Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
What have you come up with to allow your dog on your boat without cutting up the vinyl? Any ideas? My husband would like to take our dogs with us but im too paranoid that they are going to wreck the vinyl.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-21-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
You will!!!! they can destroy it unless you clip and file there nails SMOOTH. I personally dont let mine in the boat anymore.
JJ
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
I was hoping that someone found some neoprene dog booties or something like that. Im sure the booties would bug them but...
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-21-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
I personally dont take my dogs (they are way too spastic)but I let a friend on our boat with his dog. The dog was very mellow and just hung-out. No damage done by days end, except for hitting the interior with a vacuum. It really depends on the dog in my mind.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-21-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Paola-they do make lil booties for dogs but your probably right... watching your dog trying to tear them off all day long might be entertaining however.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
I take my dog on bike rides every week or so, She actually pulls me around the neighborhood. She absolutley loves to do this, the bonuses are she gets rid of some stored up energy and her nails get filed down naturally. I have NEVER had a problem with her nails tearing/cutting up the vinyl. The only problem is that she is a white dog and i have grey carpet... i have to vacuum up after her. I do agree with the dogs demeanor... they can't be too spastic. The only other thing i can think of is "wet dog smell" and claws on your legs. I think Dogs and boats go together if you are a mindful Master.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-21-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
I do not let our Golden in our boat anymore. When someone is boarding or skiing she moves back and forth on the rear seat, just too painful for me to watch. They do make dog booties, mainly for hunting, but it takes a dog while to get to used to them. The other thing if do the booties it too test your dog swimming with them on, befroe they wear them in the boat. Then you would be sure that they can swim with them, before an accident or emergency might occur. My thoughts anyway!

DG
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-21-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
My dog goes on my boat every trip for 6 years. So far, no damage from the dog (just the humans). I also trim his nails with a dremel a few days before every boat outing too.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
I bring my boxer on teh baot from time to time. He usually just lays on people. the dog hair is the only issue. His nails stay pretty trim from running on concrete with me. people have done more damage to my boat that my dog, lol.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-21-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
I"m with you guys... I never bring my dog on my boat!!

Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
Ronia, I have a brindle and getting one of his puppies in a week (all white)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-21-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
Boxers are the best!!!
Old    mtnali            07-21-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
Yeah, our dogs hate being on the boat

Upload

No serious damage done yet, our male is a spaz too. There are a few more holes in the upholesery than the boat came with. We also have a HUGE towel that we bought at target, it covers the whole sundeck. Of course, it doesn't leave room for anyone else. :-)
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
Muttluks work fairly well. They are made in canada, invented mainly for cold weather, but used them on my labs a bit. Each boat manufacturer has somewhat different upholstery, so some hold up to dog claws a bit better. It was a factor when I switched to malibu- it has tough seats!
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-21-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
adam
Whats HE drinking
love the pict
JJ
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-22-2006, 5:27 AM Reply   
Im hesitant about allowing my dogs in the boat but sometimes the boss(wife) would rather take the dogs to the lake than me.

Upload
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-22-2006, 5:32 AM Reply   
I have had at least one dog on my boat everyday, all day, for the past 10 years, and have never had one scratch or hole in the upholstery. My nemesis is students with metal fins. I get at least 1 or 2 big scratches and pin holes a year.
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
We allow one of dogs on our MC, no damage yet, but keep the nails trimmed for sure
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-22-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Thank you all for your posts. Seems like the consensus is a dog with trim nails should be good. My hubbie will be a very happy boater knowing that I will now be open to bringing the dogs. :-) I guess it's worth a try and if they mess it up, we'll repair it and then we know if our boat's vinyl can take it.
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
Don't leave your pups behind, just clip their claws, use a dremmel tool to smooth out the edges and keep a towel on the gunnel when they jump in = happy day!
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
Don't leave your pups behind, just clip their claws, use a dremmel tool to smooth out the edges and keep a towel on the gunnel when they jump in = happy day.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-22-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Lifejackets for a dog? Explain that one to me. Do they wakeboard or something?
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2006, 5:20 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-22-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Paul,
My male dog as a problem with chasing anything that will run from him. Sometimes he will swim so far that he will get tired and struggle getting back to the boat. My female is just to dang uncoordinated to swim well. Better to be safe than sorry. Our dogs are our children so we are very over-protective.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-22-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
I put a vest on me and my dog when we go for a long swim down the bay and back. I wear a vest so I can swim it at an easy pace and I put a vest on my dog so he can cruise high speeds and not get overly tired. Its all good. JoJo, my dog has the same ruffwear vest -- its a damn good vest.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-22-2006, 11:35 PM Reply   
Here's a little somewhat related tip...

To get the dog back in the boat just let him swim up to the swim deck, put his front paws up on it then push his head forward and down, it will shift his center of gravity allowing him to lift his back feet up on the deck. We learned this from a few hunters at the duck pond to get our retrievers back into the aluminum dog boat.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-23-2006, 12:04 AM Reply   
As long as the dog is not too hyper and the nails are trimmed, I do not have any problems with the vinyl.

Upload

Here is my buddy on the new boat.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       07-23-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Walk the beast on asphalt or concrete every so often to dull the nails and its not a problem. I admit I have had a couple of small punctures but its been times I didnt check her nails or let her on during a hyper moment. When we got ours as a puppy I kept my fingers crossed she would like the boat and it paid off. Just feels right having a dog hanging out
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       07-24-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
We usually have 2 on the boat...Jack is my lab mix. His cousin Halo is purebred dalmatian.

Jack
Upload

One benefit is he ensures every last drop comes out of each bottle to limit spills on the boat!
Upload

The one downside to the dogs on the boat/lake all day is fighting for couch space that night.
Upload
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-24-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
Shane,
DO you have any problems with your bulldog out on the water? I have always wanted to take mine, but I always thought it would be to hot for him. He is scared to death of the water since he sinks like a brick.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-24-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Shamless plug... but I can't resist.

Protect your seats with Primal Seat COvers!

www.primalmp.com
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-24-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
paul, that is the first and only time she has been on the boat. She can't swim, tried once, not good, and gets very hot easily. As you can see in the pic, late in the evening, temp low 80's. Next dog around, something more tolerant to heat, and that can swim. Still it's hard to give up the bull dog personality
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-24-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
LoL, thats kinda what I thought. I couldn't agree more on the personality.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-24-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
Here are some dog boots for you
http://www.ruffwear.com/3D-Barkn-Boots-trade?sc=2&category=11
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-24-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
we tried these... didnt work ... kept falling off
Upload

she's so wore out we just keep her on towels
Upload
Old     (chad52)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
My 90 lb Golden, Chewy, is a spastic as they get when you get the tennis ball out. He has been going out on the boat with me since I got him in 98 and I have never had any issues with tears in the vinyl due to him. People with boards and fins are the real issues.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-25-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
Took my shelty out with me once but the dogs hair got stuck in the carpet really bad. Any of you have the same problem?

Thanks for the clarification on the dog jackets. I've never seen that before. Just figured that every dog would know it's own limits but I guess not.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-25-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
We have problems with hair getting all over the place as well. Luckily we have snap in carpet so we just pull it out and pressure wash it. Give the rest of the interior a good wipe down.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       07-25-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
Paul, People don't even know there own limits, how could a dog? LOL

I havn't tried, don't have a dog, but I'll remember this thread in a year or two. Can't even take care of myself yet.
Old     (travisfling)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-27-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
For those who want a good water dog, and love the bulldog personality - Get an American Bulldog. I've got a 2.5 year old, and she loves every boat she's been on (wakeboard, pontoon, bassboat, etc.) and she definately loves the water...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-27-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
My Viszla is great on the boat. Loves to swim a little too much maybe.

He's a short hair too, so he doesn't leave much hair behind, and it's not too bad when he shakes.

Upload
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-27-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
we take Raley out as much as possible. she is still young, and a spaz, so we need to keep her leashed while we are riding. afterwards though, she usually just chills on the swimstep, trying to figure out why she cant walk on water. she has learned the hard way a couple of times. I have not had any punctures yet, but I dont have a big v-drive either.
**begin hijack**
how is your pup doing Paul (psudy)?
**end hijack**
Upload
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-27-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
Shasta, 13 months and just figured out how to swim.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-27-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
oops forgot the picture
oops forgot the picture
Upload
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-27-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
nice looking dog faceplanter! long lost relative of Raley perhaps...
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
My dog is great on a boat is right along the same line as a newbie coming out and pronouncing they've been on or around boats all their life.

Both of those statements always send chills down my spine.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-28-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
Cliff-Every taken the pig out on the boat?