Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old    tombugg            04-21-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
logo

This Saturday the 24th the AWA will be kicking off the season along with Calabria Boats and Lake Bartlett Boat & Ski Club. At Lake Pleasant's Two Cow Cove.

We have made some class adjustments:

Grom ( Age 0-11 )
Non-Competitive (Any age/gender Not Judged)
Novice ( 0 inverts )
Women's ( 1 invert )
Intermediate ( 2 inverts )
Advanced ( 4 inverts )
Outlaw ( unlimited )
Wakeskate (Any age/gender/ability)

Hopefully an article will be on WakeWorld soon.
For More information please call Tom @ 602-206-9357, e-mail azwakeboardassoc@cox.net
Or check out our website at http://www.azwakeboardassoc.com

Peace!!!

Tom Bugg
President
The AWA

Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
So the legend still Lives!

Good to see your still out there Tom. If you ever get back here lets ride.
Old    tombugg            04-22-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
I am looking forward to that ken! I will let you know the nextr time I am in town.
Old     (need2board)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-22-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
BUGGY...I am trying to be back home for the weekend, they got me back in atlanta right now..

Aaron
Old    tombugg            04-22-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
Get your But back home NOW!!!

On another note, I have just been informed that Alliance Wakeboard Magazine will be out there... Might be a chance to get in the magazine.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-22-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
Hey Tom!! Eddie and Jacob will be out there with Josh Lamar from GotRiver?. Can't make it out with them this time, hopefully the next comp.
Please give Christy and the kids hugs from us!
Old    tombugg            04-22-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
Chrissy is just about to download our second boy "Blake" Like today. If Josh and the boys need some place to stay they are more than welcome at our house. Have Josh give me a call.. This will be wild, the last time I saw the boys they were little grommets.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-23-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Hey Tom!! Ok, they are on the way!! (sniff,sniff) I wish we were going too! Big props out to Josh Lamar of GotRiver? for being a great sponsor! Huge thanks to you too Tom and Chrissy for your hospitality!! Make sure the boys help you out with the tourney!! Eddie can drive better than most adults so if you need help on the boats, put em to work!! thanks again!! Hugs, robyn
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-23-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
Where the heck did the Masters division go???
Old    tombugg            04-23-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
Robyn,
You are very welcome! Our house is open to you and your your family and the rest of CLWC (well 99.999% of them)ANY TIME! Looking forward to seeing the boyz. I am told they have progressed a bit since I have seen them last... Well, I better get to the Lake and get set up. IF you have any concerns please feel free to contact me on my cell phone or at home.

Tom Bugg
602-206-9357 Cell
623-388-3268 home
The AWA
Old    tombugg            04-23-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
Masters are such slackers they never show up to the events.... Hmmmm,. Haven't seen you at an event in a while either Joe... Slaker! your that .0001% I was talking about by the way!
Old    tombugg            04-24-2004, 10:32 PM Reply   
Event was KILLER! A season opener with 63 riders and about 300 people on the shore... Great weather! Great water!! Great people!!! Great wakes!!!!

Robyn,
Your boyz were incredible!! Not only did they come out and Whoop up on our advanced riders, they were quite possibly the most well behaved guests we have ever had at our house, and we have a lot of guests. You are raising GREAT kids. They are welcome at our place any time. I need you to get me your address. They left without getting their prizes.

Tom Bugg
The AWA
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-25-2004, 12:06 AM Reply   
Hey Tom, thanks so much for having them. God sure has blessed Henry and I with our kids. I have heard bits and pieces about their trip out there, can't wait to hear all about it. I did hear that they LOVED the calabria. Also, they so appreciated you opening your home to them. Isn't Josh like the best sponsor in the world? He genuinly loves the kids and takes such great care of them, Thanks to all of the AWA for a great even. I will post more later, when I get all the details. Tom, thanks again for opening your home, please give Chrissy a hug from us and keep us posted on the baby, hugs, robyn
Old    role2blind            04-25-2004, 2:32 AM Reply   
i don't think you could go wrong with josh he is a great person and just loves spending tme with people. he is e great sponsor!!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-25-2004, 9:12 PM Reply   
I heard differently about the Calabria...not about the wake, but how long it took to plane 'cause it had so much weight in it, which basically screwed the riders if they fell.

Will the Calabria be the only boat used for future events?
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2004, 8:06 AM Reply   
The first event was sweet. Tons of people and riders. It was cool to see a lot of new people out there as well!!

I would like to thank a couple of people who went above and beyond for this event. Corey Marotta of Alliance Magazine who was just "visiting" actually came out both days, donated his time, worked like a dog, and ended up judging the whole day (including the 18 rider intermediate class). Thank you Corey! And Chris Blumhagen from Kor Gear who also took over the grill and fed the entire crowd!!

I've posted some pics, however, there should be some really good pics coming.
Some of Saturday's crowd
Just some of the crowd Saturday Morning.

dock
Dock Scene

jimmy
Jimmy Wolf during a session on Friday

batwing
Mike Fulton with a sweet Batwing

jimmyspin
Jimmy Wolf again with a huge spin of the Double

bergers
And Last but not least....Chris Blumhagen firing up the grill.

Jlembas
Fluid Concepts
www.fluidconcepts.net
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2004, 8:17 AM Reply   
Joe,

The boat we were in was a bit sluggish. However, I didn't hear anyone complain about the wake. I think if we had a little more time to dial in the ratio of weight in the boats, we could have fixed the problem....or a longer course.

The next couple of events will be pulled by Malibu and Nautique. So everyone has a chance to ride behind different boats.

Jlembas
Fluid Concepts
www.fluidconcepts.net
Old    tombugg            04-26-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
Joe, Actually one of our sponsors Acme Props made a special 14 pitch prop for our AWA Pro V and it worked awesome! The grey boat was set up with a 17 pitch and about 3000#'s of extra weight so it was a little sluggish but it was understandable..

Great pics Jerry!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-26-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
Sound good guys. Thanks for the responses.

I should also point out that that was the only negative thing I heard about the event. And even then, they weren't even upset about it...just commented on it.

I'm thinkin' of gettin' some friends together to see about makin' it out to the next one. What's the Master's division like? Is there an invert minimum/limit? What's the competition like, as in what are they stickin'? I suck, so if I'm goin' against rippers, I'll step down to beginners.
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-26-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
Joe,
There isnt a freakin Masters division! And there should be! :-)
Old     (fubar)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
It was awesome to see Danny Dean out there too. He walked down the dock and into the boat to judge the Outlaw class! Very inspiring.
Old    corey_marotta            04-26-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
Tom,

What a great group of riders, the AWA has AZ on lock down. I was really impressed with the level of riding from the women and the wakeskate division. My ASU co-judges were a big help as well. See you at the next one.

CM
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-26-2004, 6:44 PM Reply   
i had fun guys, thanks!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-26-2004, 7:04 PM Reply   
Hi you guys! There was a kid named Tyler with quite the camera set up. He talked to the boys and to Josh about some shots he took. Does anybody know him, that can get me his # or email puleeeez?? No Fear wants to put the boys in a split shot for an ad and they need shots of them wearing their clothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My camera is just not cutting it!
And Corey, thanks so much for putting it out there for us out here on the left side. We so appreciate your hard work and dedication. Dang, three tourneys in three weeks, you need a rest!!! hugs, robyn

(Message edited by teamvaldez on April 26, 2004)
Old    tombugg            04-26-2004, 8:32 PM Reply   
Corey,
It was a pleasure to have you out to the event. I would love to get some input from you as to what we can do to improve give me a call soon.

Chris,
Thank you for coming out and having fun!

Robyn,
His name is Tyler Rempe. I do not have the registration info with me but I am in the process of hunting him down (He shot some pics of Brendan’s first competition run) When I get a hold of him I will let you know.

Josh & Team Valdez,
Thank you soo much for the cards, very classy touch! It really meant a lot to Chrissy. It was great having you all out. I hope you can make all of them.

Tom Bugg
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-28-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
The standings are posted including the wakeskate division! Check it out the http://www.azwakeboardassoc.com/.

It was also incredible to see Danny Dean out there!! Unfortunately, I was judging most of the time and really didn't get to spend any time with him. Good job Danny! Oh yeah....where are my DVD's??

Jlembas
Fluid Concepts
www.fluidconcepts.net
Old    road_hawg            04-28-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
What a great day at the lake! My hat’s off to all the AWA event officials for doing such a smooth job with such a huge number of riders and large crowd. The high level of organization was clearly evident, especially for the first one of the season. There must have been some mighty tired souls by the time the last boat was on the trailer the site was cleaned up and day came to a close.

Danny, his mom and I had a super-great time at the event! Danny said over and over on the ride home that the event was the best thing for his 'head' and the therapy was soooo good. It was his best day in over 3 months. He enjoys you all and the chance to be with the crowd was really sweet. Thanks again!

Doug Dean
Old    tombugg            04-28-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
Awesome to see you post on here Doug. Thank you sooooo much for being out there!

Jerry, Killer job on getting the standings up so quick. I am working on a e-mail to the people right now.

Tom Bugg
The AWA
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-28-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
WOW!!! what an event ! like i said, one of the best therapy sessions i've had. being in the boat made me feel like i could jump out there and do it again. thanks to all for an awesome day.

congrats to Fulton for 1st! and the rest of the riders.