Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-24-2017, 7:38 AM Reply   
Words can hardly describe the feeling I get when I hear awesome stories from across the country about sharing water sports with those that are less fortunate. I was watching this video from 2010 and makes me realize how far Wake the World has spread. At the time the video was made, the only events were in North Carolina and Texas (around 30 boats total). This last year, 43 events in 28 states! (450+ boats).

Thank you to everyone out there that loves to share water sports with others. If you are the kind of person that loves sharing water sports with others, let me know. It has never been easier to start your own Wake the World event. Come join our family!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXs5zTQYBc0
Old     (OSUBUCKS)      Join Date: Feb 2017       11-25-2017, 7:51 AM Reply   
I participated in my first WTW event this year in Columbus. It was great, everyone who was there and participated were awesome, the kids were great too!!! I don't remember the total number of kids we had but I think it was like 9 boats completely full.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-06-2017, 10:31 AM Reply   
We live in the Louisville KY area and would love to get involved.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-06-2017, 4:03 PM Reply   
And it is not just about water sports.

These kids need encouragement. I dare say that there is no one more encouraging than a boat driver trying to get you up for the first time. Think about when you learned, how many times did the driver say, "Try it again one more time."

Most of these kids come from homes that are living off the system and have no desire to do better. Entitlement programs have sucked the ambition out of them. Spending time on the water with someone, helping them overcome their fears, and sharing their joy of success, that is where real differences can be made. It is not just about the day. It is about changing your perspective of what is possible. We have had kids come back years later and say that they were in college now because of the encouragement they received at the lake. The impact you can have on a child's life by spending an afternoon with them is worth way more and has a longer lasting effect than money.
Old     (kdr)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-26-2018, 9:08 AM Reply   
I've participated in the Kerr Lake event in NC for the last two years. It has become one of my favorite days of the year.

We had a girl last year that absolutely did not want to get in the water, much less go behind the boat. Her friends convinced her to try the tube. Upon the (slow) takeoff, she had her weight too far forward and submarined the tube. She thought she was going to dye (I'm not exaggerating). We got her in the boat and it took her about 20 minutes to settle down. My wife started working on her and somehow convinced her to try again, but my wife would go with her this time. That girl overcame her fear (and it was genuine) and ended up having a great time. It was a slow ride, but she had a smile on her face from ear to ear. It was my favorite moment, to see her tackle her fear and reap the reward for doing so.

If you have a boat and can find a date that works for you, you should participate. It will be worth it, I promise.