Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wmk)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-04-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
Sorry guys, but i did search and didn't come up with a definitive answer.

Basically looking for a board that will let me and my crew learn some surface tricks. Slides, 180's, 360's etc. I'm 6'4 and 185 but plan to bulk to about 200 and the rest of my crew goes up to about 230 ish.

Currently have a broadcast 5'6 which i find impossible to spin and a coex 4'4 which i can spin on with a ridiculous amount of weight in the boat, but otherwise the board seems to ride low in the water with my weight.

From searching it looks like the best options are the trickboardz mojo xl, the yellow loogey, and maybe a phase five oogle? Any boards that i'm missing which would be a good candidate?

Thanks in advance
Old    surfdad            12-04-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
The Phase 5 Prop is rated up to 220, and I like it better for all around riding to the Oogle, which is rated to 250.

The folks at Walzer can build you a semi-custom board that is durable, and is great for surface rotational tricks.

Most of the surfstyle boards will allow you to spin surface 3's - 180's are a challenge, but realistically riding backside switch is hard for most folks to begin with. So Shred Stixx, Inland's Blue, The Walker Project, Stripes, Awakesurf aka Area 53? I think, Shoreline and Placebo all have offerings that would fit the bill.

What about cost and storage, important? What size wake will you be riding with "most" of the time?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-04-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
The Mojo XL is too big for you; go down at least one notch to the Grande. I have the Mojo Xl, but rode the Grande this summer, actually the board was a Freestyle, the model name changed. At 210 to 220 the Mojo XL is too big, I can ride it and have a good time doing so but after riding a the smaller Freestyle I'd recommend the smaller board. The first time I spun on the Free style I did about a 540. I’ve yet to spin a 3 and stay in the pocket though.

The IS Blue is a nice riding the surf style board, I've found that the Yellow has a similar ride, and I think the Yellow will spin better. I say "think" because one guy at one of our Midwest surf gatherings did his first 3 on a yellow and I've spun it, I just didn't stay in the pocket.
Old     (wmk)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-04-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
Good info so far, way more options than i thought. Cost and storage aren't important at all. I'd say the wake size is pretty large since we ride with a ton of weight, but doesn't qualify as ridiculously huge. Generally the wave is about mid thigh on me with the pocket varying on how much we weight the front of the boat.

I'll do some reading on those options. I have communicated with Larry at Trickboardz and it sounds like they are out of production for a while to move to a fiberglass platform.

All of these options sound very interesting.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-04-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
Last I heard from Larry he was pretty stoked about his fiberglass Surf Skate.