Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-02-2018, 2:40 PM Reply   
Anybody got any recs on a durable handle? Last couple years I have had to buy a new one every year while riding 1-3 times a week for about 6 months a year. Sucks even more now that it seems most places are only selling combos, or selling just handles for nearly the price of a decent combo.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-03-2018, 5:29 AM Reply   
I honestly ride a 1" oak dowel and have for about 5 years now. I would switch grips on a convertible handle easy 2-3 times a year before. My first wooden handle lasted 4 years and I only discontinued it after it after the ends started getting ratty. I ride 2-3 times a week during the summer and at least 1 time a week all year and I have no callouses. I hear all kinds of complaints, until they try it. Everyone that has used it, loves it.

A new handle costs me $1.30 not $130.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-03-2018, 8:45 AM Reply   
Do you wrap it with any material or just hold on to a raw piece of oak?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-03-2018, 10:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fish View Post
Do you wrap it with any material or just hold on to a raw piece of oak?
I'm from Houston. We slang and bang while we grip the grain.

No need to wrap it. It will give you plenty of traction without eating up your hands.

Last edited by skiboarder; 07-03-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-03-2018, 2:34 PM Reply   
damn OG
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2018, 8:55 AM Reply   
I’ve been through a few recently so I’ll share my experience

Ronix frank handle - like the feel. Grip started to tear after a few sets and now keep it as a backup
Liquid force team- snapped after half season
Liquid force henshaw - second season, grip has held up
Well ( wil never get an inflated line again tangles
Like crazy)

Accurate Webb- this has held up the best over time compared the other handles.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-05-2018, 10:51 AM Reply   
I tend to blow through handles and ropes every other year.

The only one that has stood the test of time is a proline LG, which has lasted 6 years now. I “replaced” it and moved it to reserve with a follow line, which I blew through in 2 seasons. I just picked up another LG and so far so good. It’s still in the boat as my back up. It was once even wrapped in a prop and made it out unscathed

We ride like 100hours a year worth for what it’s worrh and I literally destroy all my equipment from hard use
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       07-05-2018, 6:21 PM Reply   
I've found that the cheaper handles last far longer than the branded ones. I had a LF handle replaced 3 times, a byerly one replaced twice and destroyed countless others within a season. Then got a cheap proline with a board and it's still going after 5 seasons.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-06-2018, 6:21 AM Reply   
Proline isn’t really “cheap” in terms of the overall brand. That’s Connelly’s line and they’ve been around a long time.

I really like my Humanoid Teamster handle. I’m holding on hope that they’ll bring them back at some point.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       07-06-2018, 9:27 AM Reply   
I have an Obrien Team T-Bar handle that I like a lot. Part of the reason I bought it is I have a friend that gets 3+ seasons out of his. Prior to this I had a few Ronix One handles, but they were always dead after a season. Right now I'm on year 2 for this O'Brien and it's going well.

For reference I ride 3-4x a week April-Oct.
Old     (TimesNewRoman)      Join Date: Feb 2018       07-07-2018, 2:39 PM Reply   
I also need to find a company who makes a decent handle. Got the hyperlite T bar handle and it bent in just a few weeks. I tried to file a warranty claim on their website only to not even get a response.

Liquid force handles also tend to bend. I swear we pay pretty high prices for this stuff and 90% of it is junk. While we are talking liquid force may as well bring up how garbage the flex track is. I went through a few of them this season. What a joke.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-10-2018, 10:11 AM Reply   
I just build my own for around $25-$30 in parts/rope from a bulk supplier, and toss on whatever rope I want. All of the handles I've built are at least 5-years old and used frequently, and I don't think I've ever busted one of my handles. The grip might not be as cushy, but if you use it enough, your hands are fine with anything. With buckets of years in the show ski world, I actually prefer just a smooth rubber grip

I've snapped Spectra ropes a few times, but if it's hollow core, I just pop in a new splice and lose maybe a foot off the rope, and gain a take-off....
Old     (sebenfitty)      Join Date: Jun 2018       08-01-2018, 4:42 PM Reply   
Have any of you put a new grip on a handle? I have a straight line that the grip is coming loose on. I was thinking about wrapping it, not sure what to use.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2018, 11:32 PM Reply   
I had a hyperlite regiment handle that grip started to fall apart almost immediately. Per another ww’r I wrapped it with athletic tape. Boom! Seriously my fave handle for almost 7 years until it went missing on my buddies boat! I think I may have had to wrap it maybe 2 diff times over those years but keeps the current cush while giving that tacky grip
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2018, 11:34 PM Reply   
^ and I guess that can maybe lead to answer OP question... since I lost my handle I recently purchased hyperlite team handle and seems great so far, but still early
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-08-2018, 6:26 AM Reply   
I wish Helium was still in business. I have 3 old Helium handles that are just now at the end of their life and tried wrapping one...... It lasted half a set.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2020, 5:39 AM Reply   
I wanted to bump this instead of making a new thread. My search on "handles" gave me everything but. Anyway, time to replace some worn out gear. Looking for a wakeboard handle for the entire boat that will give me more than a year of service. My high end handles seem to fall apart too quickly. What can you recommend as an update to this post?
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-22-2020, 4:51 AM Reply   
I wish more people got on a wakeboard that could recommend solutions to these problems. I am back out searching for a decent handle again.
If anyone has an old Helium handle in decent shape I am happy to buy it off of you for a decent price.
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-22-2020, 6:07 AM Reply   
I find they all fall apart too quickly. Follow handles seems to last pretty well though, but they're not cheap
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-22-2020, 8:16 AM Reply   
Personally, I love chamois grip handles but they fall apart faily quickly unless they have stitching. I've had one with stitching that has lasted years. Most big brands make them with the stitching but here's one (not the one I have)

https://waterskis.com/hyperlite-t-mu...BoCXmEQAvD_BwE
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-22-2020, 1:02 PM Reply   
We just use the proline handle/ rope combo for general boat use. Very durable
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-23-2020, 1:41 AM Reply   
It must be older one but I bought a Proline handle and the ends of it came off almost immediately. Maybe I should have ordered a Follow right from the start. Can one not be built for less than $200 that stays together? lol
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-05-2020, 11:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
Personally, I love chamois grip handles but they fall apart faily quickly unless they have stitching. I've had one with stitching that has lasted years. Most big brands make them with the stitching but here's one (not the one I have)

https://waterskis.com/hyperlite-t-mu...BoCXmEQAvD_BwE
i have the HL t handle chamois with stitching. it has survived a major wrapping on the prop. key is to dry handle well by doing a squeegee with your fingers every day on weekend and making sure it dries completely during week or it will become slick, real nice feel in your hand with great grip. others online have complained shout them bring slick but im sure they are not drying them