Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
Project Mayhem is nearly completed. My mechanic, as sane as Tyler Durden, states it'll be in the water in a few weeks. Any thoughts on a swim deck? I'm planning on not putting a deck on at this point, as all the designs seem to just get in the way. Here are a few more shots of the boat, and last years wake which we should surpass by several feet. Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-27-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Give us a straight on picture of the wake...all those pictures from the swim deck looking up are just bogus to me. It's not the usual field of reference so it makes something look bigger and/or smaller than it actually is.

I'm looking foward to the launch of the final project.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
Not too many straight on shots. Gotta old one which shows how long it can get. W/o a swim deck all the upcoming shots will be straight on!Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-27-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Holy hell thats huge it looks shoulder high too from your profile pic.
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
that would eat me alive
Old    surfdad            08-27-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, the last pic is sweet. In my book, skip all the artistic license and let me see the wake, man! What was the speed on that last pic?
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2006, 10:11 PM Reply   
that is sick. your wake is huge. i wanna see a pic of that boat.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-28-2006, 2:20 AM Reply   
whoa this is exciting!
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
Jeff: Not sure of the exact speed. This photo was taken two years ago before we dailed it in. My guess is 12knots.
Calvin- here you go. THis is the section of the floor where we're adding 4000Ibs of push button ballast.Upload
Upload
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
So, no one had an opinion on the swim deck?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
I'd still put on some type of swim step. Maybe place it a little higher then normal, and also make it narrower and rounded then normal.

BTW-Care to host a video/photo shoot next spring?
I see some serious potential for new and ground breaking (or should that be wake shattering)stuff here.

(Message edited by caskimmer on August 28, 2006)
Old    surfdad            08-28-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
I haven't noticed any significant issue on wake development from my swimdeck. From the look of the pictures, it doesn't seem to be an issue with yours either.

I do believe that the swimdeck offers at least some additional protection to the surfer, however slight, should the surfer run up towards he boat and dive forward against a still moving prop and a boat that is slowing down. An accidental hit of the throttle or some such.

My opinion is to leave it on.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
For sure, I quite often have to push off the swimstep and riding without it and seeing that huge prop could be a little intimidating. Plus it looks like getting back into that boat could be a challenging task without it.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Check out the photo of the stern. Don't worry about the prop, you would have to get by the rudder. Also, I'll give the boat to anyone who can touch that prop while it's moving. Just putting it into gear the prop wash kicks you away about 15'. Someone could fall into the trim tab plate, and that wouldn't feel good. My current idea on the swim deck is to see where she sits in the water prior to fabrication. I'm thinking of having a deck from the prop on over to the right. I'm going to have a drop down steps on the port side for a temp situation.
Sean- yeah, I'm certainly interested in creating vidz. And, I'm going deep financially to make this project a business venture. I'll be looking for sponsors for vidz, photo shoots, and events.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
Curtis, I like your idea of no swim deck on the port side - more room for error when long boarding or accelerating too fast on that massive wake! I like the way your boat squares off at the stern. Can't wait to see the final results of "Project Mayhem".
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
Jim- I've always been hesitant when getting real close to the swim deck (my boat had one prior to dry stacking the exhaust.) I'm looking forward to seeing how much more working room there will be available. Perhaps use all 6'!
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-28-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
What kind of boat is that? A platform would be nice if you had company who wanted to swim and play, so I'd recommend putting one on just for those occasional breaks between sets. Congratulations on your project!
Old    surfdad            08-28-2006, 6:37 PM Reply   
Curtis, 12 knots is about 14 mph! You'd need a pretty good sized board for surfing at that speed. Your intent is to use ocean boards behind it? Also, have you read the thread in the boats forum about damaged boats, including those boats sunk from being hit by large wakes?

I think I'll stick with my small(er) wake.

Upload
Old    bobthomas            08-28-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
Jeff, if you're truly wringing hands over Curtis' wake I would suggest that you avoid the Delta and stick to small wakes on lakes (hey, it rhymes!).

On the Delta you will regularly see wakes that are much bigger than Curtis' and if you know how to handle a boat, you don't have to worry about getting swamped.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-28-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
No, if you want to keep surfing you had better watch what your doing with your wakes. We nearly lost our lake to fishermen complaints this year. Curt should have no problem operating in the right place and in the right conditions. I often have to stop what we're doing to make sure we don't swamp a Normand Rockwell, mom, dad, and junior wearing bright orange life jackets in a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat.

Watch what your doing and don't give someone a reason to restrain wakeboarding and wakesurfing.
Old    surfdad            08-28-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
I wouldn't touch the delta with a 10 foot POLE for that and other reasons. My concern isn't about folks that know how to handle a boat, but for those that don't and would be subject to a wake that could cause damage to persons and property. To me, it simply isn't necessary or advisable to create a wake that large unless you restrict it to open water locations.

Also, I'm not hearing anyone say - cool, and I promise to ONLY create a wake this large where only experienced boaters are (performing an interview before heading out :-) ), in shipping lanes - or in the ocean. The presumption that folks "know how to handle a boat" doesn't exist on many waterways.

IMO, if such a practice becomes popular, and one person gets their boat swamped, it doesn't focus on the folks that are self-centered and don't restrict their practices, it focuses on the sport of wakesurfing.

We saw that, before the NASBLA model law, how it worked with CO poisoning when wakesurfing was almost banned.

Not that I think many folks will ever invest in a boat as Curtis has - too impractical, but I'm growing less fond of the idea, as folks simply won't restrict their behaviors and that, IMO will eventually lead to some accident.

Plus let's be honest...maybe 1% of wakesurfers can surf at 14 mph and could even make use of a wake that size.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-28-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
jeff,

what is the story behind the swamped boat ?
Old    bobthomas            08-28-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
Wow, it seems that the same chicken littles(tm) who spread a great deal of false information, and outright hysteria, about swim deck starts are in full on paranoid mode about Curtis' wake.

Why am I not surprised, given the history?

--To me, it simply isn't necessary or advisable to create a wake that large unless you restrict it to open water locations.--

Wake up and smell the coffee. Wakes of that size, and bigger, are a daily occurence on non-open water locations, like the Delta.

Some folks apparently like larger wakes than you do. Why restrict their enjoyment of the sport because you prefer a small wake and are incredibly paranoid about wake impacts in general?
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2006, 9:46 PM Reply   
ronnie: it's next yrs enzo.
jeff: 14 knots was the longer wake u liked and asked about. We go as slow as 8mph where we get real tall and short.. Regardless of speed I prefer a skimmer: its fast and turns quicker than jeff can away from my wake. I agree, be careful of what u create. i'm thinking of a roto beam and sign along with a mindful captain. i'm also driving by barges and other large commercial vessels. I don't expect many to follow my venture, although mastercraft is approaching w/ a 28fter! if everyone is out to be a good boater, we will keep down the problems. otherwise, stay away from me-hah!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
I don't think the wake's going to be that big of a deal considering Curtis is running on the Hood River. After all the Gorge is considered one of the best windsurfing spots in the world due to it's winds and large waves and barge wakes. His wake is tame in comparison to what that river is capable of dishing out.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-28-2006, 10:52 PM Reply   
Bobthomas,
Chill. Since when is asking folks to be mindful of others "full on parnoid" If you read the wakeboarders posts wakesurfers and their wakes should be banned from the Delta. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/348878.html . Tell the guy whose boat was swamped by a wake that he should know how to drive a boat.
If posting the current laws in California regarding swim deck starts is "false information" or "outright hysteria" then by all means keep posting what you think are more important posts. In fact why even worry about no wake zones the best water is always there. Down with the establishment.
Old    bobthomas            08-28-2006, 11:33 PM Reply   
Dennish, your post is ridiculous, on so many levels.

Nowhere did I claim that posting current laws in California about swim deck starts is "false information" or "hysteria." Those are straw men that you constructed.

What is false information and hysteria is claiming that swim deck starts carry the risk of maiming or death and/or are equal to teak surfing. Like you and your boat buddy Jeff have done in the past.

Back to the subject at hand, the wake. Yes, it's obvious that the unfortunate driver of the boat in your link didn't handle the yacht wakes in the best manner. To argue otherwise indicates a profound lack of experience with Delta boatiing.

"If you read the wakeboarders posts wakesurfers and their wakes should be banned from the Delta. "

Ridiculous. Many of those posts are tongue-in-cheek but I guess that I shouldn't expect you to be able to see that. Yes, wakeboarders don't appreciate wakesurfers throwing rollers down Vics. To jump from that reality to "wakesurfers and their wakes should be banned from the Delta" is silly, at best.

"In fact why even worry about no wake zones the best water is always there."

When you attempt to put words in my mouth (albeit virtually) you only illustrate how weak your "arguments" are. That is ludicrous.

"Down with the establishment."

No, not down with the establishment, rather down with a few namby-pamby little old lady types who pollute this forum with their hysteria.

This goofy (pun intended) "concern" about Curtis' wake is just the latest example of the silliness that flows all too readily from a few keyboards.
Old    surfdad            08-29-2006, 4:57 AM Reply   
Is that 'justsomeguy' reinvented?

(Message edited by surfdad on August 29, 2006)
Old    surfdad            08-29-2006, 5:05 AM Reply   
Hey Curtis is Mastercraft building a new boat that is 28 feet long? Didn't Centurion have a huge storm series boat that was close to that length...I can't remember the name now, Tsunami, possibly? Is that still being sold?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-29-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
MC has the x-80 --and yes centurion made the tsunami --30 footer -- super nice boat -- made less than 50 of them
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
Sean- Swell can get up to 15' in the Gorge. Best sport around when it's good and windy.
Jeff- MC website states it's $110k. Ouch. I just was able to check out that photo of the sinking boat. At least they all have life jackets!
Old    surfdad            08-29-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
I thought you had some inside info on a new boat that MC was planning. Yeah, I priced the X-80...shoot 2 years ago. It was ridiculously expensive, IMO, then too.

Joshua, any idea why Centurion stopped building the Tsunami? Didn't that have some type of forward cuddy also? I remember seeing it in a promo piece and it was HUGE.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
My cousin is a professional windsurfer and spends her summers up there.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-29-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
Jeff, Centurion made very little $$ on those boats -- The yare very rare. IF my memory serve me correct there wer only 7 built in NC and 24 in CA. We actually spoke w/ the guy in NC that built them (my brother is trying to find one) and he stated it took too much time to build. With the time and cost of materials versus the demand for the boat and the sale price, it just didn't make sense from a financial standpoint. They are super nice boats and very roomy.. If i am not mistaking, there were 2 at boardstock this year...
Old    surfdad            08-29-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
Ok, I did a quick look-see and it said that Centurion was marketing the boat as a "cheaper" alternative to an offshore racing boat and that it was over 30 feet in length (including swim deck?) Got this pic from WW - three axle trailer, BUT I see that it is an I/O! Eleminates the potential for wakesurfing.

There were certainly tons of Centurion's at boardstock, everything from their new 24 Enzo's and I swear I saw an original Wave. Wouldn't surprize me if there was a Tsunami or two there.

Upload
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
I've seen pics of people wakesurfing this boat, and its not too dangerous considering how far the engines sit back in the boat.

There was a big argument and someone finally did the math of how much force it would take to travel against the force of the water coming back. Basically found it impossible to hit the prop because of distance vs. force of water.

Edit, here' the link to the pics of wakesurfing:
www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/68059.html?1054137388

and here's one for sale in Spain:
www.spanishpropertyworld.com/centurion_tsunami_ski_boat_for_sale_in_ibiza_spain .htm

(Message edited by Souperfly on August 29, 2006)
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
Upload

Tsunami surf for the lazy
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
WOW, that's the best goofy wake I've seen yet. Perfect transition for tricks.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
Sean- are you from the area? There use to be a Ward riding from back in my days of wakeboarding.
Jeff- I wouldn't see length being the key here. It's the weight capacity, draw, length, beam which will combine for the ultimate wake. Wasn't his debated on another thread? Tsunami seems cool for a party, but not a wave. Just looking at it doesn't appear it would be epic. Then, you're talking about a lot of weight w/ a gas engine starting to have a bit of trouble pushing that through the water. This get's us back to the discussion of the perfect boat...which MC will never create. My boat is fairly close, and it would have cost me another 70k to get what I "really" wanted.
Old    surfdad            08-29-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
I wasn't intending to make any comment or association with length vs desirabe wake characteristics, just hijacking the thread for discussion of the Tsunami. :-) I'm very happy with my Tige and find it "perfect" for our purposes.

Upload
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
No, I'm from San Diego but I use to be somewhat involved in the Tahoe snowboarding scene back in the day.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
Jeff- Any boat that's actually on the water would make me happy. I get lots of calls when my boat runs, and about zero when she's in the shop. Shows ya where your real friends are! You kids kick ass off that wake. Looking good.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-29-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
and the tsunami will run 70mph too... WOW...
Old     (chainboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-29-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
Ive have no pic yet but my mayhem prodject is consiting of my 27 foot I/O weighted around 12000 pounds. I don't have a pic but If you are able to imagine trimmed up at about 11.5 I can make about a 6 foot wave. almost swamped a boat before it broke. He got to close and went sraight into it.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
chainboy- get some pics up. becareful if it's 6ft. is that 12000 all boat or with a ballast? mechanics just called w/ news of the flooring down, rewire completed, and the exhaust stacks up, Can anyone loan me some money?!
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Curtis, do you use a drysuit or a wetsuit for winter surfing, or do you take the winter off?
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-30-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Jim- THis boat is designed for winter use! Drysuit is being repaired right now for the season. But, you can't paddle very well w/ it. I have the general rule you paddle back to the boat if you fall. Makes turning her around a bit easier. We're trying to design a throw system that launches a rope back to the rider and we can pull him back. It's a bitch to paddle a skim board, so I need to come up w/ something. Especially w/ a good dry suit, there's nothing nicer to be wearing warm clothes in cool water. There will be a debate over drysuit vs wetsuit, b/c one could warm up in the hot tub prior to riding w/ a wetsuit. We'll have hot water in the mean time.
Old    4sher            08-30-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Curtis,

Just let me know when she's up and running and the Inland Surfer crew will make the trip down from Seattle.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
Good, I suspected you were hardcore. I surf all winter although the water rarely drops below 56 degrees here. I've surfed the point at Seaside, Oregon back in the 80s, although I had a 5 mil suit back then. I was warm as toast, but the wetsuit was stiff and hard to surf in. If I make it up to Oregon to surf your massive wake, I will have a new 4 mil suit. Am I going to freeze my ass off, or will I be good for short sessions lasting 10-15 minutes?
Old     (the_dude)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
Curtis, what type of boat is that? Also spec. length, width, etc. From your experience what would be the best combination of length, width, hull design, weight, etc. for a good wake surfing boat. I ask, because I'm about to embark on a similar project.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-08-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
Curtis-paddling back shouldn't be a problem, we had to do the same thing in Cabo.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-10-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Sean- You paddle on a skim board?
LSG- Fishing vessel: 32', 12' beam, 20,000 pound load capacity, 500hp diesel single screw which unfortunately equates to $100k used.
Mechanics delayed again! Patiently waiting.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-10-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
Sean- You paddle w/ a skim board?
LSG- Fishing vessel: 32', 12' beam, 20,000pounds "fish" capacity, big diesel engine appr. 500hp which unfortunately equates to a used boat no less than $80k, more like $100k. Let us know when it comes together.
Old    surfdad            09-11-2006, 4:44 AM Reply   
Hey Curtis, my 50 year old neck doesn't turn that far to the right, can you post a picture of the stern of your boat for folks. The general consensus is that you need a deep V to toss a decent surf wake, but as my buddy Dennis was pointing out, that doesn't seem to hold true with your boat. Your's looks flatter than an old "American Skier" hull.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-11-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
I thought I posted that message twice.
I'll post a better pic than what's up there. It's difficult to see the V section of the bow due to the black paint and dark background. The stern is flat from the prop shaft on back. I wasn't able to be too picky on the "exact" hull I wanted. In general, look like an enlarged tourny boat in my eyes. I would love for someone to prove me wrong w/ a better boat.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-11-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
Jeff- a few more shots which give a hint on the hull, but not perfect. Certainly not entirely flat..Upload
Upload
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-11-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Curtis- yes skimboards.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-11-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
I produce near perfect wakes in my test pool using model hulls with zero to minimal deadrise in the stern. I think Curtis's hull looks really good. I don't know why any of the old skiers didnt produce a good wake. Maybe no one ever added enough weight or produced enough yaw.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-11-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
That's a cool built in prop guard
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-28-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Talk about never finishing a project. But, things are finally starting to look good. Check out the dry stacks and tower. Upload
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-28-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
Sweet! I really like the wake this thing puts out. Look forward to seeing more developments and pictures.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-29-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
Curtis, the dry stacks are a great idea. I would do the same. I got cold feet on the Polaris deal in Ventura. The only available wet slip was a bad set-up, and there is no inland waterway down here. I'll probably buy a wakeboard boat by spring and surf on the lake. Look forward to more pictures. Take care.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
Jim- Good price on the Ventura boat. I wouldn't recommend it on small lakes, or crowded areas. You'll certainly get the attention of everyone quickly. Also, if you want to move her, 10K for a trailer and a medium duty truck (Chevy Kodiak kicks ass, but costs 50k+- 5yr plan). The dry stacks were (is) not an easy project.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-31-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
you could easily string a MASSIVE bimini across the length of that boat.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
When does that boat set sea again? I want more action pics...
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-01-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   
Ben- the mechanics have been saying 2 weeks for the last 6months. We just passed the year mark! I'll either be posting pics or crying myself to sleep depending how this wake sizes up.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-07-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
Curtis any update? Ever get the boat on the water?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Anyone that say's #$#K it and hops in with the docker shorts and leather belt has my vote...
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-07-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Yeah has this project been completed?