Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sjwaker77)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-16-2013, 10:32 AM Reply   
Looking for a used wakeboard boat that will run well in salt water. The boat needs to be in the $10k or less price range. I havent really found any boats in that price range that are made to be run in or are reliable in a purely salt water environment. I have been considering taking an older ski boat, like a 2000 Malibu Sportster and adding a tower and ballast tanks. Only problem is that I dont know how they will run in salt. I would prefer to not have to keep the boat in rack storage but it is an option. Just looking for some advice and some suggestions. Thanks.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-16-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
Where are you using the boat?
I had a 97 Sportster LX with a tower and system in it.
Bagged out

I ran that boat in salt water and never had any issues AT ALL with it. I put quiet a few hours on it before selling it and upgrading. Keep it washed and rinsed and it will last. I ran allot of weight in my boat and it had a great wake. I kept mine in a dry storage and always kept it clean and rinsed. Was a great boat.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-16-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
Chris said it right. It is all about rinsing and maintenance. A through-hull flush will make it a lot easier and you can get that installed for less than $300 at any boat shop or DIY for about $150 if you are not afraid of drilling through fiberglass.

I ride in brackish water all of the time and I've owned SS editions and standard with flush-kits. Personally, the SS series made no difference and it is all about upkeep. Now, I will say a galvanized or aluminum trailer is a smart move.
Old     (sjwaker77)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-16-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
I'm going to be running the boat in South Jersey. Thanks for the help, good to know the Sportster will work well for wake boarding in salt and I'll look into a flush kit. Any suggestions as to other boats. I am considering taking the winter to look for the right boat and buy it next spring.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-17-2013, 4:06 AM Reply   
Id step it up 1 and get a older sunsetter. Little bit more room and more freeboard.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-18-2013, 5:43 AM Reply   
I ride in the long Island sound behind a 2003 Sea Ray 220 Select. Never had any problems with it and very little extra maintenance is required. The wake isn't magnificent but it's tall enough for you to really feel the curl when launching your backrolls lol.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-22-2013, 8:26 AM Reply   
I ride in Justins area allot and its true about a trailer. I regular painted trailer will only last about 3 yrs. Depending on how you clean it. Also they have painted galvenized trailers that look sick now. That will be my next trailer. Hope this helps.