Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       09-14-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
Our good friend, fellow WakeWorlder and great photographer broke his tibia plateau this morning ridin out of Garcia Bend. Our best wishes go out to you and hope for a speedy recovery.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-14-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
Hope all heals well.......
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-14-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
Damn Riley. My heart goes out Brother. Al just told me, I'm waiting on the details. I'll bring you some pain meds when needed. Super bummed.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
Damn, another rider down from a lower leg break. Seems like they are just as common as an ACL tear these days.
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
Whats with all the leg breaks?? Good luck Steeze...heres to a quick recovery.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
Do you think the new bindings are transferring more stress on to the lower leg?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-14-2008, 10:19 PM Reply   
I did that last year and still need another surgery. Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

What trick did he break his on?
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-14-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
got milk?

Seriously tho... that isnt Steezy at all!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-14-2008, 11:21 PM Reply   
Tibial plateau fractures can be tough to fixate. I broke my foot 3 weeks ago....came partway out of 1 binding...now have a plate and 7 screws but nothing like tibial plateau. Speedy recovery Riley
Old    walt            09-15-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
Get well soon Riley.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2008, 5:50 AM Reply   
i broke mine 7 years ago - non-displaced (no surgery)

couldn't walk for 7 weeks....

good news is it has healed fine and hardly ever creates a problem (and no ligament damage) good luck on recovery.

(oh yeah - ts o/a 5 did me in)
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-15-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
it was a scarry time on the boat yesterday. Riley was up in the air then just disappeared. It didnt even look like a bad fall, maybe just a slap to the face. I came off the throdle and heard him yelling, and couldnt get back fast enough. We had to cut his binding off and got him to the hospital (he was still there as of 2am last night). We all thought the worst was that he tore an ACL or something...i had no idea it was a bone break.

Heal fast homie!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-15-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
Wow, best of luck to you and the healing process.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Damn Riley, another brother down. Hope surgury goes smooth. What hospitl is he at AL?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-15-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
That sucks, hope all go's well with your recovery Riley.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-15-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
That sucks, Hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

What bindings was he wearing?
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-15-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
he was at sutter general...home now.

he was wearing the 07 3DS bindings. I dont think the bindings made a difference. It looked like he landed on his toes a little, disapeared from the toe edge catch, but then the combined force of the board getting pushed up and his body coming down forced the injury. he said his knee popped out to the side on the landing (like a dislocation).
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       09-15-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Riley, we're gonna have to get the Xbox's hooked up since we're both gimped up for a while.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-15-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Thanks to all for the support! We'll be back out shootin and ridin soon! Now Shawn and I can be gimpy together...and we'll see who plays better xbox on pain killers.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
OH OH OH! You gotta play a game with a respawn time, and whenever you die, you drink that time... It can get crazy if you start dying a lot... Yeah, I'm that much of a nerd.

Hope you recover quick Riley.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-15-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Glad to see you are in good spirits. Video games are way cool on pain killers!!
Old     (linz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-15-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Glad to hear you still have your humor Riley. Let me know if I can do anything for you and Cassie. What a rough day! Glad you are home and comfortable now though. Hope to see you soon!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-15-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
Just got all the info from the Doc and my tibia is fractured on the plateu but also in 3 other spots. Go in for a surgery consult on Wed. and Im sure surgery will be scheduled for a short time after that.

Linz, Al, Ben and Mather, Thanks for all being Johny on the spot and helping me out!

Cassie says thanks too! She probably would have freaked to see me screaming like that!

This really sucks but at least it happened in September rather than April!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-15-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Oh and the worst part is I did it on a straight wake to wake jump! LAME! Was practicing re-entry's and double up re-entrty's cause the water was a little blown out and i decided to hit the wake and a bow roller threw me off and I just landed weird.

Just goes to show weird things happen in this sport we all love.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2008, 11:40 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear you are down for a bit. Let me know if I can do anything. Wish i could be the first to sign the cast. Get well soon.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-17-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Corey! I'll just impose the signature from the mag you sent me on to the cast. I actually don't think I'll be getting a cast, more of a brace due to surgery.

Hit me up when you get down this way!

Ad when you get the 09 Consumer catalog shoot me down a few of them!

(Message edited by steezyshots on September 17, 2008)
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-17-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
you know I will Riley! for both, but more excited about hanging when I get down there.

i dont know if you will be able to get that signed copy of my mag premier away from Cassie, that is a collectors item.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       09-18-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Was up Riley, You get surgery date yet hommie? Hope everything is well. Remember to take all your stool softners or else yull be trippin
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-18-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
HAHA! Yeah man these perk definitely stop things up!

Surgery on Monday at noon at Sutter Roseville, My doc is a wakeboarder and really made me feel better, said I could be on wakeboard in 4 months. I will probably wait until next summer to be safe and to get time in the gym to strengthen everything.

I'll have 1 of the gnarly scars to match yours shawn and a few small ones for the screws.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-18-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
Naw,,,just take acai berry with the Vicodan....you'll be ok
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-20-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
Shawn you were right! When the blood goes back down my leg, probably the worst pain ever felt in my life!

What do you do to stop that? I though i had a blood clot cause my calf hurts so bad when i get up and i had no pulse in my foot.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-20-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
Riley, If you want to loosen up your calf to allow the blood to flow better, all you really have to do is lightly squeeze your calf muscle up and down to loosen up the muscles and allow a better flow. The only reason there is pain when blood starts flowing is because there is no where for it go because your leg is reacting to the injury trying to close everything up. You really just need to go up and down the calf slowly loosening it up to whatever pain you can tolerate. It will also help the lymph get flowing to help get some of your fighter cells in there and do their job. Im in a DO school down in Lauderdale and we do this type of treatment to the old people all the time with really bad cellulitis who really can't tolerate much touching.

Another thing that helps but I think might be too painful due to the break is something we do called the pedal pump. Probably the most effective technique where you will lay down and just have your girlfriend pump your feet as if your foot was a pump for say a well. We ALWAYS do this to the geezers to get their lymph and blood flowing and it is by far the most effective technique if you can handle it. Just pop a perc, chug a beer, and let her try it out
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-20-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
here is an example, you can do this REALLY lightly
Upload
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       09-20-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
Riley- What Kyle is referring to is called "ankle pumps". Once you sit start moving your ankle up & down to get blood flowing. It does hurt like a bitch though. I wiil call ya sunday, was hoping to maybe stop by and say hi before your surgery.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-20-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
Riley...keeping your leg elevated will relieve the pain that develops when you let your leg hang and the blood flow and swelling increases. And I wouldn't worry about leg exercises right now. You will have plenty of time for that. And pulling your ankles up will hurt because you are contracting the muscles attached to the tibial plateau that is currently fractured. Resting your leg so it can heal is the best thing right now. But keep it elevated and stay on time with the pain meds. And ask your doctor before you start any of the exercises recommended on this thread. What may be good for old people with cellulitis is not necessarily recommended for a fracture. Godspeed with the healing, man.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-21-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
which is why i said don't do it if it hurts. just was trying to give him a couple options to maybe help reduce his pain until monday. Obviously if he is grimacing in pain you wouldn't do the procedure but if he is complaining about circulation problems then giving him a couple options to help improve it isn't going to hurt him
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
'Just pop a perc, chug a beer, and let her try it out'

Doesn't sound like 'which is why i said don't do it if it hurts'

but whatever....I would stick to school and learning right now and not giving medical advice if I was you....you have a long way yet till graduation

Best to ya tomorrow Riley....
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-21-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
that was a joke, just trying to keep his spirits up lol
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
Good!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-24-2008, 4:12 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! The calf is better now that i have had surgery and it is in a brace that i can move my foot. Now the painful part is bending my knee which my doc wants me to do right away. This Sh@t sucks bad! I recommend nobody breaks their tibia plateau!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-24-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
Now the process of healing begins, take it easy and get back to good as new. Thanks for the update!
Old     (dragginby)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
I borke my tib and fib Aug 14. Had surgery Aug 15. Rod and 4 screws. Keep bending your leg, try moving your ankle if possible. Keep it elevated as much as possible. I am still on crutches, but getting around. Keep icing it. Good luck on your recovery.