Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-28-2015, 10:32 AM Reply   
I know most of us are into multiple hobbies, just curious if there are any homebrewers on here?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       04-28-2015, 12:32 PM Reply   
yup! went to kegging about 2 years ago. WAY easier than bottling. Got a sweet mead, american ale and a IPA type brew I need to rack into kegs. whats your flavor?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-28-2015, 1:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
yup! went to kegging about 2 years ago. WAY easier than bottling. Got a sweet mead, american ale and a IPA type brew I need to rack into kegs. whats your flavor?
Been brewing for a long time, I brew up int to the 20+ gallon range. I usually stick to basic styles, mostly pales and lagers, just because brewing that much of a specialty get old. My next batches are coming up for a housboat bachelor party in 8 weeks. 15 gallon blonde, 15 gallon hellas, and 15 session ipa
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       04-28-2015, 1:37 PM Reply   
Nice! I'd like to step up my batches but that means basically starting over in the equipment dept. Yea, the seasonals and specialty beers get old pretty quick.

Do you have a natural lager spot or did you build something? I was going to convert a freezer to a lager box, but don't do enough of them to justify it at this point.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-28-2015, 1:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Nice! I'd like to step up my batches but that means basically starting over in the equipment dept. Yea, the seasonals and specialty beers get old pretty quick.

Do you have a natural lager spot or did you build something? I was going to convert a freezer to a lager box, but don't do enough of them to justify it at this point.
What about keggles? cheap and great for larger batches. I went from 8 gallons to keggles to 26 gallon tanks, i know exactly what you mean about starting over in the equipment department. I dont think its worth it.

I have a stand up glass door fridge in my garage with a controller on in. But I agree, its hard to have a designated fridge just for lagers. Ales sure, but lagers take 6 months

If you did convert a freezer, you could use it as a kegorator too?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       04-28-2015, 2:01 PM Reply   
I converted a freezer. But I usually have one or two on tap so I can't just crank the temp up and use it. It was cheap enough though, may have to build another

Keggles would work great. But I recently brewed with a guy who either bought or built a fairly automated setup. Now all I can think about is thermostats and water pumps
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-28-2015, 2:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
I converted a freezer. But I usually have one or two on tap so I can't just crank the temp up and use it. It was cheap enough though, may have to build another

Keggles would work great. But I recently brewed with a guy who either bought or built a fairly automated setup. Now all I can think about is thermostats and water pumps
Im sure you find that the beer goes extremely fast, thats why I bumped up my capacity.

Yeah pumps help a lot. Sure you can brew basic stuff on the stove, but the real magic happens with temp control.

I broke down two years ago, started building and now im fully automated.. its a sickness for sure.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       04-28-2015, 2:53 PM Reply   
wha?? post some pics of your rig. did you model it after a system or customize it? I'm honestly surprised you can't find ready to brew systems for sale, but I guess the market isn't quite there yet.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-28-2015, 3:55 PM Reply   
I built this one from scratch, took almost 2 years to complete, even with all the parts in hand.

you should check out morebeer.com thy have rigs you can purchase. $$$

My ugly mug and an article of my rig http://issuu.com/eeweb/docs/08-2014_...607911/9085689

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       04-28-2015, 4:25 PM Reply   
B a d a s s !!!
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-28-2015, 5:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
B a d a s s !!!
thanks man! Sadly I probably tinker more then I brew
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       04-29-2015, 2:09 PM Reply   
So those are 26 gal? Such capacity!! I'm going to start with a temp controlled brew kettle and build out from there.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-30-2015, 12:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
So those are 26 gal? Such capacity!! I'm going to start with a temp controlled brew kettle and build out from there.
yes these are 26 gallon kettles. Its good to have a large capacity, but then again small batches don't exist anymore.

I think you will be really happy with temp control, id go with a basic PID controller
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       04-30-2015, 12:28 PM Reply   
ok this is the part where it starts to feel like i'm reading Chinese.

googled a bit and found this: http://www.omega.com/googlebase/prod...6JsRoCyxzw_wcB

what connects this to an element?
I have to add a temp sensor to this too right?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       04-30-2015, 1:09 PM Reply   
I've got lots of reading to do. I did find this more inclusive unit. looks like I just need to add an element
http://www.thermomart.com/beer-makin...brewing%20-kit
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-04-2015, 7:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
I've got lots of reading to do. I did find this more inclusive unit. looks like I just need to add an element
http://www.thermomart.com/beer-makin...brewing%20-kit
Ill try to explain how the PID works. Think of a PID as a thermostat, you have a desired set point, When the tempurature exceeds your desired set point it stays off, when it goes below the set point it sends a signal to turn something on (in your home for example that would be your AC unit, or heater). The PID is a little more compicated, because you can set ranges of temps, delayed starts, etc. (really thats all you need to know)

Now lets talk about the relay. it is like a remote light switch, it receives a signal and completes a circuit.

Let put the whole thing together: You have tempurature probe, PID, Relay, Heating Element. You set the PID, to your desiered temp. The pid receives the temp from the probe. When it goes below the set point temp it sends a 12v signal to the relay, the relay turns on and completes the circuit to the heating element and the element heats up the liquid to the set point. Turns off when it hits the set point.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-04-2015, 8:01 AM Reply   
Id go with the Kit you showed, it looks pretty good. Also you will need a switch or two, one betweed the power of the system and one between the element and the relay. If you havnt already check out Homebrewtalk.com
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       05-05-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
Michael, Thanks for your patient replies. I'm sure the last thing you wanted out of this thread was to explain how to build a system. I've been reading in homebrewtalk.com, specifically automated brewing section. I just need to call brewhardware and let them connect a few dots.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2015, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Michael, Thanks for your patient replies. I'm sure the last thing you wanted out of this thread was to explain how to build a system. I've been reading in homebrewtalk.com, specifically automated brewing section. I just need to call brewhardware and let them connect a few dots.
Are you kidding, I live for this stuff. If you have any questions, ask away Check out http://www.ebrewsupply.com/ too.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:36 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2019 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us