Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-26-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
I just moved out to Cali about three months ago and I am living in San Diego, but was wondering if anyone rides in San Fran. I am thinking about moving up there to finish up school, plus Ive heard good things about the area in terms of music etc.
Old    walt            04-26-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
Ever hear of the Delta ? You won't have any problem finding people to ride with just as long as you have a good attitude and pitch in for gas.
Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-26-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
ya but isnt the delta an hour or so away?
Old    walt            04-26-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
About 1-1/2 But it's the best and closest place to SF.
Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-26-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
damn man thats far. what about lakes in that area?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-26-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
sorry barry the closest rideable lake is about the same distance and the delta from SF, maybe 15-20 minutes max closer. but they are small lakes and get crowded on the weekends. the delta is like florida on cali. smooth water to be found even in some of the worst storms. if your lucky and meet the right people theres a place to ride in the lagoon in foster city which is only about 10 minutes from SF. but its private and have to know someone that lives there

(Message edited by westsidarider on April 26, 2007)
Old    walt            04-27-2007, 5:34 AM Reply   
The drive time/distance is a small price to pay to be in the middle of one of the best wakeboarding places in the world.

I board at the Delta in the winter and it's a 1-1/2 drive for me too but I don't mind because it's such a great place to ride.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-27-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
If you live in the east bay (Oakland, San Leandro, Alameda, Castro Valley..etc), you can be 30 min from san fran and 30-45 from the delta.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-27-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
where you thinking of going to school in SF?
I live in foster city(20min south of sf) hit me up when you get into town.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
Can someone tell me where the delta actually is? I was just in the SF area (San Ramon, CA), and I want to hit it up the next time i visit! (potential in-laws will be there!)

Is it the water over by Oakley? Near the Naval grounds?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
"If you live in the east bay (Oakland..."
True dat, and the constant rat-a-tat-tat... tat-tat... Blam!!! of gun fire really adds some excitement to life! It ain't the 'burbs. Get a big dog or three if you're coming to Oaktown.

The delta is out past Oakley, past Brentwood. The closest development is probably Discovery Bay. On a map, it's not a single prominent body of water like you might be looking for, it's more like a network or matrix of narrow river-like bodies of water. Map Quest Discovery Bay, and everything east and north of that is the delta, extending all the way up to Sacramento. The longer drive makes for a little different type of experience. Usually a trip to the delta is an all-day deal, not unlike going to the mountains for a day of snowboarding. Less common to just jump out on the water for a quick set like you can do in other parts of the country. But the conditions are hard to beat anywhere, and the strong wakeboarding community vibe is unique to this area.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2007, 11:50 PM Reply   
Thanks Doc Oc! (... "you throw me the de' idol, I throw you the de' whip!" -- Alfred Molina rules)...

I can't wait to visit my girl's parents again.. they live in San Ramon.. it's less than an hour from the Delta! I'll just have to find a pull... but shouldn't be a problem with the fine folks from Wakeworld, some gas money, and a twelve-pack.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-28-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Brian, from san ramon get on 580 east and go over the big hill(altamont pass) the delta is all over the place once you get into the valley. it's like 30-40 min drive from san ramon
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-29-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
just hit 580 east, go over the altimont and get off at the byron exit and follow the signs towards byron and the boat marina, you will end up at Rivers end marina, super nice people, get yourself a delta map and ask the guy where some nice places to ride are he is always a awesome help. I would say from san ramon you are a max of 30 minutes away. It takes me about 45 minutes from hayward to get there.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-29-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
I find it a little odd to complain about a 75 minute drive to great wakeboarding from a major city (SF). That seems like luxury to me.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-29-2007, 11:08 PM Reply   
here are a couple of marinas to choose from
http://www.sacdelta.com/marinas/index.html
Old     (thedangcorn)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Why not just ski in SF bay? Seriously, it's usually nice and calm in the morning. I jet ski'd out there for years... lots of fun.

Common, picture it! Wakeboarding under the golden gate!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding under the golden gate bridge??? Are you nuts???? You might be able to surf the wave under there at times....
Old    walt            04-30-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
Corn,

The bay is no place for inexperienced boaters.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-30-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
i was just in tiburon and there are coves of the bay between tiburon and belvedere and sausolito and the water was always pretty flat there
Old    walt            04-30-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
Some of those coves are only a few feet deep.
Old     (thedangcorn)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
WCW, you're probably right. I assumed salt water was why nobody does it, but it is indeed risky in the bay if you don't know about currents/tides, and how overall nasty it can get out there.

I wouldn't take a wakeboard boat into 10 foot swells, but the bay does have moments where it is flat and calm (mornings).
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-30-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
The water in San Francisco Bay is cold, any time of the year. While there can be calm periods there is just so much heavy ship traffic that there are always big rollers going through. There are no significant lakes anywhere close to the city.

As others have said the Delta is your best bet. The are that is generally considered as the "Delta" is the area northeast of Antioch, west of Stockton and south of Sacramento. This is a a VERY large area! Use Google Earth to take a look all that water you see is pretty much the Delta. Avoid the big wide open areas, find the narrow sloughs that are wide enough to comfortably wakeboard in.

If you left San Francisco during rush hour on Friday evening then it would probably take you two hours to get to a decent spot. On Saturday morning, bright and early it would take you about 1 hour.

Rod