Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (prowake)      Join Date: Jul 2016       02-19-2018, 2:03 PM Reply   
Hey dudes

Been spending more and more time in Southern California lately. Currently live up north on lake Tulloch, but I'm finding my motocross hobby bringing me south almost every weekend in the off season.

Friend told me about canyon lake and it seems like a great alternative to lakefront tulloch living except for all the stupid rules, especially the no motorcycles on the town streets. Ridiculous.

Can I get some more details about it? Would my 03 SANTE 210 be allowed on? ballast? Surf gate? Anyone successfully sneak arounds enforcements?
Old    jblinzler            02-19-2018, 5:06 PM Reply   
Canyon is a private lake. The main lake is a no go, no ballast and heavily enforced. Your boat would work out on the back water. However, I believe you need to be a resident to drop in or know a resident that will claim your boat as their own to get it on the water. I'm sure someone on here will elaborate. Best of luck.
Old     (prowake)      Join Date: Jul 2016       02-19-2018, 6:04 PM Reply   
I’m speaking as if I were to relocate as in, have a lakefront house on canyon lake.

So far my caveats are:

No jetskis. I have a superjet and spark. Not a deal breaker but lame
No motorcycles on the street. Thanks, McGrath for being a hooligan back in the 90s lol
21 ft boat rule. Would my Sante be allowed?
Main lake/back lake. Are they connected? Trailer only to back lake?
No ballast. I could just bring more people or use lead. Not sure about my delta wakeshaper though..

Other than those it seems like a sick ass place to live with Elsinore, perris, pala tracks all super close

Last edited by prowake; 02-19-2018 at 6:07 PM.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       02-19-2018, 6:19 PM Reply   
I don't know anything about the lake or area but based on those rules it sounds like a nightmare. Even if you can make it work now, how long until the tighten the restrictions even more?
Old     (prowake)      Join Date: Jul 2016       02-20-2018, 10:31 AM Reply   
the true nightmare is driving 8 hours one way almost every weekend down here to socal.

looking for some others with real life experience with Canyon lake
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-21-2018, 5:43 AM Reply   
It's been awhile since I've ridden at Canyon. But I can hopefully answer a few of your questions.
Yes no jetskis but Lake Elsinore is right down the road.
No the main lake and back water is not connected in a manner you can drive your boat from one to the other
Yes you'll have to trailer your boat to the back water unless things have changed and more houses have been built back there.
As far as I remember, there are no weight restrictions in the backwater but I can't be sure about the length limit.

Canyon lake was a awesome place to ride back in the day.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-21-2018, 8:10 AM Reply   
Canyon is a nice community. Well kept up (ordinances strictly followed). Few things to think about before you make the commitment:

Your currently in NorCal so I am going to assume that you know the stigma of Discovery Bay and Canyon is just like that. Very nice place but if you live there it is very easy to find yourself wrapped in drama and cliques unless you are the type to stick to yourself for the most part. If your married beware, most marriages don't last. The community is set out quite a ways from normal society so the town is small but has the big town feel of "keeping up with the jones's" and chest pumping to prove that your better than the next person. Also because its small, if you have kids it is easy for them to get lost in this mentality as well and also become bored and find drugs. If you are one of the few that can skirt through life without getting wrapped up in this then you will love it.

As far as wakeboarding goes, if your a die hard rider, the backwater is where its at. Fantastic riding but you have to wait your turn sometimes. The main lake is great for family days out and chilling or getting your micro wake sets on for practicing fundamentals.

Hope this helps, wasn't meant to be negative so if you read it that way I'm sorry. Just calling it as it is.
Old     (prowake)      Join Date: Jul 2016       02-21-2018, 11:16 AM Reply   
Im not a total diehard, but I do enjoy wake, skate, and surf, so I would for sure be packing my boat with people, ballast, and likely use my delta wake shaper. perhaps I could plumb my drains into the inlet sides of my ballast with one way valves in case they check

I did just find out my SANTE 210 measures 20'11 so that is great. I love my boat.

Im also 30 y/o internet entrepreneur and single, so neighborhood drama doesn't matter to me at all. Im gonna be partying a LOT. I do have fun in the dirty D up here... so idk. I have some thinking to do
Old     (WakeNBake)      Join Date: Dec 2017       02-25-2018, 7:49 AM Reply   
I currently live in Canyon Lake , let me know if you make it down and I’ll take you out on the water so you can get a feel. The lake is small w a lot of rules. We ride Early and mostly weekdays to avoid the crowds.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-07-2018, 11:06 AM Reply   
The water skiiers and wakeboarders have been battling it out on the backwater for as long as I can remember. The skiiers don't want us back there. So much so as the HOA refused to approve the Canyon Lake Learn to ride days this year. There was supposed to be a HOA meeting. Don't know what happened. I've been in a few heated arguments out there. Nice community but I'd rather ride elsewhere. Just my $.02
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       05-07-2018, 11:35 PM Reply   
I’ve been wanting to pack up and move down there. I currently live in Palm Desert (next to Palm Springs) & keep the boat in havasu. It’s a long 3 hours when you get the itch to ride, even longer ride home. It would be nice to go out and boat whenever I wanted. The town seems super chill, everyone’s cruising around on golf carts & there’s tons of parks and beaches. Seems like every other house has a toy hauler in their driveway so there must be quite a few people who enjoy the dirt.

From what I’ve learned is you can only surf on the backwater. No ballast on main lake. Does suck you have to trailer your motorcycle in/out.

Hopefully more younger people want to buy in their & kick out the grumpy old skiers out of there & we can re hash the rules
Old     (broncofan)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-08-2018, 1:23 AM Reply   
i have lived in CL since 2005 and enjoy wakerboarding and surfing. I used to, on occasion get into it with skiers. I have learned that even if you follow all the rules of the ski course you will still find yourself in some sort of heated argument with some miserable skier.. The best advise I can give is don't live beyond your means keeping up with the Jones's. Lots of people do and they don't last. Allot of people in here get new boats every year because they work in the industry. Last but not least if some skier is yelling at you smile and wave it is far better to live in peace then try to get your point across to some lame skier. Enjoy....