Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    goballgo            09-19-2004, 12:40 AM Reply   
I have read a ton of threads on stereo/speaker/subs components and placement. I guess there must be a reason no one mounts their subs in canisters on their towers? I have ZERO room in the boat but would still like to add a sub?? Anyone with positive or negative experience with tower mounted subs give me a shout.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-19-2004, 1:05 AM Reply   
the only subs you could possible think of mounting would be bazooka style but weight will be a small issue and also with subs you wont get the affect you want being mounted above you.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-19-2004, 7:17 AM Reply   
skylon defcon v uses kicker comp vr 8"s www.skylonsports.com
nvs uses 10"s and 8"s www.nvs.com
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-19-2004, 7:26 AM Reply   
FYI, NVS does not use subs. The 8's and 10's in the Entity Series tower speakers are mid bass/mid range woofers.
and it's www.NVS1.net
carry on
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-19-2004, 7:50 AM Reply   
I guess I'm no one. I have had 8" subs on the last two tower set ups I built. Mostly they are used as a mid set up.

Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-19-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
adding a sub to a tower is kinda tough...it is not a efficent design.

the more a sub is reinforced with another plane - the louder it gets.....( adding a surface close to or around the sub adds 3db... 3db is liken to doubling your amp output...)

that is why speaker sound like crap when they are not mounted to anything..subs in most(99%)installations need reinforcement

so when you enclose them and place them by/on the floor(+3db) and then place them toward a corner(2 walls - add +6db) and have a close ceiling (another +3 db)....you just picked up 12 db.....which is HUGE !!!!!!

that means a sub(on the floor, by the corner, with a close celing-400 watt amp) will sound just as lound as a sub with the 1600 watt amp out in the open. and in this case louder...

bass waves are very, very long. ( take 550 and divide it by the frequency and that will give you the length.
40 htz note will have a 14' length,
30htz note will have a 18' lenght,
20 htz note will have 27.5 ' length !!!!!
(that is why most car systems sound louder with lower frequencies outside of the car)

generally speaking, since low bass is non directional ( must have the crossver point below 80hz) you can pretty much out the sub anywhere. so a custom isoberic with 2 10's requires very little space(hovever alot of juice jl class d amps work great) and will actually sound and feel better since it will use the long sound waves can travel througout/inside the boat.

here are the drawbacks.....

the subs will rattle anything that in the boat that is not mechanically grounded or secured
the mid/higs will have to be delayed 3-5 milliseconds ( the mids and high will reach your ears much faster than than a bass wave..so they need to be "delayed" till the sub wave can make it out and not "cancel" out around the crossover frequency ( most car systems suffer from a lack of midbass in this freqency range)

the high eclipse and alpine decks will allow for the altering the phase and/or delaying the phase so the all the freqencies make it to you at the same time.

hope that helps,

mike

Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-20-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
An audio installation shop/company in Santa Rosa or Petaluma had an Air Nautique, and they put a 36" or 40-something inch sub up in the tower. The box and sub looked like a giant thick bimini top that took up the entire space there. It was truly wild, and yes I did see this personally. I'm bored and just thought I'd include this wonderful application of ridiculous bass :-)
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-23-2004, 11:06 PM Reply   
Saw a different setup-an aluminum diamondplate box w/4 speakers facing rear, and an 8 or 10" sub in bottom of box facing down.It was parked on a side street in SantaCruz. I would like to have heard it. looked good, not a cheezy homemade type.
Old    tattoobling            09-24-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
Kevin McGuirk -

I gotta see pictures of this thing. Got any?