section. USAWaterski also list camps. This question pops up every few months and you will get a ton of input and you will find it more effective if you list your goals and constraints.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-14-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
David...excellent answer.

Lucky and Clarke....What you get out of camp depends on what you put in and what your goals are. If you go to work hard and come away with a new trick or 2, you will. If you really only want it to be a fun thing, it can be...and that's ok too. I went to Mike Schwenne's West Coast Camps last year and I am returning with 3 friends this year. It was awesome. He is a great coach and a person of integrity and strong character. He hires coaches of the same skill and character level as himself. I went with the goal to work hard and get the most that he had to teach me. What also happened is that I had a blast. I wasn't expecting anything except to try hard but I came away with new wakeboard friends and a very fun week.

We stayed on a houseboat right on the lake. It was great. There were all different levels and ages of riders but Mike makes it seem as if we were all equally important, no matter what our level or ability or desire to achieve at camp.

This is an awesome camp and I would recommend you check it out. I am not rich by any means but I do have the resources to go to Florida to camp if I choose. I chose this camp to keep the cost down. It is a 5 hour drive for me. I didn't want to spend airfare plus camp costs and I was delighted that we have such an awesome camp in our backyard. I will be back every summer.
Old    live2wakeboard            05-14-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
I would like to go and work hard to do my best I won't be going till next year tho if i dicide to attend one. I would love to walk away with some new tricks in my book. I am a biginner-Intermidiate. I'm hoping to advance a ton this summer tho.
Wat kinds of things did u all do when u weren't wakeboarding?
Did u take a friend with u or any others?
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-14-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
Hey man, www.DCWAKE.com has some reviews on their site.

Go to the news section and you will see 2 different articles (one done in February and another in March of 2006)

The wakeboard camp, O'town, Orlando Wakeboard Academy, The projects and Dean Lavelle are reviewed among others.
Old    katanjihos            05-15-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
My wife and I just finished a week at The Boarding School run by Shaun Murray and Travis Moye. We can't say enough about how much we enjoyed the school. Our five person group ranged from a 52 year old beginner to a couple of 24 year old advanced riders. My wife and I were right in between.

We wanted a place with professional instruction but an easy going atmosphere. Somewhere we could ride as much or as little as we wanted and still come away from the trip having learned something new. We also wanted a comfortable place to stay in the evening after riding. Somewhere we could relax, wind down and discuss that day's riding.

We got all of the above and more at Shaun and Travis' school. They have a three bedroom house right on a lake which has access to several other lakes via connecting channels. When it was windy on one lake, we went to another area and the water was smooth. We had killer water all day every day. The house is comfortably furnished with televisions in each room, a computer with internet access and also well stocked with food. Travis even hooked us up one day and did some extended grocery shopping so I could make some homemade beer dip and salsa. Thanks Trav!

They have all the latest Hyperlite boards and bindings as well as Jet Pilot vests and wetsuit gear. You're welcome to experiment with a new board and bindings or just use what you have. Either Travis or Shaun are always in the boat with you and they also have Kyle Rattray helping them right now. All three provide expert instruction and Travis even rode doubles with a couple of us because Shaun was injured from the previous week's competition. Everyone's general riding ability improved and by the end of the week each of us had landed a new trick or two.

They have more detailed information on their website if anyone is interested. I just wanted to offer up a testimonial about our experience there and say how great it was. The only thing i'll add is you're somewhat removed from Orlando and there aren't really any stores or restaurants within walking distance. Everything you need is provided for you at the house, but if you're interested in touring some of the sites after a day's riding you'll need a rental car. Other than that, we can't wait to go again sometime soon.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-15-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
Check out www.otownwatersports.com excellent coaches and staff.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-15-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Check out www.DeltaWakeboardCamp.com excellent coaches,staff and parents.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-15-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
I second Delta Wakeboard Camp for sure if you are into heading to Cali. The facilities and equipment are top notch and you'll have a killer time riding with Kevin Bird and the other coaches. Plus you get to ride the Dirty Delta. Cheah!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-15-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
why ride the dirty delta when you can ride beautiful Lake McClure???
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-15-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
That depends if you like the Delta's all day butter or McClures wind blown mid-days. I love riding at McClure, but I dislike waking up at 6 and getting 2 hours of good water.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-15-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
just did a private camp this weekend with Mike Shweene. I can't say enough good things about this guy. I will be going back to him for sure in the future. Definitely check it out.

www.westcoastcamps.com

Mike - if you read this THANKS AGAIN and we will do it again hopefully sooner than later.
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-19-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
Tate,
It was such an awesome weekend...thanks for the props.
If you could email me privately with your home address, I want to get something out to you.
thanks
mike schwenne
Old    wakebmxer            05-19-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
If you guys are looking for camps in the North Bay Area (NorCal), RiverRat Wakeboarding will have 2 2day camps every other week at Berryessa, Mendocino and the North Delta. www.riverratwakeboading.com For southbay stuff go to Schwennes camp. He is the man.Upload
Old     (wakezone)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-19-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
Josh Smith ( www.YoshisCamp.com )is a great teacher, and has been doing this from day one! ive known him a long time and he is one of the most real hommies i know. his site isnt glitz ( i built it back in the day ) but his teaching is as real as he is. he has good testomonials on the site as well.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-20-2006, 5:02 AM Reply   
Shaun, Thanks for the kind words. It was awesome having you guys down. We had a blast. Enjoy the new puppy!

Glad to see we got you posting on WakeWorld now too!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-20-2006, 9:14 PM Reply   
go to otown watersports that is the best you can go rails pros nice 2006 super air 210 and you can learn so much things you havent even herd of