Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    loco_dawn_films            01-13-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
If you haven't already, please visit:

www.WakinAMovie.com

Dave Williams of WakeWorld and the entire wakeboarding community are behind us on this project. We need your help. Read the articles on WakeWorld, post your thoughts on the discussion board, and again:

If you want to actually contribute to the effort and actually become a PART of the revolution, please visit www.WakinAMovie.com

ROMP ON!
-Monroe and the folks at Loco Dawn Films
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-14-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Let me ask you something: Why are you asking for donations instead of just floating some shares of your production company or allowing some other kind of investment. The only thing I can think of is greed.

I really don't see why anyone would donate to this project.

1. Even if someone wanted a wakeboarding feature to exist, there is nothing to show that this movie will be any good. Just about every other "extreme sports" feature film ever made has been total worthless crap.

2. More importantly, there is nothing at all to stop you from turning out a crappy low-budget movie and pocketing $1 million or more. I don't see any indication that you are a registered non-profit organization. That would be different.

If this is not a scam, then I think there are MUCH better ways to raise the money. I mean, wouldn't someone be more likely to INVEST $100, $1000, or even $10,000 if they were at least guaranteed their fair cut of the profits (if there are any).

If it is a scam AND people actually fall for it, then it's a pretty good one. Asking for donations with absolutely no restrictions on how you use the money is a great idea. Hell, you could probably pay yourself half of the cost of the movie and nobody would ever know.
Old    tattoobling            01-14-2004, 8:01 AM Reply   
This oughta be good.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-14-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
Dave? any comment?

I'm sorry, but after reading a few of his posts, It sounds like the movie is gonna be really lame, that Monroe is not very familiar with our sport, and that he is expecting us to hand him his big payday.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather send my cash to Jack Blodgett, Sideways, or FLF, because these guys are honestly dedicated to wakeboarding, and Monroe is really dedicated to lame ideas, and our money.
Old    xtremebordgurl            01-14-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
I dunno... I see where you guys are comming from but I think, if he's for real, he's on the right track. PLus a feature film would help push the sport cause it would get a bunch more people into it, widening the pool of talent possibly. But Justin Stephens is on board and that makes it pretty legit in my mind... not sure what you thought of Metronome or Boombox but I thought they were quality. Where's Justin Stephen's at? I'd like to know what his take on it is...
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-14-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
IMO, nothing can make this legit unless it is actually a non-profit venture. Asking for DONATIONS to a commercial enterprise is just stupid. Investment, yes. Donation, no.

The way it should work:

1. Investor pays for movie.
2. Movie is made.
3. WE pay to watch movie.
4. Investor gets money back plus profit.

Here's how he wants it to work (if it's not even a scam):

1. WE pay for movie.
2. Movie is made.
3. WE pay to watch movie.
4. HE keeps ALL the money.

Talk about a great business plan!
Old    boofhead            01-14-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
YOU MUST BE OUT OF YOUR MIND MONREO!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-14-2004, 8:53 AM Reply   
Remember that old BMX movie from when we were kids, RAD? The one where the local, rookie kid comes from the bottom and wins the biggest competition pretty much over-night? It was LAME! That's how I picture this.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-14-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
Two words...Blue Crush

(even if this is for real...can imagine the casting for this?)
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-14-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
HEY! RAD was cool!
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-14-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
Haha I am looking for a job. Maybe I just need to open me up a business like that!!

Jrod Dude I use to like rad when I was a little kid!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-14-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
Let's imagine the cast. This could get interesting. Who would you pick to play:

Parks
Byerly
Vandall
Grubb
Shapiro
Watson
Dallas
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-14-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
RAD IS ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES EVER!!!! Send Me an Angel is still on my list of favorite songs b/c of that movie.

Shawn Murray must star in it or I'm keeping my $10 donation...

Other than that, I agree with fish taco boy
Old    leggester            01-14-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
Excuse me, but is this the same Mr. Mann that wrote a theatrical book?
Old    emoney            01-14-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
Danny right on RAD is awsome, but so is gleaming the cube......
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-14-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
Oh no!!! Send me an angel?? That's scary that you remember the dance scene!! Oops....so do I! What about the ice skating movie where the hockey player goes figure skate. I think that one is in the same category of FAKE ASSSS MOVIES.
Old    leggester            01-14-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
Actually I liked that hockey/figure skater movie!

Toe Pick!
Old    smellyt            01-14-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
Hey now...RAD is one thing, but now your trashing The Cutting Edge. That movie is just sweeeeeeeet!!

I think it is funny how they are asking wakeboarders, who are broke after buying a board to contribute money towards the film. Sorry, but I just can't see myself giving money to something like that
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-14-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
Any alternative sport movie was a big flop at the box office, but a hit in the video rental and dvd scene. That is what I expect this wakin a movie to be. I personaly will not fund someone elses pet project. Pretty much only wakeboarders will go see it, and with that limited viewership it is bound to be a money looser at the theater. That is of course, any major theater group runs it. Highly highly doubtfull. I would be forced to run in small independant theaters and once again, not make any money. I would not donate my hard earned money to make a film that I would have to pay to go see. Offer all the doners free passes and you may get a better response. How about sponsors for the movie. Boat companies, board and gear companies will be more willing to shell out some cash then wakeboarders will. They can get some killer advertising out of it. There are too many killer vids out on tape and dvd that have we all love to watch. Real riders, real situations. Not some halfwit actor portraying a sport he/she has only seen on t.v. And Avril Levigne, come now. How many of us really jam to her music while riding or on the boat. I would say none or very few. Just some thoughts.
signed.
King of cheap.
andy z.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
Monroe,
Really dude, did you EVER expect ppl to go along with this??? Your outta your mind, and I for one am amazed that it is even on this board. Your gonna stir-up the wakeboard community (here and on the other boards) BIGTIME!!!

I am speculating but here is my thrash talk on this project!!! (I'll try to keep it constructive)

- I have never heard of investment companies saying they will front the money...THEN expect you to raise the same amount. Are you making a 1million movie or a 2million movie??? The plot and script must stink for this to be happening, or there is no trust in your production company capabilities or otherwise!

- Project Greenlight has better baking than this, and they only get 1million?

- you have 9 versions of the script? is this right or do you have 1 script and revisions?

- This sounds like the US Gov't. Pay to get more services...then have to pay taxes in the end anyway, c'mon dude, you really think were going to spend or hard earned money on getting a film going, and not expect at least free tickets, or swag?
You would be better off doing a 50/50 or a raffle to stuff. Use the donations of the sponsors to help the cause.

- If you do raise the million required, do we get our money back, with interest? Why not put it in a holding account with the promise of monitary returns and use the interest to make a second movie or something to that nature!

This is cazy and B@llsy to ask when you have companies that are willing to invest, the whole thing sounds shady!

KG
ps - RAD, The Cutting Edge & Gleeming the Cube were AWESOME movies!!!
Old    aka Bradley Beach            01-14-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
I move that we ban this Monroe guy from Wakeworld. He's got some shady plans and I feel bad for whomever he takes advantage of!

Any seconds?

Gleaming the Cube was an awesome movie! And so was RAD!
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-14-2004, 11:08 AM Reply   
Because I am lazy I only read the first of these posts but my comment would be, If there is not enough money raised to get the project are you going to refund all of the people that donated?

I think it is about time for aome answers!!!

I LOVE DAVID WILLIAMS!!!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-14-2004, 11:08 AM Reply   
what the hell happened to this Monroe guy?? I guess he didn't like the response huh?
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-14-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
Dave and Wakeworld are supporters of the film, so I am sure he has to stay out of the loop on this one. This film company is no Warren Miller, and even then I would not give money in order to make the video
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-14-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
Oooohhhhh do we get our names in the credits?
Old    aka Bradley Beach            01-14-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
Dave W. what is your opinion on this?
Old    leggester            01-14-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
Apparently, there is a spot for legitimate investors. http://www.surfview.com/inthewakeofidentity.htm
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-14-2004, 11:50 AM Reply   
Dieses Gewinde ist Art von lustigem. Ich denke, daß jeder $100 je für mein folgendes Projekt spenden sollte.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-14-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
so what are you saying Poon? How's the knee?
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-14-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
Sup J-Rod, I don't know what happened sometimes I just start typing random stuff in a different language. Crazy!

The knee is doing good I am just doing the whole therapy thing now in hopes that I able to ride when expected.
Old    dodgydave            01-14-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
I'm cringing at the thought of what would be turned out. The CGI would have triple backs been thrown out for practise and just so much stupid faked crap.
As a climber I know that after Vertical Limits and Cliffhanger there was no good kick backs for the sport, just a load of kids taking it up and trying to jump from grip to grip on our wall. They just made the sport look moronic and the people involved in it as twats.
Its a bad bad idea even without the money scam. Even the poster is tacky, throw in a big shark and gratutious nudity and I might reconsider.
Old    pans210            01-14-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
Let's raise money for a wakeboarding movie. Forget about raising money to fight pediatric aids. Forget about raising money to research a cure for cancer. Forget about raising money for our wounded soldiers.

Let's forget all those things, since we all know that raising a million dollars in a month for a wakeboarding movie is far more important in anything else in life.
Old    leftcoastpunk            01-14-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
Im with you Dave. I have dreaded this movie since I fisrt heard about it over the summer. There are already enough posers at my lake doing thier power turns with the brand new boats and boards even though they can barely cross the wake. When I think of this movie I think of Blue Crush.
Old    pans210            01-14-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
When I think of Blue Crush, you can bet I think of something else!
Old    dodgydave            01-14-2004, 1:21 PM Reply   
Well in fairness blue crush had hot chicks in bikinis and great footage of waves and surfing, the problem was they put them together. If you had the guys from Blue Wednesday cutting it up and the girls just doing what comes naturally (posing and looking hot) then it could have been legendary.
So maybe if we shot a movie with footage from the guys at the x-games cutting loose and the girls from the hottest gurl boarder thread in bikinis.... I think I'm onto something, someone give me a million bucks please
Old     (ssg)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-14-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
I remember some time back giving all kinds of suggestions on that movie poster....and then I see the same one posted on his web page....??? I guess he didn't like our suggestion to change the cover either....

Oh well.

hey I got $10.00 bucks for gas. A much better investment I think!!!
Old    jakeman            01-14-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
why do u need a million to make a wakeboard movie?
how much notice will the military give him b4 he ships out?
a real film maker would never rush a movie
it is winter where will you shoot it?
who will star in it?
I'm not feelin' it
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-14-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
I was and still am behind this movie because I think it can represent wakeboarding well and it would be fun to see it in the theaters. However I'm not comfortable with this latest method of soliciting funds, so I'm asking them to remove our name and logos from the website. We've also removed the article that refers to the website. That probably means I'm no longer associated with the movie, but I just couldn't let this go and sleep at night. It would be one thing if they were giving the money back if the $1 million goal wasn't obtained, but I can't get behind a collection of money with no accountability.

I should have come to that conclusion before I posted the article, but I didn't really give it that much thought at the time. Definitely my bad.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-14-2004, 2:47 PM Reply   
In my opinion , the LAST thing we need is a Movie in the theatres based around wakeboarding. Our waterways are already overused, and something like this is only going to make it worse.
I say that this guy goes and makes yet, ANOTHER movie that butchers the sport of surfing, skateboarding, or snowboarding. LEAVE WAKEBOARDING OUT OF HOLLYWOOD!!! Please!
All we need is to be portryed as a bunch of tools...
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
Talk about rain on a guy's parade. I don't know this guy from Adam, but let's cut him a little slack...he's trying to make a movie about something it appears he's passionate about. I agree that I can find better places to donate my money, but I'm not going to just bash someone for trying to make something for himself. If he is trying to scam everyone (which I doubt he is) then flame on.....
Old    jakeman            01-14-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
Kyle
thank you
we hope for total glass/no other boats everytime we go boarding;
So why ruin a good thing and invite the entire world to screw it up
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
Dave,
Thanks for the honest opinion.

I think it would be safe to say that we don't want to see WW and more specifically you, get tarnished in all this hoopula!

It would be bad for you, the site, your sponsors and so on...

KG
Old    albumfilms            01-14-2004, 4:06 PM Reply   
Please note that Justin Stephens/Album Films are no longer involved in the making of "In the Wake of Identity". We have respectfully backed out because of how the financing of the film is being handled.

Album Films strives to keep wakeboarding progressing through film. Right now this movie is not keeping in line with our goals as a company.

Thanks to everyone for your support and stay tuned, we have some good things in the works!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-14-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
Levi, I'm not seeing any passion for our sport from this guy. In one of his posts, he says "What is OWC?". That kind of leads me to believe that he really doesn't know wakeboarding, and hasn't done much research. Also, aside from this, what has this guy done for the sport? Really?
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-15-2004, 7:30 PM Reply   
is there any pics of this guy actually wakeboarding floating around?
Old    maverick_gear            01-15-2004, 7:47 PM Reply   
Shoot i would like to see Sydwayz Jack and some of the other industry doods get together with paramount or something and make a movie that would be decent not suck ass and have some of the riders as actual actors or somethin. Shoot correct me if im wrong but i think the most money a wake movie has ever really had behind it was like 200k or somethin. as far as this wakin a movie thing goes, i can't even put what i want to say into words
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-15-2004, 8:52 PM Reply   
I thought you guys might be amused that monroe is now begging for duckets on wakelounge.com. No offense to kyle, but they're lucky if they get five visitors a day. Till next time...
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2004, 5:44 AM Reply   
Sounds like he's in over his head at this point.