Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-14-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
i've been prospecting possible relocations for a job and it looks like Atlanta could be one of them. anybody know how big the wake community is there? and how accessible riding is?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-14-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
^Its big. There are plenty of lakes to ride. I have heard mentions of a future cable park. I live an hour and a half north of Atlanta, in Chattanooga, but have rode a few times (around Acworth). The buywake guys are big in the scene.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-14-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
ATLWake.com

Some really cool guys in the scene for sure... can be a little cliquey tho from my experience. I think the Knoxville scene is a little more welcoming and has more going on as far as actual riding. My general thought has been that a large portion of ATL riders would rather party than ride... but they def have some shredders tho... Langley, Rhett, Lee brothers, Silvernale, etc... Plus you have the added benefit of having Ambush (buywake) right at your doorstep. Water on Lanier and Allatoona is beat tho... gotta do dawn or dusk patrol to get water.

These are just my opinions... lived in ATL for 15 years give or take but didn't really ride until I moved to Bama. I have lots of friends in the scene up there and this is what I gather from them so take it or leave it.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-14-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
thanks guys. this feedback is really good. yeah everyone community has its fair share of partiers and lifers. here in Louisiana we have a lot of the guys that would rather tailgate at a footballl game on a perfect sunny day. and yeah i did speak with one of the guys from BuyWake about Ambush being there. if i make it out that way i will definitely try to catch up with some of the riders out there. i hope the welcome will be warm
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-15-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
As there is a good bit of a wakeboard scene in and around ATL...about an hr to hr and half south there is a scene on lake oconee and lake sinclair....we ride a lot during summer and have a great time...as Luker said, on those lakes you have to get up early or go late...on oconee there are plenty of coves that are smooth almost all day....just my $.02
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-15-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
what about in kennesaw where the Ambush guys are? are there lakes and rivers near there? i don't want to have to make a far drive to go ride. trying to relocate somewhere thats about 30-40 minutes away from the nearest hot spot
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-15-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
^Yes, it is a few minutes from Acworth (Lake Alatoona) where they hold a PWT stop.
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-16-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
Adam: Atlanta weekday traffic sucks. Consider doing everything you can to be as close to your work location as you can - unless you work from home, and can do that wherever. If you are on the north side of Atlanta and want someplace close to ride, you will likely end up riding at Lanier (largest lake in the state) or Alatoona (where the tour stop is). Echo what the others said about those lakes being rough on nice weekend days - there are about 5 million Atlanta residents, and only two significant lakes within 45-60 minutes. If you expand your drive to 1.5 to 2.5 hours, you get some other options with less population around and on them - Oconee (where we ride) and Sinclair in Georgia to the southeast, Hartwell to the northeast, Lake Martin near Montgomery in Alabama (southwest). There are also some smaller lesser known lakes in that driving distance. Atlanta is a great city, with tons of stuff to do. Unfortunately, it suffers some on the wakeboarding because of the scarcity of nearby lakes.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-16-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
Rob, very well put. so my best option would be to move to live in the north atlanta area, and ride on lanier or alatoona on the weekdays?
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-17-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
yup. I have been on both lakes mid week and mid day, and you can definitely find good water. PM me if you need someone local to talk to as you get more into looking at specific areas.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-17-2010, 11:51 PM Reply   
thanks rob for the input. i will be in touch once i find out more information.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-18-2012, 7:03 PM Reply   
I am moving to Norcross in mid-April, and will be working out of Buford, GA for Singleton Marine Group. would love to meet new riders and get a chance to become involved in the wakeboard community. please hit me up! it will be a slow start, but i am more than willing to make the drive to all of the lakes.
Old     (Brian)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-19-2012, 6:14 AM Reply   
If you are working at SMG, they have a wake team. Chase Andrews rides for them and is one of the owers of Remedy Films. SMG does a 'wet wednesday' during the summer, and they ride all the time.

Ambush is supposed to be purchasing a new Bylery 210, and its suppose to be on Allatoona. Look for those guys to be riding as well. Rhett and those boys kill it.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-19-2012, 6:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If you are working at SMG, they have a wake team. Chase Andrews rides for them and is one of the owers of Remedy Films. SMG does a 'wet wednesday' during the summer, and they ride all the time.

Ambush is supposed to be purchasing a new Bylery 210, and its suppose to be on Allatoona. Look for those guys to be riding as well. Rhett and those boys kill it.
yes, i know the guys at SMG ride on a regular basis. i did however, want to take it upon my own initiative to meet other riders in the area as well. i didn't really have a set crew of people i rode with so i always enjoyed meeting new riders and riding behind different wakes. i am very excited about this opportunity. i will also have a chance to continue working for Red Bull, but part-time. i do event logistics for them here in Baton Rouge.