Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-31-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
Ok both me and my dad ride and we finally got my sister up. She can ride for alittle but freaks really easy like when the water gets rough. Me being the nice brother I am lets here have the first run so she can have the good water. Im trying to get her hooked into the sport. Idk if getting her a pink board would help lol or what. Do you ladies have any advice. I try and encourage her as much as i can. I just dont see that drive in her that i see in other people i ride with.
Old     (kitstocks)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-31-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
Is she really into wakeboarding? Most girl love the sport before they get out there and eat she is too scared to wakeboard have you thought about wakesurfing?
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-31-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
she has never hurt herself wakeboarding though so idk. And she isnt the most coordinated girl out there. She seems to really like it when she has friends around and family but when its just three of us she seems to not care. I want to try wakesurfing which i will soon.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-01-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
tow her slow, and teach her how to control the board, and allow her knees to absorb the rough water!!! it will just take time for her to get comfortable enough to start riding more aggressive!!!! she can ride with us?!?!?
Old     (sonironi)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
I'm new to wakeboarding and have a similar prob when the water gets rough. I don't bent my knees enough and allow them to be natural shock absorbers. maybe she feels a little intimidated when it's more 1 on 1 so to speak. maybe she wants to impress her brother, hard to say exactly what exactly a young girl/woman is thinking. the 'social" scene can be good at the same time can distract her from learning. I don't know your methods of teaching, and when it comes to family, sometimes some of us can feel pushed or like we're being told what to do, instead of seeing it as friendly advice. when it's more 1 on 1, maybe let her get the feel of it, get frustrated w/herself, maybe ask if she's ready for you to offer a few tid bits at that time, but also allow her to ask questions. in her own time, if she really wants to wakeboard, she will also ask your advice and opinion. From a girls stand point, she may not want to be "told" what to do. Suggestions are good though. Us females can be a complicated thing
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
let her take it at her own pace!! my boyfriend really tried to push me when i first started rather than letting me get comfortable..she may be uncomfortable around a bunch of people right now..we have some good friends on our lake who would come out with us during the week when the lake wasn't so busy..plus a girl teaching a girl helped me so much! guys just don't understand sometimes why girls can't just get it!! you probably won't see that drive immediately--give her some time! i know when i first started i didn't like taking the first run--that has since changed over time, but again it had to be at my pace..give her lots of encouragement and realize that she just might not be into it as much--right now or ever..i took a whole summer of just getting up and staying right behind the boat getting comfy..the next summer i was edgin out and crossing the wake..this year i'm working on edging stronger and want to jump the wake, but still haven't been able to do it..keep taking her out there, but if she doesn't want to go don't push it!! get her on this site too if she's interested!! we'll pump her up!

ps. a pink board might help!! :-)
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-09-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
I might recommend you getting the video The Book Wakeboarding Chapters 1 and 2....perfect for beginners and gets someone like her familiar with how she can grow and body movements.

THEN, buy her the CHICKFLICK...that will motivate any girl to get out their and ride...

Before and After the movies; if she has a board she is familiar with OR if you have gotten her the pink board...sonironi and farrah have given some good advice. We all started somewhere; I remember it initially took me time to ride with more people in the boat. I felt bad when I would fall and they'd have to come pick me up...between patience and a good crew...that makes all the difference in the world!
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
one other suggestion..ask her if she's really interested in learning--get her a gift certificate for a few lessons..learning from family can be tough!
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
Well we went out this past weekend and I kinda over exaggerated the encouragement. It seemed to help alot I mean she got back in the boat after riding inside the wake and was like how do I turn. (which put a smile on my face) Before the end of the day she was going outside of the wake and coming back in. It was nice to see her excitement as well.