Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (sasquatch_hntr)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
I am looking to buy a boat for wakeboarding.. does anyone have any advice on the 2007 Bayliner 175?? i have a price quote of only $14G new, but i also am looking at a 1990 Mastercraft Prosport 190, $14G. Anyone know why the new Bayliner is so cheap, compared to most new boats selling for $40G+??
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-30-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
14G !! that alot for a bayliner 175. that boat is their most econical model which should be about 10K plus fees brand new. its not a waterpsorts boat and it made with inexpensive parts and componets. its a runabout for fishing and cruisin more so than watersports. 14K for a 1990 mc is too much too. you should be abot to get a 94-95 for that. i would go the mc route if your looking for something to wakeboard behind. plus it will outlast the bayliner.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-30-2007, 10:53 PM Reply   
I have one, and its not bad. its not the best but it does the job.. I had to reprop the boat and with the new prop there is nothing that boat doesnt do for us. Its great on gas, it has been very reliable and comfortable for my family. Im no pro rider so I dont need the biggest wake possible, its just fun.

I paid 15k for mine which is an XT so it came with a tower stereo and graphics. I added tower speakers, racks, bimini and prop and Im happy with it. Ya I would like a new "wakeboard boat" but id rather have mine and have the extra cash leftover for lots of family trips to various lakes.

Your going to get alot of negatives from lots of people on this board. But from an owner of one, its a great boat.

Here are my negatives about that boat

1. Not enough Storage in the boat.
2. Wish it had a better swim platform (we are adding that next week)
3. Need to change out to a 4 blade 18p prop

Positives:

1. The price
2. it has been very reliable
3. very easy to maintain
4. EXCELLENT on gas
5. Tower is made by XTP and is very sturdy and strong, no rattles
6. very light and easy to trailer
7. the price

Hope that helps

one more thing and I hope this helps.. I dont mind my tower, but If I were to do it again, I would have bought the regular 175 for 10k without the tower and stereo and put on a monster tower and my own stereo
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-31-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
I have to agree with isaac on this one. Since I too have the 175xt, I would not buy an 17yr. old m.c. over my 06 bayliner. I have progressed so much behind this boat and so have my friends, if its all u have you will adapt. Def. change the prop, I added some weight and its all good. And again ,the price is right. Not everyone has the money to buy a wakeboat, if u do thats great I would also but if u dont u dont. Get what u can and have fun, thats what its all about is fun! Dont let anyone on here knock u for that.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-31-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
as somebody that moved from an I/O to a wakeboard boat last year, I would never buy a 1990 MC over a brand new Bayliner at a similar price.

However, I found that I/O's can be a real headache, but not until maybe 5-10 years down the road. Mine was a 1996 and everything on the outdrive needed to be replaced in the last year I owned it (2006).
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-31-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
Both are overpriced, but when a 1990 model is the same price as a new model, that should TELL YOU SOMETHING. The other thing is that they have to reprop it because it is UNDERPOWERED. I would take an older MC over a new bayliner any day.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-31-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
the only benefit i see buying the new bayliner over a used mc is; dealer service and financing. otherwise the used mc hands down. although i would go for a 93 prostar 205 for wakeboarding. the bayliner has alot of wood, so if you not carefull it will rot. in five years the mc will probaly still be worth close to the same , the bayliner nwill be worth maybe $2000. you will nevr be able to surf behind the bayliner. you wont have a nice back deck to get ready.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-31-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
Paul, does that mean almost every wakeboard on the market is underpowered? because I certainly see alot of mastercrafts, nautiques, Malibu's being repropped as well...

Its all about what your going for. The 175 is not designed to be a "wakeboard boat" its designed as a family do it all boat. And out of the box, it does just that. It has plenty of power to get you around the lake (at 50mph) and pull you out of the water and wakeboard.. some of us just added some weight and need a little more out of the whole to compensate for the additional weight or people you might bring.

Id rather have an brand new 06 with a warranty then a 15 year old boat that has probably started to give someone a headache, which is the reason why they are probably selling it. Just my 2 cents
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-31-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
i have nothing against the bayliner, they must be good boats think they sell more boat than anyone else combined. but like isaac said, it depends on how it will be used. my good friend has one and it great for him, he likes to fish and float/drink and the occaisonal wakeboard ride. so an mc would be a waste for him. the 92-95 mc were probably the best years vere made. great hull design, great fit and finish and bullet proof drive train. very simple to maintain and work on, unlike today's complex motors.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-31-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
They reprop them because they put a ton of weight in them. Put the same amount in the bayliner and it probably would not move. Those have a 3.0, 135hp motor in them, and they are 17 foot long. Plus their website has them listed at 11K, not 14, so you are getting ripped(actually both are overpriced). The MC will outlast, and outperform.

But I agree with Rod, look for an old 205, or a 2001 nauty.
Old     (photoguy)      Join Date: May 2005       05-31-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I would try to take in some of the advice people here offer you we are trying to save you money over the long hall. I have owned 8 boats over the years both sportfishers & wake boats. I think what you need to keep in mind is not just how much the boat costs but the real difference in the quality of the boat how it is made and how it will hold up down the road. The Bayliner is like a car lease you will use it and when you are done you have nothing for your money… it will be almost worthless, it is a starter boat basically it's disposable. A 07 Bayliner by in large will not be running in 20 years most tournament style boats will be. Here is a good example…. First brand new boat I bought was a Seaswirl Ocean fishing boat… nice looking boat and great price. After a couple years that boat looked like it was 20 years old spiders, broken hardware etc. I was at a boat show and climbed aboard a boat built locally here in CA I was extremely impressed with the boat great in every way… I thought I was on a new boat but the salesman explained that all there boats are custom so they use customer boats at the show, the boat I was on was 6 years old, had like 700 hours on it. Sold my Seaswirl and bought the Davis, expensive it was but 5 years later it is worth more than I paid for it. I just sold my 1988 Nautiqe for almost what I paid for it 11 years ago and I bought a 7 year old Nautique that looks like a new boat. You will find a lot of very loyal owners…Nautique, MC, Sanger etc. not a lot of second time Bayliner people around. Just my 2 cents… once again buy what works for you and your family but don’t fool yourself into believing there is no difference in what you are getting… I would take and old high end boat any day over a new Bayliner. Remember you get what you pay for. Good Luck!

Steve
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-31-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
I dont think anyone is going to argue the fit and finish of a bayliner to a mastercraft or nautiqe. I will argue that my boat is way more economical and me and my family have just as much fun on ours as you and your family has on yours.

Me and my wife had a discussion the other day about the boat and she brought up a good point.. she said we can sell ours and buy a mobius or a centurion, but for as much gas those things use.. dont plan on going out 3 days a week like you normall do... Id take 3 days a week riding vs 3 times a month... Ive never had a person out on my boat that has complained about it either
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-31-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
I would bet a weighted 3.0L will use more gas than a weighted 5.7L. It will be able to handle load with less strain.

I never said you wouldn't have fun on one either. To each his own.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-31-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
I think you have to look at the reason you're purchasing a boat. If you're an occasional and recreational wakeboarder I don't know that spending 60k is right for your particular situation. If wakeboarding is the primary reason for your purchase and 14k is your budget maybe listen to the progressive wakeboarders on here. I personally have an I/O but I also have a wife and 2 kids and they don't board. I board for recreation so for me I'd rather spend 60k on something roomy with a head for the kids. If and when my family decides they also want to board I will look into a wake specific boat at that time.
When making a pleasure investment resale isn't always an issue. When I purchase a 50k Escalade the retention of value WILL be more of an issue to me than when I buy a 13k Scion. You can't compare apples to oranges.
Bottom line, decide what you would like your vessel to do and base you purchase off of that factor.
I always tell my wife, don't walk into a seafood restaurant, order steak and then complain when it isn't the best steak you've had.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-31-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
Paul, I can promise u that a 5.7L will burn more gas no matter how much weight u put in the 3.0L!! I know cause I have the bayliner and my buddy has the 5.7 and actually he doesnt put weight in his, I have at least 300-400#'s. Sounds like u have no experience in an i/o where as I have experience in both.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-31-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
An $11k Bayliner will still be worth $7k in decent shape in 5 years by the way - not $2k. Here in Minnesota $2k buys you a 1984 Glastron at best.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-31-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
erik, i think $7k is a stretch. 5, maybe. Why would someone buy a 5 yr old I/O thats about to need all sorts of stuff. instead of a direct drive that will hold value.

both boats will need stuff done to them over time, thats part of owning a boat. I think a direct drive would need less done to it over time.

So, if maintenance and resale are an issue, how long will you own the boat before you upgrade/trade?
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-31-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
i would much rather have this///

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/342057952.html
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-31-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Shannon,
I can assure you I have experience with both. But I can guarantee you my I/O burns more gasUpload
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-31-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
drive a inboard ski boat once and you will forget all about an i/o.

check out the sunsetter LX's on boattrader.

(Message edited by ttuclint on May 31, 2007)
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-31-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
Cint, I have driven an inboard and that has not been the case..

Rod, If I were to do it all over again.. I wouldnt even consider calling up the owner of that boat to talk to him about it.. its a 16 year old boat!!! closed bow slalom ski boat
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-31-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
so you would rather have your Bayliner than my 96 VLX, for right at about the same price ?
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-31-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
isaac, obviusly you havent driven or riden behind one. i had a 93 and it was awesome. howver i do see your point , i sold it for more room. but i bought a 05 malibu rlxi.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-31-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
It's all in what you want and sometimes posting on a place like this will only make things more difficult. I'm going out on a buddy's I/O today and can't wait. Equally as stoked as if I were going out on mine or anyone else's. It's about being on the water and having fun. One more hour in the office!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-31-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
One thing I notice in these discussions is that there always seems to be a few with elitist attitudes about D/V-drives - anything else just doesn't measure up. I suspect the persons who would rather have a 17 y.o. boat probably has more free time and wouldn't mind replacing steering cables, replacing a wood floor, fixing seats, blah blah blah. Others have serious jobs, families, houses and cars to maintain and do not have time to worry or tinker with their boat.

I have had both and have a v-drive now and think there are solid arguments for either.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-31-2007, 10:40 PM Reply   
From the time I was 8 years old until 2 years ago my family had an 83 Glastron 17" i/o that I thought was pretty sweet until we got into wakeboarding and I went and drove a few Malibu's on a demo day.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-01-2007, 5:28 AM Reply   
do whats right for you and your... resale is a mute discussion when comparing in my opinion and experience. The general problem with a used bayliner vs a used mc is the generally the level of care and attention they received. which one is like better taken care of? If you treat your brand new bayliner the same way you would a brand new MC, it will retain its value...

I bought a brandnew, leftover 2000 bayliner in 2003 for 13,500 out the door. I added perfect pass, tower and auto ballast(1200lbs). approx $2500 invested).

We used the piss out of that boat... 3-4 times a week from march thru november, it had to have at least 6-700 hours on it.

I sold it for $12,500 in 2006, and had some other accesories like extra sacs, tower mirror, racks that I sold off seperately that got me close to another grand...

I and my buddies did a lot of progressing behind that boat. My biggest complaint was the consistency of the wake... which was mostly due to where I ride because of the depth(still noticeable with the v-drive). We were also looking for a better layout, the bayliner had the back-to-back seats for driver and passenger side.

I still miss that boat at both the gas pump and everytime I make the new boat payment.

You get plenty of bang for your buck with a bayliner. Just keep in mind if Wakeboarding is the only thing you are goin to do, you maybe better off in the long run goin with an inboard. If you get serious about riding, you will most likely grow out of the bayliner, but I see plenty of people that buy an older inboard(because it is an inboard and must have a better wake) and grow out of it just as quickly! If you buy an older inboard for wakeboarding just do your research and know you are getting wake wise what you are looking for!

(Message edited by gmarkham1 on June 01, 2007)

(Message edited by gmarkham1 on June 01, 2007)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-01-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
I have owned both, so I will weigh in. I started with an 18 foot I/O and we had a blast in it and learned how to ride behind it over a 3 year period. I bought an older Direct Drive and put a tower on it and my crew really started to progress behind this boat, the tower and shape/size of the wake were all components of the progression. All we ever do is board and wakesurf and we were much happier with the Direct Drive. If I were more of a recreational boater, I would probably lean towards an I/O. I would definitely miss wakesurfing if I bought an I/O. So, like the other posts have said, if you are going to wakeboard most of the time, you should consider the tried and true option of buying an older tournament style boat.
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-01-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
Well, i will also chime in since i own this same boat . We purchased ours before the price increase last spring though so we are kinda lucky in that aspect . Got out the door for 13k loaded . The base price of this boat is now like $11.6 and with the xt package your gonna be around 15k or so out the door . As to buy an i/o or not , so many have said it depends on what you expect out of it . I run 400lb in the ski locker and 250 in the nose and with 4 to 6 guys , it has a decent wake . It has been reproped to 18p 4 blade . I finally got to ride behind some friends 04 vlx , and with the stock ballast full , the wake was not that much bigger than my bayliner . Now im sure if we dropped the wedge , and added some more weight , it would get bigger . Just stating that the wake behind the bayliner is deff ridable and progressable ! Just get a boat and get out and have a good time . Any boat is better than no boat . Make sure you take care of it and it will retain enough value to offload it in a couple years if ya wanna upgrade .
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-01-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
that Bayliner will hold its value pretty decent. I just did a search on a local classified site here in Minnesota and I came across a 1997 1750 for $7300, a 2001 1600 for $7900, and 2000 1800 for $8900. None of them have any better than a 3.0L, one even has a 90HP outboard. My point is that at least in this market, if the boat is in decent shape, and has the "newer" look that most boats after around 1995 have, It will still be worth $7k or more. A very small minority thinks in terms of "I'd rather have a 17 year old direct drive"
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-01-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
i wouldnt trade my 19 year old boat for 2 or even 3 of those bayliners. my boat will be around in another 20 years. my buddy has a 98 bayliner 20 ss and everything in it is made of 3/8 plywood. and its rotting to hell.you do get what you pay for. and im just talking about boat itself not wake, riding, power, resale, driveability.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-01-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
I wouldnt trade my 2006 bayliner for a 1 2 or 3 19 year old boats either.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-01-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
yeah? well lets see some pics of the wake. we used to ride behind an io and even with weight the wake was awful. your asking about a wakeboat on a wake site. if your a fairweather rider buy the liner . hell buy 2 i dont care.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-01-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
ya.. Im no pro rider, nor do I ever wish to be. Wakeboarding is just something I do 20 percent of the time im on the water. The rest of the time, we are tubing, swimming, hanging out, cruising around having a good time.. the wake is good enough..

good enough will always win over best just as your boat is good enough for you and is not the best
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-01-2007, 11:47 PM Reply   
yeah i wouldnt call 20% a wakeboarder. [IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/882001/boat214.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-02-2007, 12:43 AM Reply   
Ya, also don't worry about which board you buy, which bindings, which line, or even if you have a tower. People have progressed for years with unidirectional boards, sandalstraps, and no tower.

The idea that the wake is not really going to matter much is laughable unless you really don't care about how fast you learn. The fact is that with better equpipment, from board and bindings to the boat, you will progress faster and that will make the whole experience more enjoyable, IF!!! you're in it for the boarding. If you just want a boat and boarding is just another way to fill time then it probably doesn't matter as much.
Old     (eddie978n)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-02-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
I would get the new bayliner, but get the 4.3l engine. For me, especially if wakeboarding isnt going to be your main event, the fact of not having to worry about a 10 year old boat breaking down is priceless. Plus the 17 foot bayliner will be so much easier to learn about boating with, and you know its not going to give you problems. the 4.3l is a must though over the 3ltr. If you kept the boat in like new condition for 3 or 4 years then you can still get 8 or so out of it. Thats the worse part, the loss of value. Good luck
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-02-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
882001, How much weight are you running there? That wake is a thing of beauty.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-02-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
Owning a bayliner is like owning a neon you can put all that crap on it but its still not a corvette.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-02-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
880# total. a 440# on each side of the motor cover.it gets really big if you add another bag across the back. 2 peeps in the boat. try that in a bayliner.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-02-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload

Not Bad for A TURD!
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-02-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload

Try that in a bayliner. We add another 580lbs in the back. Bringing the grand total to 1660.

All that for under 5600 when bought, with the new additions 8000. And lets be honest, its got a better wake than a bayliner. Thats why I bought and sold our bayliner. Also it starts and runs much better than the bayliner. Servicing the engine is easier because its right in the center of the boat with full access to everything. The only thing that is worse is the gallons per hour burnt.

This is what our bayliner wake looked like
Upload
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-02-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
The pic above shows the problem with I/O's in my opinion, the wide beams that alot of I/O's have make for a wake that gets wide really close to the boat, so you have to ride shorter lines to be in the clean part of the wake, and in my crew as we progressed, we started riding longer lines and needed a wake that was still clean and firm. The I/O wake above is wide, soft and starts to roll over further back.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-03-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
eric have you switched to the acme 542 yet? it will improve gph by alot. how do you like those launchpad loungers? hard to fill/drain? comfortable? i have the square launch pads and they suck to get empty.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-03-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
882001, I switched to the acme 540. I have the big block engine so i decided i did not need the 542. We had 1600lbs of ballast in the boat, plus 5 people plus a rider. Didnt have any issues pulling out of the hole. Handling was weird but do-able.

I LOVE the launch pad loungers. They are kinda tough to drain and get completely empty, but I am using the old style blue connectors, not the new uber pump connectors. They are wicked comfortable. We only blow up the back support. You could blow up the part that you lay on but its not really necessary. The added two seats is great because they allow you to sit facing the action. Also when surfing having the seat helps cause you just tell your fat buddy/relative to sit back and relax while you eat up that nice wake.

I gotta add some weight to the nose of my 2001. Im so used to the I/O wake (see picture above) that going to the wicked peaky wake of the 2001 was really hard and resulted in me breaking my binding.