Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-17-2018, 11:17 PM Reply   
Okay....not sure why but i think I really want to start riding and learning again. Looking for a new board. My buddy rides the Watson hybrid and absolutely loves it. And I’ve read a lot of good things about it and many people claim it is “the best board ever” haha. But I’m sure we r all biased to what we like. But looking for recommendations. I’m interested in the Watson hybrid, but also reading a lot about these bigger boards (ss nomad and hl Murray). I currently ride 05 3ds. Love the board but so heavy. Hoping for a similar shape. 5’9” 210.
Old     (DrewLongshore)      Join Date: Oct 2016       03-18-2018, 4:40 AM Reply   
Are you riding boat or cable?
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2018, 8:15 AM Reply   
Boat
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2018, 8:28 AM Reply   
^and skill level is close to 0 but wanting to try learning again. I’m 40+ years old. W2w, backroll, 180...and sadly that’s about it. I have landed tantrum and 360s in the past but never consistently. Those r probably my goals for this year, and ma Be more if I can get comfortable again.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-18-2018, 6:24 PM Reply   
Get a nomad 150. Forget anything else
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-19-2018, 11:07 AM Reply   
I rode the Watson Hybrid for about 2 years. Year one I loved the board, it was really light and fun to ride. Year two the board really started to breakdown, and the board just started to lose its pop. I switched over to the RDX and couldn't be happier. It rides like the watson classic on steroids.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2018, 1:19 PM Reply   
I assume it’s a safe assumption all of these options are considerably lighter than my 3DS haha, but compared to each other any how do they compare? Watson, nomad, Rdx? All similar r some constructed quite diff which makes them even lighter? I practically get frustrated hanging my board then grabbing my buddies Watson.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-20-2018, 1:54 PM Reply   
why so worried about weight? I can't tell the difference from my heaviest set up to my lightest, once i'm in the air, I am in the air.

Yes constructions are quite different, the slingshot is all wood and will retain its snap for a bit longer.
Old     (TimesNewRoman)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-21-2018, 8:50 AM Reply   
I guess I need to get on a nomad and see what its like before I come down on it. Personally it just seems like telling someone looking at skateboards to get a sector 9 longboard with a kick tail. Yes its smooth and fun but can you really shred it??
Old     (TimesNewRoman)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-21-2018, 8:59 AM Reply   
Pretty sure this is the intended use for the nomad. And yes I know Alex Grayden throws a 7 on it in the product video but i wouldn't bet its his first choice to ride. If you just want to cruise and ride a really fun feeling board go for the nomad. But for really progressing idk. Everyone's got an opinion and that's mine. You can bet when I'm 60 I'll probably be riding a nomad though
Attached Images

Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       03-21-2018, 9:36 AM Reply   
i've rode about 4 other boards before i rode a liquid force. been on the Watson Classic 2014 for a while now and absolutely love it!! i don't know much of the hybrid stuff, but i would recommend a watson board 100%
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       03-21-2018, 9:38 AM Reply   
although, i'm a big believer that if you want to progress and learn new tricks, just stick to a board in your shed or something and learn on that and then buy a new board when you're feeling good. You should be able to do the same tricks on a older board that you can do on a new board.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-21-2018, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesNewRoman View Post
I guess I need to get on a nomad and see what its like before I come down on it. Personally it just seems like telling someone looking at skateboards to get a sector 9 longboard with a kick tail. Yes its smooth and fun but can you really shred it??
Having ridden one:

NO, not at all. And they are stiffer now than they were.

Bigger boards make everything easier. Easier float, easier speed, easier pop, easier landings. It is for bigger people and people who are maybe getting older who want to throw down but maybe can't float on and gain enough speed on a 143 or cant handle the landings or generate the pop on a shorter board.

Slalom skis, skurfers, and wakesurfers are for cruising around
Old     (TimesNewRoman)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-21-2018, 11:02 AM Reply   
You can still go bigger without going nomad. Plenty of other boards in bigger sizes. And I'm not talking about a magnum either.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-21-2018, 11:15 AM Reply   
Make everything easier...Not easier spins, not easier ollie's.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       03-21-2018, 12:15 PM Reply   
I have a 2014 Watson basically brand new with ct Watson bindings I’d sell sell for super cheap since I don’t wakeboard any more
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-21-2018, 12:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
Make everything easier...Not easier spins, not easier ollie's.
If your pop and release is easier how can you explain how a spin would be harder?
If the board floats snaps and rebounds better due to added length why would an ollie be harder?

Bigger is better, that's just it.

I am up to a wide 144 slowly ticking up from 140 over the years and it feels small to me now. I wish it was a 146 or more. I can ollie it and pop it better than any board I have ever ridden.

No one is making boards in the 150+ range except for hyperlite and slingshot, at least none that you can really SHRED on.

Last edited by simplej; 03-21-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old     (TimesNewRoman)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-21-2018, 12:54 PM Reply   
Change the name of this thread to "does size matter?"

Cable boards are getting really big. And i get that. Daniel grants riding looks awesome and I think that's partly because the board. Just looks good on jibs and stuff. That being said, seems like cable boards are going up in sizes quick. But not everyone wants 150's yet. Maybe boats going that way too but I would think graydon and all those guys would be riding and filming on them. Nomad has been out for a minute but I don't recall any recent parts being filmed on that board. You can also get a circus in a 145.. Name all the top riders on 150 + boards... And i'm not talking about PWT riders because know they don't ride huge boards. I'm talking style and ease guys whose main boat deck is 150 plus... I'll wait
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-21-2018, 2:40 PM Reply   
Well you need to understand how small most pro's are. Take pro's about 6 ft and over 160 lbs-

Jeff McKee is one I can think of off hand and he is riding a nomad 150/155, Dylan miller rides a 146 behind the boat which just a few years ago was huge.

Maur is short, Vandall is short, Sichel is short, murray is short- these guys riding 142-145's is the equivalent of a 5'10" and up dude riding a 150 or more. Board size is relative

at 200+ lbs the smallest board you should be looking at is like a 144.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-21-2018, 4:32 PM Reply   
SHORTER WAKEBOARDS
Some wakeboarders like to ride a board at the short end of their suggested size range. The feeling you get from a shorter wakeboard depends on the board’s shape, but in general, shorter boards are slower and take more energy to push through the water (the more surface area the board has on the water, the faster it will move across the surface). However, a shorter wakeboard is easier to spin and maneuver in the air as you flip or fly across the wake. However, the decreased surface area makes landings harder and the nose may tend to dig in which causes your nose and the rest of your face to dig into the water too.

LONGER WAKEBOARDS
Longer wakeboards are typically easier to ride and learn on, they have a solid feel that will really boost you off the wake. Longer wakeboards are heavier which means you work harder against the weight in the air, but you also get more control so longer boards are great for learning tricks for the first time. A longer wakeboard has more surface area so it will sit on top of the water nicely and move quickly through the water. The increased surface area of a longer wakeboard will offer softer landings.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-21-2018, 4:35 PM Reply   
"As a general rule, larger boards will provide more stability and allow a wakeboarder to ride away from some less graceful landings or loss of balance situations. Smaller boards are lighter and may be more agile and be better for spinning tricks but force the wakeboarder to stick the landing. By the time a rider is able to spin in the air, they will be able to select a board that fits their riding style and ability."
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-21-2018, 4:36 PM Reply   
Sizing Up Or Down: How Does It Change My Riding?
We suggest following our suggested size based on the chart above. However, some wakeboarders prefer to size down or size up. So how will that impact how the board's overall ride and feel on the water? Let's find out!

Sizing Down

Only advanced riders should ever consider sizing down when buying a new board. A smaller wakeboard will have less swing weight and will help a rider spin faster when executing advanced tricks. The smaller size will provide a more aggressive feel and quicker edge-to edge transitions. A rider will have more control over a smaller board due to less surface area but there is the risk of harder landings and an increased chance of burying the nose of the board.

Sizing Up

Sizing up is a popular option for novice riders. A bigger board will be slower through the water but will be a more stable, smoother ride. The larger surface area underneath the rider will make landings softer and help prevent catching your edge. Sizing up will give the rider more forgiveness but will be more sluggish as far as manueverability.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-21-2018, 6:32 PM Reply   
Let’s quantify that statement on smaller boards-

If you’re struggling to take your 7 to a 9 you might have a better time on a 142 than a 146. Sizing up is not going to hurt your 360 or 540.

I’m losing so pop by sizing down so my net is gain is 0. Id wager I can do all my tricks on my buddies old nomad (sized up) than I can do on my cameo 144 (correct size), line 143, or one up 142 (sized down)

Last edited by simplej; 03-21-2018 at 6:34 PM.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       03-21-2018, 7:53 PM Reply   
Ronix One Timebomb 146. Perfect size and the board rips. Get a model from a couple years ago leftover online.
Also love my Watson Hybrid 143. Really want to try the Watson Dose next.
Old     (TimesNewRoman)      Join Date: Feb 2018       03-22-2018, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Well you need to understand how small most pro's are. Take pro's about 6 ft and over 160 lbs-

Jeff McKee is one I can think of off hand and he is riding a nomad 150/155, Dylan miller rides a 146 behind the boat which just a few years ago was huge.

Maur is short, Vandall is short, Sichel is short, murray is short- these guys riding 142-145's is the equivalent of a 5'10" and up dude riding a 150 or more. Board size is relative

at 200+ lbs the smallest board you should be looking at is like a 144.

Obviously... And the bigger guys are riding in the 142 - 145 range. Nobody is riding 150 and up on boat.. I'm 5'11 205lbs and i ride a 142.. So yes I think bigger boards are better. But I'm not about to jump on the stretch limousine under my bandwagon. I don't think your average guy who's 200- 250 who's trying to learn 5s for the first time will benefit from riding a 150. Not too long ago I rode my friends 138 and was absolutely shocked at how much I liked it. It had to have been 5 years since i rode a 138. I almost considered sizing down but then went back to the 142 although I liked the maneuverability in the air and even how quick it would cut. But the 142 is easier to take to the flats and I also think it makes grabs more fun. I'm not saying don't size up. But what I am saying is that I don't think boat boards are going into the 150-160 range even for the bigger guys (besides a few novelty boards)

Next generation boat boards are going to be something like this, and trust me this is where its heading without a doubt. FACT.
Attached Images

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-23-2018, 5:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesNewRoman View Post
Obviously... And the bigger guys are riding in the 142 - 145 range. Nobody is riding 150 and up on boat.. I'm 5'11 205lbs and i ride a 142.. So yes I think bigger boards are better. But I'm not about to jump on the stretch limousine under my bandwagon. I don't think your average guy who's 200- 250 who's trying to learn 5s for the first time will benefit from riding a 150. Not too long ago I rode my friends 138 and was absolutely shocked at how much I liked it. It had to have been 5 years since i rode a 138. I almost considered sizing down but then went back to the 142 although I liked the maneuverability in the air and even how quick it would cut. But the 142 is easier to take to the flats and I also think it makes grabs more fun. I'm not saying don't size up. But what I am saying is that I don't think boat boards are going into the 150-160 range even for the bigger guys (besides a few novelty boards)

Next generation boat boards are going to be something like this, and trust me this is where its heading without a doubt. FACT.
I just gave you examples of pro's riding big boards. I think Murray is riding a 145 at like 5'5", that would be like me hopping on a 155

I used to think like you until I saw da wae.
-Arm fatigue went down
-Pop went up and got more consistent
-Ollies and re-entries got higher because you have so much more nose and tail rocker to pop off of
-Nose and Tail Grabs got easier (more tip and tail to bring closer to you)
-Landings are smoother
-It's less tiring to ride because it sits higher on the water.

BTW I am 6'1" and 190lbs and was dead set on riding the smallest board I could fit on for ages. Like a 140 and 141... too small. The whole board scales up as you increase sizes, it makes a big difference

The old nomad was a noodle and just a cruiser, the new on is not. You can throw down on a nomad.

I suggest you pick up something bigger and give it a try and report back.

Last edited by simplej; 03-23-2018 at 5:43 AM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-23-2018, 3:26 PM Reply   
I definitely am not capable of choosing a board without riding it first. I've seen lots of people who loved boards and rode them well that I just didn't like after getting on one. While recommendations are useful for deciding what to demo, I would not make a decision on a recommendation alone. I'm thinking that at 5-9 and over 200 you'd want to be looking at the over 140 category. I'm 5-7 and 145, and ride either a 138 or 142. I have one of each in a Jobe Conflict, which is really a cable board but suits me behind the boat.