Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    ScottRobinson            07-28-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
Well I am 35 and I spend alot of time here. I thought I had to share since I was sitting in my office still thinking about last night.

Been out alot this summer trying like hell to get accross the wake. Been at 70' and just couldn't get it. So my 8 year old threw her skiis on before I got to take a set and she wanted the rope shorter. So not thinking just threw it at 65 and went. She had a blast, then I jump back and throw on my board, wife jumps in seat we set the computer and I jump in. (forgetting to change the rope back to 70')

Get out there and start my routine of trying to get over. First one I land middle of board on lip and thought....whoa...... I got this tonight.... Then try second time....land over....Was awesome. Now I know it was short at 65' but I was sooooo happy. Was a bit bummed getting into the boat and seeing my rope hanging there short but thought heck with it...that is where I am riding for a while cuz that was FUN! Just thought I would share the stoke.

Wife was yelling, have 4 kids under 8 years old all yelling at ole Dad cuz my smile was most likely just plastered on my face. Was the perfect night! Dad got accross, 8 year old got to surf and ski and my 6 year old he jumped off a cliff (which for him is HUGE!!) Just had one of those nights to remember with the family. Can't wait to go back out!

Would love to hear stories of yours on anything your stoked about. Right now I am smiling still from ear to ear on the jumps and the night as a whole!

Take Care Ride Safe!
Scott
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
SCOTT 65' is not short rope[maybe for a pro] even some jr mens riders ride at 65' . i plan on riding at 65' in a competition saturday at my local lake.it will be my 1st . can i clear the wake at 85' yes but its alot of work. at my age less is more . so don,t worry about rope length just build confidence and have fun.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
Congrats, nothing wrong with riding a short rope to learn. That is how you should be practicing. Now get those toeside W2W's dialed. Once you get comfortable, add some speed, lengthen the rope, and start adding some ballast.

I still wakeskate on a super short rope, maybe 50-55', when I want to work on my W2W tricks, its lots of fun.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Congragulations. depending on the boat and speed 65 isn't short. From here you'll get better and better, sooner or later you'll be landing in the flats at 80'
Old    ScottRobinson            07-28-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
Yeah I was at 20.9 mph ...on the slower side I know but I ride behind a 2011 Epic 23V so the wake itself is a bit scary for a newbie. Boat is awesome tho..!!
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-28-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
AWESOME!
Did Austin jump off the same cliff we did? That thing was alot higher than it looked from a distance!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
That's not that slow. We ride between 21 and 22 behind our VTX at about 75'. Once again speed is all relative to the boat also. Behind my friends 04 tige 24v I ride between 24 and 25 at 70'. Do you have the ballast full?
Old    ScottRobinson            07-28-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
No, we found another rope swing and more cliffs on the other end of the lake. Crazy going there for 2 years and never found it before. Perfect height for them. About 10' up. He did it at 6 years old. Dad was proud! Of course Lexy was nuts on the rope swing. 8 years old and fearless! Love that about her.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-28-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
DC can vouch for the boat, as he was with me for a week. He can do 3s inverts and even a 5 now and again and the stock ballast is plenty to boot you. He rode the thing full 4000# and said and I quote "I don't get intimidated usually wakeboarding, but damn that thing is huge" so no I don't ride with it full. I ride it almost stock. 1/4 in front and 1/4 in port to offset the prop spin. It is big though.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
Really you should ride empty till you get your basics down and can clear without it, especially if it intimidates you. Once you have your form down then not only will you be able to rock the ballast, but it also won't seem so intimidating.
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-28-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
This is just another take on rope length that I have never seen mentioned....Besides speed and width of the boat/wake per boat model, it seems like the positon of the tower and length of the boat can make a difference of several feet or more. I noticed this with some of the new towers that seem to have the connection a good ways behind the driver. That is a tower postioned farther back may make a 65' length equivalent to a 70' length of a more forward tower, and/or a longer boat (more length from the transom to the tower) would effectively shorten the rope length - assuming all else is equal.

Long story short, it seems like (as has been said above) rope length is not a bg deal, it is all relative, ride what you like and don't let other try to intimidate you by suggesting that one is better or worse.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-28-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Congrats man!
Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-28-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
Awesome Scott. Just living the dream man. I ride 65' all day. Can't wait to charge that wake if you'll give me a shot.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-28-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Congrats man!I didnt start riding until I was 37and I was the king at 55ft . It was all about getting the feel of it and then lengthen the rope. 65 is legit for sure in my eyes. Keep hitting it and having fun.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-28-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Yeah, that thing is really nice stock, and absolutely unreal full. I'd have ridden it longer full, but my knees were going to go on strike! And you're right, that's pretty much exactly what I said. Thing was huge and really vert.
I bet Lexy went nuts with the lower rope, I bet that was a ton of fun.
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-29-2010, 3:27 AM Reply   
Nice work Scott!