Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Other Water Sports

Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,201346,00.html
found this this morning
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-28-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
sad. it shouldn't be long before that thing is banned everywhere.

(Message edited by dakid on June 28, 2006)
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-28-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Not again. That's so sad. To think that people are just trying to have fun and then this happens. You're right Joe...shouldn't be long before it's banned.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-28-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Yup and if they dont oulaw them on the lakes there will be more deaths to come. Thats four I have read about in six or less months. Thats gettin close to one death a month.
My prayers are with his family.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-28-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
this is the 2nd death ive read about where they died several hours later in the hospital, kinda weird?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-28-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Man, that's sad.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-28-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
Damn! That sucks. They look like fun at first, but common sense should come into play somewhere. Water can get pretty hard at those speeds and heights. Let's get rid of those tubes so we don't have to keep hearing these stories.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-28-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
We all keep saying it shouldn't be long...heck i was even told our local shop has pulled the product yet i went in there a week ago and the thing is plastered to the ceiling with fancy "yours for 499" writing. I dont know how many more its gonna take.

R.I.P.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-28-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
Automobiles? Motorcycles? Powertools? Lawn mowers? Hang gliders?

All have many, many more deaths and injuries. I am not trying to be insensitive, but everything carries risk - even sleeping on a pillow.

Personally, I would not own one or let me kids use one. However, if you want to use one, it is your choice and should be a personal choice.

My prayers for his family.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-28-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
You can't fix stupid and you can't legislate common sense.....they were going 40 MPH on it.

What do you think is going to happen when you hit the water? I feel for the relatives.

Delafield man killed in raft crash
Boating accident happened in northern Wisconsin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By JUSTIN KERN - GM Today Staff
June 28, 2006

WAUKESHA - A boating accident Monday on Little St. Germain Lake in northern Wisconsin killed a Delafield man, leaving his family "devastated."
A tube kite towed by a boat was carrying Gregory L. Bykowski, 42, who became airborne and then crashed into the water at 8:07 p.m. Monday, according to the Vilas County Sheriff’s Department and Bykowski’s family. He was taken to a hospital there and died five hours later from head and chest injuries, according to the sheriff’s department.

The boat towing the raft was traveling about 40 mph and lifted Bykowski about 2 feet in the air before the accident, said his father, Robert Bykowski. The elder Bykowski lives in Muskego and heard the news of his son’s death early Tuesday. He said the family is shocked by the sudden death of their "happy-go-lucky" loved one.

"We’re taking it very hard, very hard. It’s been a rough day," Robert Bykowski said.

(Message edited by rson on June 28, 2006)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-28-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
Just cleaning out the gene pool one at a time, common sense is not all that common
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-28-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
it's all about money, chris.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-28-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
You should pick out your Casket before you buy the Kite Tube.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
When I first saw these things I thought How Cool is that. After seeing what I have seen, and reading what I have read, No way on gods green earth will I ever get on one of those things. I do however believe that the risk is up to the individual person If you want to buy one and take your chances, that is your choice as a free American. But you will never see me on one.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-28-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
he was only TWO feet off the water??? thats more like a regular tubing accident. i agree that these things should be taken off the market, but the other deaths i thought were from larger heights?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-28-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
Chris,

Tell Jim his cousin said whatsup!
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-28-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
Yeah, the other deaths I've read about have been from larger heights. I thought that was a bit strange too.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-28-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
40 mph on a tube? I hit well over 40 on my slalom ski, while barefooting, but on a tube? I never let my boat get over 25 while towing a tube.

I am always amazed at what people will do. The poor boat driver must be sick with guilt.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-28-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
yea i was wondering if that was a typo or what. 2 feet? that just doesn't sound right to me
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-28-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
I don't think the people riding them have much control once they're airborn. I've never ridden one....but it looks to me like once it goes up to a certain height...the leverage you have to put on it to hold on makes it go even higher and takes all control away. At that point, they're just trying not to fall off the back or sides.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-28-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
im sure the kite tubes are alot of fun [i've never ridden one]. but there must be some kind of safer alternative...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-28-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
keep in mind, you need to fall only 40 feet to reach terminal velocity
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-28-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
I got to ride a WEGO tube a few weeks back, and as much fun as I can say I had on it I probably will never get on one again. Yes the rider can control the side to side movement(very sensitive to any side to movement by the rider) to a point, but the height is mostly determined by the driver.
How fast the driver goes and backing off the throttle when it starts to get to high. Fortunatly for me I had a great driver, and I didnt get hurt, although my lower back was really bad for a few days following, just from the way you stand up on it.
Anyways, I would love to see these things taken off the market also. Way to easy to get hurt, and way to many deaths already.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-28-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
they should take guns off the market because they kill people too...ridiculous
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-28-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
nacho - you sure about that? What is terminal velocity for a human body falling uncontrolled?

Lucky - how many people that buy guns are aware that they have the potential to kill you? How many people that purchase WEGO's uderstand that they are deadly weapons?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-28-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
Lawsuit waiting to happen!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-28-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
By nacho (denverd1) on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:41 pm:

quote:

keep in mind, you need to fall only 40 feet to reach terminal velocity

Not sure what it is but it's a whole lot more then 40'..........I went skydiving and it took about 6 seconds of free falling to reach terminal velocity.
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-28-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
winner, winner, winnner!!!!! You the man big Ed, other factors aside 6 seconds sounds pretty good and at a g-force of 32 ft/sec/sec you will be goning 131 MPH. (i think that is even short, i though terminal velociy was 180mph or so.)

nacho - at 40 feet, 1.11 seconds into the fall, you are doing 23.8 mph (no wind resistance or aerodynamics considered)
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-28-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
Responsibility tells me to read all warnings and instructions.

Directly stitched to the tube it says that "death may occur". So everyone should know
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-28-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
The only reason I can see that WEGO has not pulled it's own product yet is because of admission of guilt. From the manufacturers liability point they have got to be crapping in their pants. They have got to be just hopeing that the lakes ban them, thus giveing them a reason to quite production of the kite tube. IMO
Old     (newman)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-28-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
I think terminal velocity's more like 300-500 feet. D = 1/2 a t^2
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-28-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
I was just searching for the warning label info online because I could have sworn someone said that it says "don't fly higher than you're willing to fall". When searching I found out this...

The Wego Kite Tube won the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association's Sports Product of the Year Award for 2006.

Yikes.

Upload
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-28-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
maybe we should have a group buy for these and give away to every cove cruiser and wakeboard boat who wants to tubeShould clean the water up nicely, besides the delays from care flight
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-28-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
Check out the following videos.

http://www.heytone.com/movies/movies.html

I don't think these guys know how dangerous it really is.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-28-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote "Lucky275 (lcky275) on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:52 pm:

they should take guns off the market because they kill people too...ridiculous"

Guns don't kill people, I DO
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-28-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
Actually, they should take guns off the market for exactly that reason.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-28-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
ol john, I am glad you that opinion. I have an ample # of guns and not one, and I mean never has one of my guns got up, loaded itself, and pulled the trigger or harmed anyone. The same can't be said for Ted Kennedy's car
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-28-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK....!!!!!

There is no need for goverment to play big brother more than he already is! If they ban it then thats just another freedom we lose, called the freedom of choice!

Leave them on the market, why not people still smoke cigs which are proven not only kill smokers but even second hand smoke..

Its called the freedom of choice, now if alittle gets killed then the parents should be held responsible, me no tubing faster than 25 (for me) little ones much slower.

Think about how many videos we see of people boarding with NO vest at all! your choice, drink drive, smoke, shoot whatever, everthing has an opposite and equal reaction
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-28-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
entrust,

as to the dying several hours later, here some possible reasons why.

When hitting water at that speed there is not much differecne than hitting concrete, neither give very much. Depending on many factors including genetics, force of impact, angle into the water, post trauma submersion, etc the body can have multiple issues. Some being pulmonary and cardiac contusions, sub dural hematomas ( blood collecting in the covering of the brain), diaphragmatic rupture, spleenic rupture, pelvic and/or femur fractures, traumatic asphyxiation, brain stem tears/shearing, brain swelling, cervical sublexation or transection, etc.

Generally, these type of injuries and many others can be related to sudden decelleration or coming to a stop right now.

Some if not all can be fatal immediately or can be delayed by a number of hours depending on the severity of the initial impact and time to an ER/OR after the accident.

Given that there is virtually to control to these thing once airborn, best just to watch from a distance and hope for the best.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-28-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Sorry for not including this in the last post, but here is nother reason for delayed death.

In situations of sudden/unexpected death that meet certain physical as well as moral criteria depending on the medical facility, Doctors will delay pronouncing a patient to allow family to gather to say their goodbyes and/or assess for possible organ donation.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-28-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
I just love Google:

"What is the terminal velocity of a human being?

Most people quote 55 m/s (about 125 miles per hour) as the terminal velocity of a parachuter. This is a typical terminal velocity, but there are several factors that can contribute to the terminal velocity of a human.

Terminal velocity is the speed at which a falling object no longer accelerates while falling. As every grade school science student can tell you, all objects fall at the same rate in a vaccum (or more correctly, accelerate at the same rate). However, in an atmosphere, drag comes into play. Falling through air causes drag proportional to the cross sectional area of the object falling. When the drag forces offset the weight of the object (mass times gravitational acceleration), terminal velocity is reached.

A parachuter can spread out their arms and legs to increase drag resulting in the a terminal velocity of about 55 m/s. If the parachuter tucked in his arms and legs and curled up into a ball, then terminal velocity would be much faster. A parachuter wearing special equipment and diving head first or feet first with arms clasped tight against their side, can achieve terminal velocities over 90 m/s (200 miles per hour).

The fastest speed a human has ever attained while free falling was set by Joseph Kittinger, who, in 1960, jumped from over 31,000 m (over 101,000 ft). Because of the rarity of the atmosphere at those elevations, there was almost no drag during the first part of his fall. Kittinger reached a terminal velocity of 274 m/s (over 610 miles per hour) before he began to slow down with the increasing atmosphere."

If I remember my Physics a human reaches TV after about 120 ft. You can jump off the GG bridge at approx 220ft or you can go off a much smaller bridge and as long as it's at least 120ft over the water you'll be just as dead!

(Message edited by richd on June 28, 2006)
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-28-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
My head hurts.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-28-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
Joe Schmoe: "hey Thane you want to go sky diving without a parachute?"

Me: "nah, not really?"

JS: "you want to dive off this 4 story building with me?"

Me: "no, that doesn't sound that fun."

JS: "want me to pull you on the kite tube?"

Me: "no thanks, I choose life."
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-28-2006, 11:27 PM Reply   
My uncle just told me he heard on the news that the tube has been recalled!!! Has anyone else heard about this? I'm trying to find info on Google but can't!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-29-2006, 12:18 AM Reply   
Hardly any good topics on WW lately! Everyone must be out riding...
Old     (CaribbeanKite)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-20-2014, 9:32 PM Reply   
its a sad thing for sure to all those people that died trying this awsome sport. there has been a evolution in the safety systems and the courses given by profesional organizations that most keep growing in orther to prevent most of the accidents in kiteboarding.

our prayiers to all the people and familys that lost someone doing the sport.

www.caribbean-kite.com
http://www.facebook.com/kiteboarding...elcarmenmexico
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-21-2014, 9:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanKite View Post
its a sad thing for sure to all those people that died trying this awsome sport. there has been a evolution in the safety systems and the courses given by profesional organizations that most keep growing in orther to prevent most of the accidents in kiteboarding.

our prayiers to all the people and familys that lost someone doing the sport.

www.caribbean-kite.com

http://www.facebook.com/kiteboarding...elcarmenmexico

Great thread revival. Glad you are getting your links out there. This was about kite tubing, it is not a sport and the product was recalled in 2006.