Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
I started talking with my brother in law about buying his dads motorhome. It is a 27' 1988 Winnebago SuperChief with a 454(carb). Anyway, going to give me a great deal, but he says the tow capacity is 3500 lbs?????

Can't buy a motorhome if the tow cap is 3500 lbs......

Does this seem right or is he confused about the tow cap?

Side note, now I have been actively shopping and see some older diesel MH's with like 250 HP 8ish liter motors.... What is towing like with these?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-12-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
EJ
The towing capacity is all determined by the chasis and what the GCW. Take the GCW (gross combined weight) and subtract out the gross weight of the vehicle. That will give you an idea of towing capacity + all the water in your tanks and your stuff. I could spend all sorts of time explaining more but rule of thumb that I found out is most Class C motorhomes have a 3500lb (there are some out there that will do 5K, but tough to find and don't let some sales guy tell you otherwise). Most Class A gassers will tow 5000, but not all. When you step into a diesel pusher you start getting into the 10K towing range. There will be a sticker in one of the cupboards or on the door that tells you all the GCWR, etc, etc.... Or if you can find it on the internet I can help you. We did a class A for the same reason. It made the search pretty easy. Good luck
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-12-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
I did some brief research online and see that it is a class a, which is good news. I could not find the GCVWR or GVW. If the weights are alright you can remove the 3500lb hitch and replace it with a 5000lb.
good luck
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-12-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
oh yeah and if you want the experts on RV's. Make a post on RV.net and then go to forums..... They are a wealth of knowledge....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-12-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Yea, have found my way over there Diggs, but thanks a ton for the info. you have provided.

I have been on some RVdirectwholesalers.com and looking at a Class B with the diesel. Have inquired about the tow capacity there.

You have a Class A with an 8.1 correct? No issues whatsoever correct? You have passes to climb correct? Engine/tranny ever get hot?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-12-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
I have an 8.1 workhorse engine and yeah it towes like a dream... i have a 5k lb hitch and yeah we tow passes just fine.
Old     (shortywakeman)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-12-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
We have a 1987 Fleetwood 27 Ft Class C Motorhome with a Ford 460, and it tows great, we had a 1989 Arriva (roughly 4000 lbs) and now we have a 1999 Ultra (roughly 4000 lbs) and it tows both great, we live in So Cal, so we make quite a few trips out to the river and it does 45 mph up hill in the heat.

Don't know if this will help you at all, Sorry if it doesn't, The only thing that kills us is the gas mileage, ha, about 6-8 miles to the gallon.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
Check the owners manual?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
Assume he did....or maybe he doesn't have it? Who knows.

My budget is ever increasing.

I have started looking at the Super C's.....but it appears that the costs are as much as like sized(feet) Class A's.

I am getting motorhomed out..... God I have spanned the nation and have feelers out with who knows how many dealers.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-13-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
Just out of curiousity what do you do for a vehicle if you are towing the boat. Other than buying the beast that hides your car in it's belly!!

I would like to look into one for vacations but I am not sure how to make the wife feel better about no vehicle.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-13-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
EJ those super c's are awesome but yeah pricey... it is hard to find a good motorhome for a good price for the following reasons:
-People take out large loans on them cause you can write off the interest like a second home and it depreciates and they are upside down and need top dollar
-People do not care for them well and leave them outside to get beat up and get water damage
-People live in them and they stink!

My suggestion is to do craigslist and rvtrader and wait to find one that is a private owner that has it paid off and needs to sell it. We got a 32' one and it is still plenty easy to drive around as a daily driver if you really had to since you would be towing the boat. We launch the boat with it with no problem at all.
Ours is for sale in Oregon if you want a pristine kept one.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
Bazel, I would drive it to the lake and camp. Then leave and go home. No real plans to drive around town, in fact....no real towns by the lakes I go to. Just getting one to keep my wife & kids out of tents, which the boss has had enough of.

I started building at RV Pricebusters. Diggs, you feel like a Class A with the workhorse and more than enough to tow my SAN all around the mountains here?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
Not sure about 07 models, but the ford platform has a higher tow rating than the workhorse when bough my RV. I have the workhorse, and would not trade it for a ford even with the higher tow weight. A group of us have class A's, 32 and 34 fters. Only one has the ford platform, and he gets left behind when pulling the boats over hills.

Also, I know I'll get slammed for this, but if you have a class A and tow any type of boat, you are over weight. everyone I know is over when we load down.
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-13-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
EJ,
If your looking into a motorhome contact Shane over at motorsportsland on State. His number is 713-1151. Thats who we bought our class A from and he gave us a great deal. I also referred a friend over there and he gave him an amazing deal as well. His customer service is far superior than anyone we have encountered. We called him at almost midnight once because of our own stupidity and he got the mechanic on three way and worked it out. It took two hours. Just tell him Brett and Missy referred you. It doesn't hurt to see what he's got. We actually take ours to starvation virtually every other weekend come mid June. Good Luck on your hunt you'll love the hell out of whatever you choose.
Old     (kerryn2skiing)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-13-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
My husband and I have been seriously looking into what we want to buy. Our goal is to be able to tow either our Sandrail or our boat. We really like the Jayco Seneca HD. It's a 6600 Duramax on a Kodyak chassis, it's a little pricey but a very well put together package. Totally worth looking into.
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-13-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
Also not sure if your paying cash or not. Unfortunetley we could not. If your not last I checked Mountain America had the best rates.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
Jeff, Yes I assumed as much, being a little over weight. Though it seems A LOT of people are doing it. Any issues?????

Brett, I actually talked with Shane when I was over there looking at the Super C's yesterday. I will let him know you sent me back. I assume I will be back talking with him. Did you pull your Malibu/plan on pulling the X-Star with the Class A? Is it a D-Pusher?

Kerry, yep been looking at the Jayco Seneca with the duramax as well. Can get a lower end diesel pusher for what they want.....so I want to look at one in person to see what all the fuss is about.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
If you're getting a diesel pusher you won't have a problem towing anything. Those things are bad a$$, they are like a small apartment inside, lucky dog...
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
I don't plan on getting a pusher. In fact, I refuse to even do anything but walk by them and admire. Last thing I need to do is walk in one....

I have seriously considered the diesel Super C's.
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
Diggs gave you the correct answer.
The towing capacity is all determined by the chasis and what the GCW. Take the GCW (gross combined weight) and subtract out the gross weight of the vehicle. That will give you an idea of towing capacity + all the water in your tanks and your stuff.

Went through the same thing, for safety sake don't overload. Find the lightest body and the most chassis capacity. Specs usually found in the rear closet. This means no slide out and base options. Maintain your GCW. Side loads are the problem not pulling. Crossbrace the rear hitch area you'll be good for way over 5000 lbs Class C.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
EJ, there is also the front engine diesel Allegro class A. I don't kow much about them, or if they have an increase to rating. But they are cheaper than a similar diesel pusher.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-14-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
EJ
yes i think a class a with the workhorse will work fine. We are in Oregon so pretty much anywhere we go we encounter mountains too. There are also many performance mods you can do to help more. Yes you certainly would be better with a diesel, but for most that is not practical cause of price and number of miles travelled per year.
Jeff,
I have about 7500 lbs between my GVW and GCVW. That basically leaves me with my 5klb boat/trailer plus the ability to have 2500 lbs of gear and tanks. That still keeps me under weight even if I do fill my tanks (all tanks) before leaving, but most people don't fill until they get to their location and dump their before leaving.
Brett was correct in above about finding a rig that finding a light body short rig is good for this. That is why you find so many people that want to tow race cars, boats, etc going with the older fleetwood flairs. Might not have the most flash, but keeps you dry and underweight.
Good luck.... What is your true budget? New or used? That will realy answer all the questions in the world?
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-14-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
We have had a 40' DP for 5 years now. The prices on the used ones 2000 to 2002 are better than the super Cs that you’re looking at. We have towed the boat 5500 lb over 40,000 miles and you don't even know it is back there. Take a look at the Newmar line, Mountain Aire or the Dutch star lines in those years, their great motor homes. I would not go back to the class C after having owned the class A dp, so much more room and capacities in weight.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
No set budget, other than I have a 100K ceiling as I just have a mental block spending that on a toy.

Have peripherally been looking at everything in-between the original > 10K used brother in laws dads MH, to 100K builds online. Plus my stop at Motor Sports Land(think I am going to Ardell Brown today).

I tend to research the chit out of my purchases and take my time. Hell, took me a full 2+ years to purchase my SAN. Including multiple serious talks with dealers both years.

Never had a problem spending money, just have internal issues having to be 100% sure that what I purchase is perfect for me. Hell, it took me 4-6 months to buy my 30D.....

I rushed into my first toy purchase, a new Cobalt boat. Got a screaming deal and it was an amazing boat....but not a great fit for me, as it left me wanting in the tow department(my wife still misses that boat. Sold it for approx. 2 K less than I paid 3 years later, but it taught me a great lesson.

That said.....watch me buy one today....
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-14-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
EJ,
I pulled the malibu and currently pull the xstar and it works great. Hitting big passes you'll slow down but it gets the job done. When I say slow i'm talking 35-45 mph. O and I have a gasser for now. I just need to not look at the diesel pushers, my pockets can't afford one right now.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
Paul,

That is a REAL dilemma that I fight with. In a perfect world, I would purchase a used D-pusher. I would focus my attention there 100%, but I worry about buying someone's issues. Seems like everyone is having health problems and selling....

Never bought a used car/boat for this exact reason. But I think it is the way to go "if" I could be assured that it was taken care of the way I would take care of it.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Exactly Brett.... Like I said, I walk right by them on the lot.

Do you mind if I e-mail you and we can talk specifics of what you have and costs?
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-14-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
the email account attached to wakeworld I got rid of someone hacked it and it was my paypal account. I'll IM you my new address and be more than happy to tell you about what I have and the cost.