Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-16-2011, 3:49 PM Reply   
Just testing the waters to see what you guys think.

We have a full machine shop at our dealership and I am going to start building a custom, lifted, smooth on both sides platform for my V232. The platform will be made entirely out of aluminum, probably with 1.5" square tubing for the frame with aluminum sheet welded on both sides - this will keep the cost down and make them very lightweight (versus using sheet aluminum - there is a thread on one like this already). It will be made as small as possible givin the restraints of the current transom brackets, and probably raised 4" with 3x4 square tubing all integrated. I plan on using Hyrdroturf on the top for the mat.

Just brain storming at the moment . . . .

I'm know it will work great, but I was curious if anybody thought there would be a market for them - I won't know much this is going to cost until its done - but for serious surfers it would make a night and day different in the wave - take the platform off your boat and see!

Anyway just seeing what the thoughts are out there
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-16-2011, 4:05 PM Reply   
I dont know if its necessary to lift the deck.
I have a Malibu 23 LSV and when I made a custom teak deck its out of the water at surf speeds
Ask wake 9 if he lifted his alum one? I dont remember.
Here is the size difference between the fiberglass and the re-sized teak. I took what wake 9 did and marked the area on the fiberglass deck and that gave me the shape for the teak
Attached Images

Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-16-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
Nice! That's Awesome!

You would have to take it off to really see if the height affects the wave - also depends on the amount of weight you run. We, like a lot of people, are running the rubrail under or near the water.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2011, 5:55 PM Reply   
Bryan post pics of your wave! I always liked the 23 LSV.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-17-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
Here it is. This is with the 750 in the trunk. We just upgraded to the 1100 this winter an look for the trial run next week when the rain stops.

I think Dave has some better shots and a different angle.
Attached Images

Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-17-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
Even with that small teak platform you can still see it digging in and disrupting the wave quite a bit. I would love to see that with that platform about 4" higher, just to see the difference.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-17-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
Yeah it needs to be either cut down or moved up more. Shouldn't touch the wave at all.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-17-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
Thats the wave with the stock fiberglass deck. The teak deck does not touch the water at surf speed. I will need to dig up a side by side photo for comparison.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-17-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
@ TQ Not sure what you are looking at . The face of that wake looks clean from the spine back. The spine just has normal prop wash, but there is secondary lip caused by the swim platform.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-17-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
Call me crazy, but it sure looks like the platform is knocking the wave down thru here, which causes less power and size throughout???
Attached Images

Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-17-2011, 5:26 PM Reply   
Ok....... I guess I can't see power loss in this picture
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-17-2011, 5:32 PM Reply   
Got anymore wave pics! Post them
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-17-2011, 11:33 PM Reply   
I agree with Bryan....When you cut the platform down almost 8 inches it will be above the hole at surf speeds. This is what I did with my platform and I like that it is still at the water line under normal conditions, ie, no ballast. Sure saves alot of sweat moving it up 4 inches (which may add some safety concerns), IMHO.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-19-2011, 7:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogod77 View Post
Just testing the waters to see what you guys think.
Just brain storming at the moment . . . .

I'm know it will work great, but I was curious if anybody thought there would be a market for them - I won't know much this is going to cost until its done - but for serious surfers it would make a night and day different in the wave - take the platform off your boat and see!

Anyway just seeing what the thoughts are out there
I would guess the market would be very small. I am crazy about surfing but there is know way I would cut my swim deck down that much because my kids and family spend to much time on it. The swim deck on my Avy works just fine (rounded in corners and smooth on the bottom). Also, I have to run below the rub rail to dip the deck in the water anyway.

There will be people that want to do it, but not enough to make it worth your time, IMO.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-19-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
Lakesurfer! Cut down your deck I did it, works great
Attached Images

Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-19-2011, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Lakesurfer! Cut down your deck I did it, works great
I am sure it works great. I am just not willing to trade off the loss of room on the swim deck.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-19-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
I would guess the market would be very small. I am crazy about surfing but there is know way I would cut my swim deck down that much because my kids and family spend to much time on it. The swim deck on my Avy works just fine (rounded in corners and smooth on the bottom). Also, I have to run below the rub rail to dip the deck in the water anyway.

There will be people that want to do it, but not enough to make it worth your time, IMO.

Its going to be more like a hobby - I would just sell for for materials plus $100.00 or something. I think those who really weight their boats will appreciate the difference it makes. Duffy's wave is awesome, but I bet it would get better either without a platform or by raising his teak platform, but the idea is the same.

Just having a smooth bottom makes a difference and every boat that I'm aware of (minus Sanger) has some sort of lip around the edge that disrupts the wave.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-19-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
Just another example - look at our first V226 / then look at the new Surf Edition that James Walker has. The new Surf Series platform is completely smooth on the bottom, smaller, and about 6" higher then the first gen.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-19-2011, 8:58 PM Reply   
Higher isn't necessarily better. We spent a lot of time testing on this with our Ve. The largest factor we found, was SMOOTH on the bottom, which is why we went with a slab of smooth aluminum. There is a point, if you raise the deck, you allow more prop wash out, and it may alter the wake, or throw a rooster in your face on one side or the other.

In our experience, you need it there to block prop wash, so there is a balance, but smoother the better.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-21-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
I cut mine down and then did the wave flap. Works perfectly Might make a hydraulic wave flap. I hang this from my FAE brackets
Attached Images

Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-21-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
Duffy - Very innovative, lets see that attached to the boat. Is it 24" wide?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-21-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
Boat is tucked away in storage. It's wider then 24" The angles and size matches my transom on my avalanche. It's actually a dump truck mud flap with some weight zip tied to the bottom I think if it was hydraulic and stainless it could be the next best thing for wakesurfing. Results are below. Perfectly clean wave on both the goofy and regular side.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-21-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
I like tinkering as much as I like surfing
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-22-2011, 1:05 AM Reply   
Duffy, do you remember what diameter those pipes were as well as how long they were? Did you fill the pipes with shot?
Thanks. Bought the mud flap from Peterbuilt now just need to get the pipes.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-22-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
They are 3/4 and I filled them with random nuts and pieces of metal Pretty ghetto but it works. The zip ties are special high strength ones. Something stainless might work better. I honestly put this on the boat thinking it wouldn't work. When it did I just left it with the original ghetto hardware.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-22-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
Are you using the flap to keep the rooster down? Even without a platform on the boat I don't have really any rooster or spray at all/
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-22-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
My swim deck is very short (the shortest I have ever seen) in length and I also get slight spray from the FAE. This just cleans up the wave. The slight wash or spray is just cosmetic. But I think it looks sweet with none When I run slower I don't get any real spray but when I get up to like 11.5-12.5 etc.. I start to get spray. Below is a picture of what I am talking about. Without the FAE I don't get any. But the FAE adds some spray.
Attached Images

Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-22-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
I could imagine an FAE giving a little rooster, we run about 14 without really any rooster. I can't wait to start this platform and for some warmer weather!!!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-22-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
I love love love the FAE! Can't imagine surfing without it.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-22-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
My boat motor would explode if I was running 14! lol.
Old     (revomaniac)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-06-2011, 8:42 PM Reply   
I have pondered this one as well. Raised platform on my last boat as I did not want to give up valuable real estate. Worked to a degree. I now have a SV240 and have started to make my current fiberglass platform electrically adjustable. This way when at rest I can use the entire platform, family space, then when surfing I can hit a button and raise the platform out of the wake. I am just fabbing new platform brackets out of stainless, welding a hinge at the 90 degree angle on the bracket and installing a set on lenco actuators instead of the gusset. I will wire with a quick disconnect plug on the transome and Voila. Problem solved and I still have all my real estate. Worth a try anyway. Worst case is I install my old brackets.
Sporty
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Duffy, can you post a pick with the mud flap attatched? with the boat out of the water? I would like to see exactly how you attatched this to the FAE. Thanks, and I think I will be cutting down my swimtep also (teak)
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2011, 10:46 AM Reply   
Oh yea, how many inches did you cut off each side? looks like about 6'' off each
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-07-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
Sorry my boat is still tucked away in dry storage. I will have it out sometime around april 1st. I just zip tied the flap directly to the square stainless tube that the Fae is attached too. I did it in the marina with googles on
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Cool, thanks Duffy! Yea april 1st is also my target date. I think I'll be able to figure it out. So it pretty much just hangs down behind the FAE ?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-07-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
Yep it hangs down to the bottom of the transom. So that's how long mine is. It also has the same angles as the transom. I plan on making a stainless steel version with some turn buckles before summer or even a lenco ram.
Old     (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-02-2011, 7:44 PM Reply   
Duffy, if you could post pics I would appreciate it. Trying to get a mental image but it is just not happening for me
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-24-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
Well we finally got it done (about 6 hours before we left for the Supreme Open at Camp Far West) - its works just as I had thought AWESOME! 3K lbs plus people and it just barely touched the water - now I gotta play with weight again to get it even more dialed!
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-25-2011, 9:58 PM Reply   
That's pretty cool, would have loved to have seen it.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-25-2011, 10:39 PM Reply   
I like the one ragboy ^ had on his old Tige. I think that is the best solution I have seen yet. Looks nice, super clean, and effective. Make it smaller maybe, and itd be perfect.

Dont see why you couldnt just offer it to costumers, if they want one, make them one.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-25-2011, 10:45 PM Reply   
We thought about it, and even went to a company that could do it. The thing is, to build one offs, it was very expensive, and I don't think anyone would have paid for it, or just a few, making it not worth it. And to get the price down we had to make like 7 or so at a time, and then we also had to decide which models to make them for, and to measure all of them, etc. In the end, we decided we did not want to be a product company. We have been focusing on ways to make grass roots wake surf events even better, and provide a way to get them paid for. That is why we have been working so hard on the ship to shore and internet broadcast. Now that we have that just about perfected to the point where it works well for grass roots events, we are planning to help deliver that for other wakesurf events, starting with the NorthWest Open.

Anyway, if someone thinks they can sell those, and wants to take a look at ours, I would be happy to share. We want to focus on our site, and the media, and the broadcast.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-26-2011, 6:10 AM Reply   
take a look at this thread one of the crew has come up with a power swim deck that can be raised while underway so you can keep the large swim deck cant wait to see how it turns out http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.p...ble-swim-grid/
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       05-26-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
I made new mounts for my swim platform last year after our July wakesurf camp. We went out one evening after the day session without the platform on and the wake was twice the size. I always suspect the wake would be better but it was rediculously better. I spent the following week designing mounts and raised my deck 8".
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-26-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
Here is my new teak deck for my Tige 24v. I cut off a ton of the old teak! Hope she works
Attached Images

Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-26-2011, 8:32 AM Reply   
That looks good Duffy - its just like what I did, but saved a lot of money - I would have done the same if it had a stock teak platform.

Mine raised the platform up 1.5" (keep the family in the boat happy) and as you can tell by one of the photos cut the edge way down. I actually had people asking about it at the Open, but my cost on materials with the custom mat, powdercoating, and the cost of aluminum was very expensive - too much $$$ for most. Plus I already had the square tubing for the framework and all of the welding was done for me by a friend - most charge $100 per hour to weld aluminum as well as he does. Just the traction mat and powdercoating was $430.00. It cost a lot, but worth the $$ for the difference it made!
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       05-26-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
Nice Duffy,

Hope it works well... I have a Tige 20v and I originally thought about making a deck similar to the shape you have here. Once I took a longer look I realized that I couldn't get my deck much smaller. So I decided that raising it would be my best option. It is a little tougher for the wife and kids to get in the boat with the extra height but they all agree that the improved wave scores more points.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-26-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
Thanks, I tried to match the new RZ2 platform shape. This is as small as it can get and still keep the stock brackets
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-26-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
y, the new RZ2 shape works well, I haven't felt any need to alter.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-26-2011, 1:42 PM Reply   
Do you have a picture of the flap installed under there? Looks like a cool idea.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-26-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
Here is the mud flap installed on my old boat.
Attached Images

Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-26-2011, 3:50 PM Reply   
wheres the chrome girls?
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-26-2011, 7:21 PM Reply   
Frank,this is serious bizness!

Awesome work guys.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-29-2011, 9:28 PM Reply   
check this out now I want one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvxV4...layer_embedded
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2011, 11:56 PM Reply   
That's pretty cool, would love to see how that effects the wake.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-30-2011, 12:33 AM Reply   
yea thats a pretty slick deal for sure!
Old     (badhabit)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-30-2011, 9:27 PM Reply   
That is sick....damn....another project to add to the list.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-31-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
check out centurioncrew.com there is a thread with an adjustable sv23 enzo that now has a swin deck that tilts up to surf. cool vid of it too
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-31-2011, 3:35 PM Reply   
Thats nuts plus did you check out his ballast filling set up for the enzo sac?
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-31-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
So the boat with the hydraulics had the mud flap also, those things really clean things up huh?
I am putting a FAE on my 06 X2 this weekend, wondering if I need to do the custom flap as well.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-01-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
i am curious if the 2 motor/arms that move the platform up and down will get into the wave. just like the fae does when in the water, those 2 motors/bennit arms may dig in when sac'd. i do think its really cool and want to see the results.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-01-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
If you get spray from the fae then the flap helps. Just calms the spray.