Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (KyleRSA1989)      Join Date: May 2018       07-21-2018, 11:22 AM Reply   
Hi guys,

Does anybody know what happen to Phil Soven?

He won nearly everything but vanished off the scene?
Old     (cmurr)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-21-2018, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleRSA1989 View Post
Hi guys,

Does anybody know what happen to Phil Soven?

He won nearly everything but vanished off the scene?

I heard he went back to school and gave up the wake life, but would also be interested if somebody had an update.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-22-2018, 12:49 PM Reply   
He got burnt on ctrl so he quit the game and went to law school
Old     (TimesNewRoman)      Join Date: Feb 2018       07-22-2018, 3:32 PM Reply   
Gossip, I like it!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-23-2018, 8:43 AM Reply   
I don't know him that well so I won't pretend to know what's going on in his head, but Phil was a first place or nothing kind of guy. Maybe he knew that his time had run it's course and wanted to move on to the next thing. He's a smart and ambitious guy.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-23-2018, 10:42 AM Reply   
Phil is a smart guy and I'm sure will be successful with whatever he ends up doing. Like most professional riders, the question is: "After your career is over what do you do in this industry?" Not a whole lot of money in the watersports industry. Sales is not for everyone. Riders typically represent the sponsors that supported them to keep the lifestyle going. But even that sometimes is not enough to raise a family. If he went back to school to be a Lawyer, that was probably the smartest career move he's made yet. That will keep him riding the rest of his life.

Hahn
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-31-2018, 8:38 AM Reply   
Oh no not another lawyer. Go to med school we need more of those guys.
Old     (KyleRSA1989)      Join Date: May 2018       08-05-2018, 11:05 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! Always interesting to hear the inside indo.
My question is then, how do guys like Harley Clifford, Steele Etc maintain this “perfect”life?
Rich families or board sales keep them afloat? Seems like they get free fuel and trips all over the world all the time?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-09-2018, 3:12 AM Reply   
The sad fact is that unless you’re in the top 5 you aren’t ****.

I know 3 pros who have moved on from professional riding, one leveraged their experience on pwt for a career change. The other 2 became sales reps for their respective brands. But they all had to find other work while riding professionally, like waiting tables.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-09-2018, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleRSA1989 View Post
Thanks guys! Always interesting to hear the inside indo.
My question is then, how do guys like Harley Clifford, Steele Etc maintain this “perfect”life?
Rich families or board sales keep them afloat? Seems like they get free fuel and trips all over the world all the time?
Don't forget thats social media is a highlight real, not a representation of reality
Old     (Bill_Dad)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-04-2018, 2:09 PM Reply   
Ok just a little insight for you guys, I’m Harley’s dad and I can tell you that he doesn’t come from a rich family at all. Harley has worked extremely hard to get to where he is, when he was young we didn’t have the best boat or the best equipment. Hard work along with passion and desire. Harley loves the sport and the people that he has met along the way. Harley is great full to his sponsors and all of his fans for their support. I can’t speak for other riders but I could say that all these guys that do this love the sport.
I hope that gives you some idea
Cheers Bill
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-05-2018, 9:52 AM Reply   
Hey Bill, thanx for you input. I know guys like Ben Webb and others have been on here to "defend" their boys. Obviously you should not have to do that. I have been around the scene since the beginning and there have been so many genuine riders that got where they got by working hard and not riding the best of anything. There has never been any real money in it for the riders, so most have done it for the passion anyways. Your son is amazing and a great mentor to the groms, something we lack as a sport today. Thanx for chiming in.
Old     (Kurzinator)      Join Date: Aug 2017       09-14-2018, 10:39 AM Reply   
A lot of Pros seem to love the sport so much that they open up their own Schools to stay in the industry. That would be a LOT of fun, IMO.

I'm interested to hear about CTRL because I like their boards, and I have three of them. I thought CRTL was by Bill McCaffery and didn't realize Bob was involved. Do you know anymore details, simplej?