Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (racing4funn)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-27-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
I got these silicone putty ear plugs but they won't change shape and they aren't soft enough to work.. I don't want to stop riding.. its only a small hole but it has to stay dry and yes I did it on the lake..

anyone have any ideasan
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-27-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
Go to a ENT and get some custom earplugs made. Only about $80.
Or you can get some docs pro plugs. You can order them online or call and ENT's office or a Hearing center and see if they have them in stock.
Old     (darv)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-27-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
Rode with my pro plugs the first time yesterday. I loved them! I could even hear the music with them in.
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-27-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
Wait for it to heal. Missing a little bit of riding nothing compared to possibly being deaf in that ear for life.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-27-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
I didn't wait for mine to heal and i ended up with a serious infection and was out for a month and almost lost the hearing in my right ear, which still drains cerumen two years later...WAIT
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-27-2007, 5:04 PM Reply   
You can try the earplugs for airplaines. I think they are called earplanes. They are really cheap and won't fall out or get jammed further into your ear. Don't use cotton.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       05-27-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
Plug them as good as you can and then drop some hydrogen peroxide in after you ride. Don't use alcohol drops - it'll hurt like hell if it gets behind your ear drum. The peroxide even hurts a little bit, and feels really weird when it starts foaming in your ear, but it will prevent the infection. I used peroxide and plugs when I perf'd my eardrum earlier this year and had on problem with infection. Took about a month ot heal up. Also, when the hole starts to close, be careful about things like sneezing or blowing your nose, as that kind of thing can reopen the hole. You'll be able to tell when it is getting close to closing up.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-27-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
I lost 1/3 of my hearing in my left ear, from a blown ear drum. Wait until it is healed before riding again.
Old     (power_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
DO NOT RIDE. IT IS NOT WORTH THE INFECTION. I busted mine crashing on my board and got water in it and I was infected for weeks and the pain is killer. My eardrum actaully healed but, the infection was still there. So, DO NOT RIDE!!!!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-28-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
"which still drains cerumen"

YUK, That sounds pretty gross! (what the hell is it?)
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-28-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
Jud,
Don't be a dumb@ss, two weeks of not riding will mean nothing in the grand scheme of your life. Take care of your hearing.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-28-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
its earwax
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
gonna agree with everyone else! I blew mine last year not worth the potential permanent damage. WAIT FOR IT TO HEAL!!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-28-2007, 9:22 PM Reply   
I blew my eardrum out two years ago and this is what I did so I could keep ridding. Ear wax insert and a swim cap along with a helmet with ear covers. I looked pretty stupid, but who cares I still got to ride.

My balance was off, but at least I was on the water. I blew my ear out wakeboarding right before a huge family camping trip.
Old     (racing4funn)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-29-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
Well I have a follow up apt in two weeks.. I will wait and maybe get good news in a few weeks. Years ago I blew the other one suba diving and I had to keep it dry for 3 months. I thought that was a normal amount of time and thats why I didnt want to wait.. I dont want to lose my whole summer
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-29-2007, 10:21 PM Reply   
Dan----bad advice---
DON'T PUT HYDROGEN PEROXIDE IN YOUR EAR!!!

Nothing should go in your ear except antibiotic ear drops when you have a hole in your eardrum. I had 3 sets of tubes in my ears over a 2 year period and didn't miss 1 day of riding. Try different types of plugs until you find one you like. If you choose to not ride, that's ok, but you don't have to. Only once in 2 years did the plugs come out while riding and I just put antibiotic drops in. It is do-able.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-29-2007, 11:46 PM Reply   
Don't ride until it heals, usually takes mine 4-6 weeks, and wear a helmet so it never happens again. I popped mine 3 consecutive summers before I learned a helmet is as important as a life jacket if you want to ride all summer.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-30-2007, 5:26 AM Reply   
I've blown mine three different times, if it leads to an infection you'll get seriously ill very quickly. I would wait.
Old     (metz213)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-30-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
I went to the doc today and found out that I had a hole in my eardrum. He gave me some ear drops for it and I also got some ear plugs from the store. I got to go back in 2 weeks...Think I can ride or not?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-30-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
Yes...ride. Just wear the plugs.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-30-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
Lol Rich, yeah cerumen is ear wax. Just finished up my first year of med school and i find myself inadvertantly using the terminology. I am now a wakeboard nerd BUT when i blew it and it got infected, my girlfriend wouldn't sleep in the bed with me because it drained so much, oh college and dorm beds, haha
Old     (metz213)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-31-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
Anymore input on this? Im just concerned about the plugs falling out or water getting in.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Well you saw how I got flamed for suggesting that it was okay to ride at all. That said, when I did ride with my perf'd eardrum, I rode with plugs, but I still got some water in there and it clearly got behind the eardrum. I used peroxide, but you have better antibiotic drops... Anyway, in my case, I made sure to get some drops in my ear asap after getting home from the lake. I pulled my earlobe to help open up the hole in the eardrum and let the drops through. I never got an infection and my eardrum was healed in just under a month. I have no perceptible loss of hearing, either. YMMV