Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
I currently have about 650 lbs of lead that I keep in my boat full-time, both when trailering and in the water, currently 350 in the back and 300 in front. I live about 40 minutes from the delta. Is this ok or too much? I haven't run into any issues when trailering or any damage to the boat hull in the water, but I'm interested to hear what is considered a safe amount of lead to keep in your boat. I have a tandem axel trailer. Thoughts?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-21-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
One of the big things is to not let the lead rest against the outer hull of the boat. If it is then it must be set on some styrofoam or there of the equivelent to disperse the weight. Otherwise banging against the hull can occur and gel coat cracks may appear.

Past that the trailer is the biggest concern. Some of the Master Craft trailers were having problems with the torsion springs breaking on late model trailers, and I have heard of earlier model trailers with leaf springs breaking also. The next concern on the trailer is going to be the tires. Make sure they are radials (Not the Carlisles) that are in good condition with the correct air pressure.

Now how much extra weight to safely put in the boat is going to depend on the trailer carrying capacity and the tow vehicle capacity.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-21-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
A few local guys here is WA run more than that and tow with it too. You will get a wide range of feedback from people on the issue of towing with lead in the boat.

I assume your tow rig can handle the extra weight. A lot of people have commented on past posts….that too much weight is bad for the trailer. Be sure to check your trailer weight rating to see how close you are. Keep an eye on your trailer tires, make sure your bearings are greased well and not getting overheaded., and check your suspension pieces for signs of wear. Sounds like you have it balance out pretty well. I know too much or too little tongue weight could be an issue if not balanced out. Sure your brakes will wear faster too… not a big deal

I tow local with about 400 lbs of lead and have not had any issues. I added air bags to my Tahoe and that helps keep everything level with the extra weight.