Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-17-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
I went from an F-150 to a diesel Excursion. I can say I really love this truck! We have one child and planning another towards the end of the year so it was a great move. I'm getting about 3 MPG more with the move to the new vehicle. I'm putting a bigger exhaust and chip for the Excursion so I should see some improvement beyond the 3 MPG I'm getting now. If anyone else has recently gotten a new ride post your pics with your boat.

Upload
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-17-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
Love the new truck but you better do some research on the internet about chipping the motor. What it comes down to is leave it stock you wont have any problems, chip it have lots of problems. Also if you chip it and need warranty work done on the motor you might get stuck with the bill.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-17-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Ken, you'll love having a diesel. I'll never own another gas-powered truck after buying my F-350. If you're interested about add-ons, check out http://www.thedieselstop.com, they have info on all the HD Ford trucks and motors. Hope this helps. Oh, and here's a pic of my diesel and recently sold boat.
Upload
Old     (planetnautique)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-17-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
I have a 2005 PSD Excursion too. We love it. It tows well, and there is room for everyone in there. I agree that you probably shouldn't chip it. There have been tons of issues with the 6.0 when chipped.

You might want to look into the Firestone airbags for the rear, since it looks like yours is sagging a little with the boat hooked up.

(Message edited by planetnautique on July 17, 2007)
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-17-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
ahh 2 kids in the big excursion, how lucky...
Old    malibu_nut            07-17-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
the 6.0 is a great motor when properly tuned. people buy off the shelf "chips" and do damage to the motor and trans. with a custom tuned motor and trans you will see vast improvements. there are prople that make a living tuning just 6.0s. check out a few of these links for truly custom tuning.
http://www.dj-performance.com/
www.gogodiesel.com
www.sctflash.com
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
If you don't mind me asking, what year is your excursion?
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-17-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
It's an 04, I live in Oklahoma and with the oil market doing well they are HARD to come by with low miles. I had to pick mine up in Alabama and have it shipped. Stole it BTW from the orginial owner for $26,500. It's got 50k miles. He was a wealthy guy that used it for towing his BMW that he showed (silly if you ask me BUT he probably thinks the same about us..)

Jeff, it's not just the boat it was LOADED down in the back for five days (4th of July). Boat had three loaded ice chests and enough food between the two for 19 people!

WOW on the Chips...I'm just going with the SCT with three settings towing, economy, and sport. I'm not going crazy I promise!!! I've got a friend using one for two years without any issues. It's not a rice burner tweak all kinds of air flow and such.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Hmmm.. I'd be very interested in finding a diesel Excursion for around that price. I've been eyeing them for quite some time. Using an Expedition with the 5.4 right now and mileage is around 10 or so when pulling the boat. I'd love to be in the 15 or so range. Anyone have one they want to unload?
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-17-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
If your going to chip it go the dealer and buy one that they will warranty. If you buy one that isn't covered buy the dealer and you have problems don't be surprised if your warranty claim is rejected.

One of the main things that happens is the head bolts stretch.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-17-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
Shawn, they are going for over 30k around here in the range I was looking 04/05 limited with 50k or less miles. I'm really surprised you're getting that good gas. I had an 05 Supercrew F-150 with 5.4 V8 stock and got 7 MPG pulling my 24' Pro-V. BTW, it's for sale if anyones interested 25k miles asking 19,500.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
I'll be doubling checking this weekend as I have a 200 mile trip to make with the boat. Around town here it's been 9 to 10 though, but my launch is only 5 miles away so it's hard to get a good reading. I'd say my boat is probably a bit lighter than yours, but I would also say the Expedition is heavier so we'll see.
Old     (mikerod29)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-17-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
I get 10mpg solid with my 99 f-150, it all depends on how you drive and the gearing you have, mine are 3.73 so it sucks a little when you don't pull a trailer, but rocks when you do!
Old     (lowdrag)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-17-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
What Kasey said. If you plan on chipping, go with the SCT Xcal2 and have DJ make you some custom tunes. Before doing that though you should really think about installing a full set of gauges. A good turbo back exhaust will help keep the egt's down as well.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
Picked up a new Dodge 3500 diesel a few weeks back myself.

Upload
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2007, 11:27 PM Reply   
Congrats. A few weeks ago we got a new Denali. It has a 6.2L with 6spd trans. Haven't towed with it yet.

Upload
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-18-2007, 4:33 AM Reply   
Congrats Ken. Welcome to the Diesel club. I just signed up in March and wow what a difference!!! Will never buy another gas guzzling well... gasser to tow. Put a chip on that baby and wake er up. Everyone is sayin what 'IF' you have warranty etc... well thats 'IF' you have a problem and frankly 'IF' your not here the next day you prolly wished you had the chip on there. You only live once so have some fun with it. Heres a pic of my rig.
Upload
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-18-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
what kind of mileage are you seeing with the stock disel excursion ? towing and non towing ? thanks !!!
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-18-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
I have a 2006 F-250 with the 6.0 in it. It has 15k miles on it and i average about 15-17 mpg in it. I have seen it get 19 before without towing. When i hook the boat up i get around 13-14 in it. I like the way it pulls and i like being able to put the cruise control on 65 with no worries. I traded my 03 F-150 in for it and i love it
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-18-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Cadddy, I get about 9-10 MPG towing and 13-16 not. I check my towing mileage by filling up with the boat attached and then filling up again with it still attached. This is driving on the hwy at 70-75 and then all the slower speeds around the lake on average. I have an Excursion with 20s and all terrain Perrelli's so that doesn't help since they catch wind and are knobby. A truck will get better because it's lighter (I would think). Mine's all stock until I get my turbo back exhaust put on Friday and chip it this weekend. I'll report back over the next week or two and report the news.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-18-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
ken,

please let me know... i am looking at a used ford excursion or a new jeep diesel cherokee...

btw, congrats on the new ride !!! U got a smokin deal !!!
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-18-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
04 ford f250 with the 6.0 diesel pulls the boat like no other. I picked it up for 28,200 with 30k on it.

Upload