Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-08-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
I guess this is kind of a lifestyle question, but do you see a time in the future when you don't think you'll want to ride anymore?

I'm asking because I'm about to move and am trying to decide if it's worth it to spend about 30% more on a house ON the water, versus a house down the street from the water. Will I spend the money and then in a year or two not be into riding as much anymore? HIstorically, I get really hardcore involved in something, and then switch sports every couple of years. Right before I started riding again in Summer 2003, I was playing a lot of golf, and made it my goal to not only get back to scratch, but to qualify to play one Nationwide tour event that year. I played 4-5 times a week that summer and feel I was close - it obviously didn't happen once I strapped the board on and became addicted.

This is obviously something that my wife is dealing with now too - I talk about boats and riding constantly, and how I wish I could ride more, etc etc - you get the point. I just don't want to make the wrong move with the new house.

What are your thoughts on your riding career and how long you will be interested in the sport? I don't want to say I'll be into it forever, but there's just something about that feeling of getting pulled up and standing there - it's like everything goes away for that 15 minute set and you're in a perfect place. I can't imagine getting sick of it.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-08-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
I would spend the money. Having a house on the water would be great even if you don't ride. Fishing, cruising, sunsets etc... Plus, it may even keep you riding longer if you don't have to mess with hauling, trailering, and equipment.
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       03-08-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
Even if you got out of the sport I think you would have a solid investment. Just imagine the relaxation of overlooking the water. I don't imagine I will still be wakeboarding at 70 or anything, but I certainly could see myself living at that age near the beautiful waters edge...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-08-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
Sitting out on the porch and looking at my lake at night is worth as much to me as wakeboarding on it. Even more now that I ride at the cable 99% of the time anyway.
Old    clubjoeskier            03-08-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
Nuthin' like hanging out on your patio and seeing water. Even the bbq tastes better....
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-08-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
If you can afford the house on the water do it. Even if you stop wakeboarding in a few years, the mornings and evenings on the (dock, lawn, porch) looking over the lake will make it worth it. That's not including other hobbies that you would be able to do on the lake. We are gonna build a house on a lake in about 2 months.

Good luck which ever you decide.
Old     (steelerguy)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-08-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
I would stop riding to ride a sky ski exclusively. Just picked up an LE and cant wait for spring... Just 2 more months

Just purchased a Used LE sky ski and cant wait for it to get here then ride. ITs still colder than a Witches *** here in Pittsburgh. To keep things warm I watch this video.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=11864

(Message edited by steelerguy on March 08, 2005)

(Message edited by steelerguy on March 08, 2005)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-08-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
My plan is to raise kids on the water. I always dreamed of growing up on the water, with water sports. That's an opportunity I plan on providing to my kids. Even when I can't ride, I'll live through the joy of my kids. Hopefully they're into it!
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-08-2005, 12:17 PM Reply   
wow - great feedback so far. Thanks a lot.

Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-08-2005, 12:20 PM Reply   
I think there was something in Centurion's 2004 brochure that talked about a boat being the best investment in your family that you could make. The gist of the article was pointing out that a boat is one of the few things that can keep your teenage kids home for the weekend, spending time with their family.

I am a just a few years away from the big 40 and just pulled the trigger on a new Supra. I've got one blown out knee and another one that's pretty bad. It's apparent to me that I won't be able to ride forever, but I thought buying a brand new boat would be a great investment in my family. I have an 8 year old son and a 3 month old daughter. I can't think of a better way to spend time with them, even when the day comes when all I can do is drive the boat.

I would think that a house on the water would work the same way. Of course, being that you have or plan on having kids. If you don't, heck, I would buy it anyway. There's no better place to porch drink than on the porch of a lake house!

(Message edited by nauty on March 08, 2005)

(Message edited by nauty on March 08, 2005)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-08-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Yes, kids are on the horizon - I'd say 2-3 years. I agree with what you're saying Richard...

Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-08-2005, 12:38 PM Reply   
I thought I was the only one that changed hobbies like that. I would go from golf to hunting to racing motocross again then to fishing,etc. Ever since we got the boat I have no desire to change hobbies. Wakeboarding and boating is my passion and will always will be. There is something about the water that just tranquilizes(SPELLING) me.

The potential for any lake house is worth it just like everyone said above. If you have kids in the near future I would say definetly get the lake house. I have a 6 year old and 2 year old and they just love the lake. Me and my family have never spent so much time together as we have since we got the boat. We are all biting our fingernails waiting on summer. Me and my 2 year went down to the lake this past Saturday and she got so excited when she saw the boat sitting in the boat house. I was shocked she remembered as she was only a year old last year. She kept saying BOAT-WATER-DADDY. I guess you should have been there it was awesome.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-08-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
I am the same way with my hobbies. From Febuary until September I ride my butt off. Then the winter months I hunt my butt off. I have a strong passion for both, and like to do them both with family and friends.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-08-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
I was 14 when my parents bought on the water. dad fished, mom liked to look at and i had never seen a wakeboard or heard of it. 10 years ago. they spend every evening out on the deck and my mom drinks her coffee out there every morning. Buy on the lake. Chances are, your property value will appreciate faster anyway. And you could write a book on why living on the lake is better than not. I agree with Mike, the BBQ does taste better...
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-08-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
Unless you have kids it's hard to explain but J-Rod is right on. Raising your kids on the water is even better than riding yourself. I'm doing that right now and wouldn't change it for the world.
Some of my friends think I'm crazy for spending so much money on a nice boat then they leave their families to go play golf all day. What other sport can you do with your family that's as fun as watersports? Buy the house on the lake. It's a win win situation even if you never ride another day.
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-08-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
Get the house on the water. Even if you don't ride the resale value will be higher.

Old    tcboarder            03-08-2005, 7:20 PM Reply   
yea id say get the house on the water alos, its a great thing to have, there are plunty of people that have a hosue on teh water that dont ride, and its just a nice thing to have, if you can afford it go for it.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-08-2005, 7:42 PM Reply   
i would say buy the house, even if you quit riding you can put the house up for sale, and the value with be much greater than the "house down the street."
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-08-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
Id give my left nad to have a house on the water!!!!! Not too many affordable places like that in so cal...
Old    db69            03-08-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
I will never quit riding, unless I dye riding,Had back sugury last year, and doctor said I need a disc replacement, wakeboarded 3 times a week last year and doing better than ever on all tricks, and Now buyin a boat next month, workin 6 days a week for it, then Ill be happy and never ever quit boarding keeps you in shape!!!!!!!!!!!!