Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-16-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
Ok, so mine is not nearly as cool as the last custom system posted here but this was my first attempt at fiberglass bondo combo for my box. Here is the old picture of my tower speakers.

I made this box one saturday morning with some plywood I had around the house and left over carpet from redoing the floor of my old boat. Not bad, actually sounds great. However this summer in the hot Las Vegas sun the carpet burnt, litterally looked like it had been held over a flame. Also after being inspired reading some posts here on Wakeworld I decided to make a project for myself. Here are the results.

While I'm at it, here is a pic of my new sub enclosure. Sounds surprisingly good.

Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-16-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
Nice! Now that you have broken the ice you will begin to find all sorts of projects you want to do with fiberglass...
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-16-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
rob thats sweet, if u are looking for any utah riders to help test it out let me know. i'm just out here in west jordan
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-16-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
Actually because I don't have any great sanding tools and bondo work sucks, I may have just convinced myself to buy more of my stuff.....

Of course I say that now but wait till the next thing that costs 500 bones comes up.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-20-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
Looks Great!!!

The sanding part of it definitely sucks. I started one about 9 months ago. Until this past weekend I haven't really done much to it in 3 or 4 months. I finally finished sanding it this weekend. As soon as the temps get back up above freezing it's time for paint!

I'll post pics when (if) I finish it
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-20-2006, 10:05 PM Reply   

quote:

Actually because I don't have any great sanding tools and bondo work sucks

I guess having the right tool helps, but even with the best tools out there, Bondo work sucks!!! Do you have any fingernails left? The boxes turned out great, looks way cooler than your old setup.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-21-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
For next time, here's a bondo tip.....

After you apply the bondo, quickly douse your hands with rubbing alchohol and then smooth out the rough spots of the bondo. By doing this you can buy yourself some extra time to get the bondo almost smooth enough to where sanding isn't needed as much.

The wetness of the alcohol keeps the bondo from setting up, therefore giving you time to smooth it out. You can keep on wetting your hands with alcohol to continue smoothing out the bondo. When you are satisfied with your results simply stop smoothing. The aclcohol will evaporate rapidly and allow the bondo to set up. This litle trick made all the difference with my box. I still hate sanding though.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-21-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Richard, that sounds like a great tip, a lot of the time it seems like no matter how thin of a coat you put on it seems to dry and leave a semi rough texture.

I've decided that I'm not quite satisfied with my box and I already took it down. I bought a couple more spot lights for the front end ---$15 at Walmart or $50 bones from Autozone.....or $300 from a boat shop, funny how that works.

Anyway I'm putting in two 6.5's on the bottom side that I'm going to put an On Off switch to. Since I'm worried about these falling I'll put them on the inside, bondo and round off the edges but no grills on them.

Any tips on running 6 speakers in the box off of one amp?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-21-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Another bondo tip I learned is to use styrofoam or paper bowls to mix your bondo in, instead of the lid from the bondo. More mixes per hour.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-02-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
I think i might take a stab one of these soon.