Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
When installing a new prop do you recomend putting some grease on the shaft. I replaced the prop on my boat this weeeknd and the old prop was seazed on the shaft. Would you recomend throwing a bit of waterproof grease on the shaft to make sure the prop dosent get stuck.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-30-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   

..Alittle LUBE on your shaft is always a good thing HA!!!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
It is called spline grease and it works. I recommend you use teflon pipe thread dope - lasts longer. Available at Home Depot, etc.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
Good Times ayyyy Grant.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2005, 6:01 PM Reply   
Replaced prop last weekend while checking out Nacimento? That doesn't sound positive what's the rest of the story?

I applied the pipe dope to the inside of the prop hub as Karl recommended when I bought my prop from him, seems to work fine but you still need to use a puller.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-31-2005, 7:07 AM Reply   
A prop puller should take care of it, but if not, you can try tapping the primary hub of the prop between the blades all around the prop, several times and also on the inside of the hub. Mind you this is gentle tapping to knock loose where it is locked. you might want to also add some WD-40 to this procedure.

Works for me!

I say this because I jsut replaced my prop and shaft this spring, and it specifically notes in the Elberts instructions NOT to add grease or any lubricant to the shaft or prop. This is because the prop may not align perfectly on the taper of the shaft.

I'm just offering what the Elbert's instructions said, so that is what I personally followed.

(Message edited by wakescene on August 31, 2005)