Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    ScottRobinson            08-13-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
ok just got a new Wakeology Stoke 138 board. The molded outside fins are soooo small but it comes with a fin in the center that you can take out or put in.

I have a 2009 Shane I have been riding with pretty big molded in fins and no center fin. Never ridden a board with a center fin.

Questions..what is it there for? Should I ride with it in? How does it affect surface tricks?

I am not very good, just now crossing the wake and it isn't perfect yet. Just wanted to know what I should expect from a center fin. I like a board that feels like it tracks really good so when I land I feel stable. Will this help?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-13-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
WELCOME TO THE FAMILY SCOTTT!

Nice choice in the WO Stoke! Now depending how you like your board loose or tight to ride to. I don't use the fin it comes with but switched it out from their first board WO OG. When I got my Stoke it seemed the middle fin of a 1.5" and now I ride with a 1". Also I have tried the .7 and it is pretty loose since I like a tight ride and not much of a surface trick person. Every board will ride different depending on style, shape, size. Take a screw driver with you and change it out and see what feels good. I know riders that don't use the middle fin but it's way to loose for me. I'm willing to bet you will like it with the fin in. Post up some pics bro!
Old    ScottRobinson            08-13-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
Thanks! I got the 138 Stoke (Lion design with yellow bottom) and I also got the new Matrix bindings. I love them. Haven't ridden them yet but tonight is maiden voyage. I like it tight and grippy at least so far. I don't do much surface stuff either, but need to learn some board slides and things. So thought that HUGE fin would cause a few faceplants. Where do I get smaller ones if I don't like the big one?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-13-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
Did you get the aluminum fins or the black plastic?

I know they have the aluminum fins that are smaller then the black plastic, hit up Jason at jason@wakeology.com and see if he will send you a pair. The smaller the fin the easier it will be to get your board around and face plant, LOL!
Name:  DPP_0029Wake.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  84.2 KB
Old     (dess03)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-13-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
i have a different board i have an obrian science 143 and mine has 3 big fins since i am still learning i love them the board tracks like its on rails i found the fins made learning to carve much easier
Old    ScottRobinson            08-13-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Yeah Jason was supposed to send those to me and either forgot or just didn't. I need to get with him.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-13-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
He's in TX right now filming with the riders... Send him an email and he will hit you back.

Let me know what you think of the board and bindings!!!
Old    ScottRobinson            08-13-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
Lance Cannon also told me he was in Texas. My binding seem a bit small but I want to ride them once to decide. I am hopeful tight is better and with water they get a bit more comfy. I need to get him to send those aluminum ones like he promised.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-13-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
Lance or Jason will take care of you, but their all in TX with the team shoot. If I had a pair I would send them out to you, but I don't. Not sure when their going to be back but keep me updated and I will go knock down his door and get you some.
Old     (ClutchIndustries)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-13-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
The whole Wakeology crew is in TX for the weekend filming, I'm sure they will get back to you monday or tuesday. No worries on the Bindings. Once you put them on with some water in them they will loosen up and your foot will fill the boot. If they are still too small, try putting your toes in, then steping down on you heel making sure it is the rear heal cup properly. After a dozen or so rides the bindings will break in an mold to you feet. I had the same fears once mine showed up but after a few sets they fit perfect. Let us know how you like em! I can't wait to hit the river on my settup tomorrow!
Old    ScottRobinson            08-14-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
Well I was supposed to ride yesterday....ugg didn't....So now I have to wait till Monday morning.

Maybe I can talk the family into a late night set tonight....doubtful....but I am dying to try these out.!!!