Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-22-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
I'm very curious about these devices that automatically reduce your stereo volume when the boat slows down and increase it again when the boat gets up on plane. I know that several of the boat manufacturers have a version of this built into their stereo systems. I'm also aware of at least two aftermarket products that do this as well; Watersport Innovation's Boost Box and HSE's Revolution.

- How many of you use something like this and which one do you use?
- How many of you would use something like this if it was more affordable?
- How many of you don't really care for something like this?

I guess I'm just surprised that more people don't use them. I've just started using the Boost Box and I was surprised at how nice it is to have this feature and I never really thought it would be all that great before I tried it. My Malibu has something built-in that is supposed to behave in a similar fashion, but I've never really been able to get it to work the way I want it to since it doesn't have the adjustability of the Boost Box. Just wondering what boat buyers think about this. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-22-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
I have the HSE revolution. My wife said it best, it's the best addition to the boat since perfect pass. It makes the whole boating experience more enjoyable and much less taxing on the driver. The thing I like best about the HSE is that it is a set it and forget it unit. Once installed it only took me about 15 minutes to set it and I have not changed it in 3 years. More than that I have it programmed to do as I would do if I were driving so I get to listen to my tunes while I am behind the boat. In the past everybody else would get to listen to tunes while riding but my driver's typically did not mess with my fairly complex stereo system while I was boarding so I didn't get music. We feel that it also offers a very significant level of safety. Once you have a stereo system loud enough to overpower the observer's voice it can present a variety of dangerous situations, the automatic sound attenuation offered by these devices removes the majority of the dangers from our loud stereo systems.

Last edited by mikeski; 11-22-2010 at 1:24 PM.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-22-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
Haha, I hear you on the "complicated" stereo. Without the Boost Box, I didn't get any music when my wife drove either. The Wet Sounds WS-420 actually helped out a lot with that as well because it provides a volume knob, which makes turning things down a lot easier if you don't have automatic volume control. I miss knobs!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-22-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
I have the HSE RVC, its a wonderful product from an excellent company. Jim at HSE is a plesure to work with if a problem does arise he's right on top of it throught to completion. His product works perfectly and as Mike said its a set it and forget it item like automatic headlights on your car. I have also use the Car Volume app for the Droid. It works pretty well, nothing like the HSE, but okay.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-22-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
How's your wave?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-22-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
I have the Boost Box. It is one of the best upgrades for safety I think. Out at the Delta It always scared me when I would put someone in the drivers seat to pull me and I would see them looking down and getting the volume turned up and down. Most times I would just not enjoy tunes while riding because of this. Now it's all automatic. I couldn't justify it for the price of the HSE, and I don't like the "hardwire" install of the HSE versus the two wire install of the Boost Box. My only complaint with the Boost Box was it didn't have enough "swing" from high to low volume for the way my system is set up. After contacting Mark, he had me send it in to re-program the exact amount of volume "swing" that I wanted at no extra charge to me. Great customer service from him!
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-22-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
I have the boost box, but am probably going to go with the HSE Revolution as an add for the winter project list for the reason Sparky mentions. The boost box is cheaper and MUCH easier to install, which is why I bought it. It does a great job with throttle up, but is very slow to respond when throttling back to slow down and turn to pick up the rider. This is a big dis-satisfier because boat occupants are expecting the volume to turn down, and it doesnt for another few seconds (I know, doesnt sound like long, but it can be depending on how you throttle down...)

But, I will admit, the addition of volume control is FANTASTIC! It allows the driver to not worry about it and just drive. I can control it easily when Im driving, but if anyone else, who is less accustomed to driving my boat, is driving it usually doesnt happen.

So, I am actually going to spend the extra $$$ to go with the HSE Revolution. I have heard nothing but good things, and since it runs off of engine RPM's should respond quickly...

Last edited by camassanger; 11-22-2010 at 6:08 PM. Reason: clarity
Old     (skylar18)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-22-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
I got the HSE this year. One of the best addiditions to the boat. My wife went from hating my audio system to loving it because she doesn't have to mess with it anymore.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-22-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
In all the videos I've seen of the Boost Box, there's a pretty good delay when coming off the throttle to when the volume comes down to reasonable levels. Seen videos in which the driver backs off the throttle, boat has leveled off , and started the turn to return and the volume just starts to come down. The HSE is instant volume reduction coming off the throttle. That alone justifies the price difference.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-22-2010, 9:42 PM Reply   
I never really noticed it took that long. After I throttle down, let the rollers pass and finish my turn around at idle, it's down and that's going from full volume of 45 to low volume of 10. From what Mark at Boost Box has told me regarding the re-program ability of the unit, I'm wondering if the volume down time can be sped up...

Last edited by wake_upppp; 11-22-2010 at 9:44 PM.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-22-2010, 10:05 PM Reply   
Derek, do yourself a favor before you spend more money and give Mark a call at Boost Box. He will go above and beyond to make sure you are satisfied with his product. I'm hoping he chimes in here and elaborates on the re-programming possibilities...
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-23-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
I have not done this yet because of the money. However, Boost Box prices are getting close. It's appealing because controlling the volume by hand is one more stressor & thing to do while driving. The stereo can be very distracting to the driver. As my kids are fast approaching the point when they will use the boat by themselves, I'd like automatic volume control simply for safety's sake.
Old     (HSE)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-24-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
For people interested in volume controls, they are both in the Toy's for Tot's auctions so now's the time to buy for a good cause...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-24-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
^^^ Good call! We've got six units up for sale in the auctions, so it's definitely the year to get your volume control on!! Thanks to OnlyInboards.com (2), HSE (2) and Boost Box (2) for kicking those in!!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-24-2010, 10:55 PM Reply   
My HSE revolution volume down ramp is about 1 second and up ramp is about 5 seconds. Almost tracks the way I throttle down, or maybe now I am throttling down to match the sound??? I know that Jim really worked on these ramp times and he nailed it. I swear it works better and more consistently than I would do if I had a third hand I could leave on the volume knob. I think I have mine programmed for something like 42db, my early unit had a detented attenuation knob so I know what it is set at. Out of the box it was something like 33 or 36db but like others I needed more ramp (attenuation) than the default.

First time out in my boat newbies see me working the perfect pass, ballast controls, stereo system, and kind of say WTF is all that stuff... After 10-15 minutes they are usually impressed how well it all works together. The speed control is the thing that makes them say "OMG this boat has everything". I know there are newer and tricker boats out there but mine works great and the speed control is like the icing on the cake that puts it over the top.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-25-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
"First time out in my boat newbies see me working the perfect pass, ballast controls, stereo system, and kind of say WTF is all that stuff... " LOL Someone that came out with me recently after watching me set everything up, which only takes a few minutes, said something like "what are we launching the space shuttle?" LOL
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-25-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
I got the HSE for Father's Day year before last. Easily one of the best features on my boat.
Old     (mark)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-28-2010, 9:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by camassanger View Post
I have the boost box, but am probably going to go with the HSE Revolution as an add for the winter project list for the reason Sparky mentions. The boost box is cheaper and MUCH easier to install, which is why I bought it. It does a great job with throttle up, but is very slow to respond when throttling back to slow down and turn to pick up the rider. This is a big dis-satisfier because boat occupants are expecting the volume to turn down, and it doesnt for another few seconds (I know, doesnt sound like long, but it can be depending on how you throttle down...)

But, I will admit, the addition of volume control is FANTASTIC! It allows the driver to not worry about it and just drive. I can control it easily when Im driving, but if anyone else, who is less accustomed to driving my boat, is driving it usually doesnt happen.

So, I am actually going to spend the extra $$$ to go with the HSE Revolution. I have heard nothing but good things, and since it runs off of engine RPM's should respond quickly...
Hey, this is Mark Stiner from Watersport Innovations. We have a new software version for the Boost Box that solves your issue and allows more adjustment from Maximum Boost down to idle-level volume control. A couple of people mentioned this to us and so we made the adjustment. If you mail us your control unit (we don't need any of the cables or connectors) we will re-program it for you and send it back.

It only takes us a couple of days to re-program, and there is no charge. Our address is:

Watersport Innovations
PO Box 772
LaFollette TN 37766

My thanks to WakeWorld for giving us a forum to get valuable customer feedback and to address your concerns.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-28-2010, 10:15 PM Reply   
Mark thanks for checking in and the info. So am I understanding your post right that you have made software changes that allow for more volume up and volume down adjustability as well as the amount of time it takes the unit to make the change from high volume to low and vise versa?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-02-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
It looks like with this version of the Boost Box, after speaking with Mark through email, there is no adjustability option for the amount of time it takes for the volume to transition, only the total amount of volume is adjustable Too bad these two parameters aren't adjustable by the end user. If they were, BB would have the best volume control on the market IMHO

Last edited by wake_upppp; 12-02-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-20-2012, 12:28 PM Reply   
Any updates?