Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-12-2007, 12:04 AM Reply   
Ok I picked up 4 US-2200's for my new setup. I had planned on running them on position 2 of a selector switch. Come to find out it's no longer a simple Perco setup like my '04 and now they have gone with Blue Sea Systems dual circuit switch. Thus the only settings are OFF, ON, and Combine. Anyhow since these batteries are only going to be used to power my Subs and Tower speakers (the Amps) can anyone tell me why I shouldn't just leave them totally independent of the stock electrical system? I never planned on charging them with the boats' alternator to begin with. Also I know how to get my 12V circuit, but how would I wire them together to go to my power distribution block? Thanks, Matt
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-12-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
How many RMS is your system?

you could just leave it totally separate, but a new batttery switch shoudl only be $40.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-12-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
On those batteries 2600w RMS. Again though I don't want to put the boat alt. through that strain. I bought 4 thinking they would more than last me through a normal day.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-12-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
come on Battery Gurus.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-12-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
Just run the system off the batteries and use a combiner to charge them, do a search for Yandina C150 (or west marine).
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
Mike, is there any reason you went with the Yandina over the Hellroaring?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-12-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
Yes, I believe the Hellroaring does not keep the voltage as high. The RV guys are really up on this stuff and they recommended the Yandina over the Hellroaring. Calling Rod, Calling Rod Mcginnis... he is the resident battery system guru
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-15-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
I don't have personal experience with either one, but based on the web pages I would select the Hellroaring over the Yandina primarialy because it consumes less when it is combining the batteries. We are only talking about a 1/4 amp for the Yandina but I like to trickle charge with a solar panel and that would consume my entire panel.

Either one should be fine for Matt's application. I would say that he needs one, for sure. I doubt that he will get adequate play time off the batteries without supplementing with the alternator. Deeply discharging the batteries on a regular basis will not be good for them.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-15-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Matt, I have roughly the same size RMS wattage as you , I'm running trojan t-105's just thru a perko switch. My routine is very simple. My selector switch stays in off while my boat is being stored and switched to position one 99% of the other time. my #2 battery is only for emergencies. While in storage my batteries are on battery tenders. My upgraded 90 amp alt barely keeps up with my demands.....but I've had an alt go out on me in the water and my batteries allowed me to stay out the rest of the day...with the stereo at low volumes. I live out on Lake Houston if your ever in the area. I do trailer to Conroe every now and again (fiance's parents live out there)
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-17-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
4 US 2200's will last a long time. I know that doesn't help much but it really depends a lot on the efficiency of your amps. Typically, the older amps will consume ALOT more battery power. Newer amps like the class d for your subs do not use as much because they are more efficient. I am using two of the US 2200's on 2400 watts, they are supplemented by the alternator (also 90 amps) and will keep fully up with up the power demand and not pull the batteries down. I am using all hifonic amps. (new ones that are made in china--lol) I use my second battery set up as a start only battery- it has nothing connected to it but the starter and the perko switch. The newer blue sea systems are combiners.

The US 2200 batteries are made for being run down and deep cycling as the primary application is for golf carts. They are almost exact in specs to the batteries Adam is using the T 105's. I too am out on Conroe frequently.