Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-18-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
ok this was kind of discussed in the new boards thread, but id like to hear more about it. Do boards really lose their pop over time? i ride an 05 premier and ride it 3-4 times a week for the last two seasons. This season, i dont know what is goin on but it feels sluggish and i have no pop at all. i jumped on a friends new board and i had no issues. so its not my technique. could it really be that my core has broken down? i suppose its possible, since two years ago i warrantied a board for a delamination reason and the shop checked out the board and said i had an 8 inch crack through the core running long ways. im just really curious why its riding funny and if anyone has any input on the subject.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-18-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
i've been using my 04 lf fusion for a while. I think its lost a lot of pop since i got it.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-18-2007, 4:21 PM Reply   
Yeah I think this happens. After I've used a board a year or two I notice there is much more flex and feels softer. You really notice if you pay attention on the swim deck or starting dock at the cable when putting your board on.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-18-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
I think they start to get "mushie" a loose their snap. You can really tell by when you ollie a fresh board it snaps really hard
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-18-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
yeah mine wont olly hardly at all anymore
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-18-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
mine used to get like 12' of air, now it only gets like 1'
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
I wonder how the new slingshot boards will react to this kind of thing... i wonder how they are period!!
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-18-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
i haven't tried the new slingshot boards but my friend is sponsored by them and the last couple of times we went out their wasn't any lack in pop for sure. Im curious how they still pop well with all that flex
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-19-2007, 5:49 AM Reply   
Tim
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-19-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
For the most part i dont think it could happen that fast so maybe you just like your friends board better without knowing it because that seems to be the feel you want.
There is something most people call a flexed out board which is what i think is what your trying to ask. the easiest way to check if a board is flexed out is just to flip it up side down with no bindings and see how close the middle gets to the ground. if the middle is really close or hits then its likely flexed out. I know that CWB makes some boards with a plattnum core which has extra fiberglass in it that makes it alot stiffer and doesnt flex out as fast. (in a hurry sorry about the spelling)

just my thoughts
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-19-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
yeah i checked it after your post, its toast! oh well, good excuse to go try some new ones out!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-19-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
Tony,

According to the Hyp website, their construction methods do the same thing. Its all marketing.
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-19-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Actually, I think the CWB plat. boards have hollow fiberglass rods running the length of the deck, inside of the foam core, which is very different from hyp's "layered fiberglass" (as opposed to woven fiberglass) surrounding a foam core.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-19-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
CWB's Platinums also use a different top sheet that is stiffer than their foam decks. If you look at a Platinum Transcend next to the Foam version you will see subtle differences in the mold. I think it's called Texalium and the stuff is so stiff that they had to tweak the shape so they could fold the stuff over the corners.
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-19-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Hyp is a good company but they add extra layers of fiberglas to their boards which yes makes them stronger but also a little bit heavier. They call it layered fiberglas and say it will have the same amount of pop after 5 seasons.
From what Kevin is saying it doesnt seem to last that long but i dont think any board would hold its pop for 5 seasons much less about 2 or 3 of hard riding.

CWB makes regular foam core boards but their pro model boards also come in the PT78(Platinum)core witch has "Two hollow fiberglas rods" that run down the center of the board and make it a pound lighter.
Not saying it lasts longer just thinking that id rather have a lighter and stronger board opposed to just a stronger board.

better in my opinion
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-19-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
The way I look at it... my board isn't losing pop, it is just learning to land softer.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
i wonder if the longevity of pop differs significantly between three-stage and continuous rockers... anyone know the stats on this fact? ... or was it already written and i missed it?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
i want to think that three stage lasts shorter time than continuous... kinda like comparing roman arches or something but upside-down.. if that makes sense. (an archway with kinks probably holds less weight than one without)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-19-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
Justin Justin Justin,

I know this, I was just relating the similarities in marketing claims

Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-19-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
id rather have my old hard landing premier that pops than what i got now. i ride my boards hard, and i ride A LOT!!! so i definately got my money out of it.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-19-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
How much "pop" loss are we talking here? Like if I could get 6-7 feet of air can I only get 3-4 feet? Or is it more of you just don't feel that hard boot into the air not so much loss of ability to achieve massive air and do sweet tricks.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-19-2007, 11:27 PM Reply   
i guess my boat is popped out becaus eits 14 years old and mad of fiberglass. i think its more of the minds desires leading us to believe that our boards are losing pop because my 5 year old board is just as stiff as my new board. my 5 year old board has seen really hard riding and also my dad who might not jump but at 20 riding a wakeboard like a slalom ski difinitly puts some force on it.
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-20-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
actually boats hull do wear down not as fast as a wakeboard but boats are 1000 times more expensive so they put more work into the hull design also boats arent launching 15 feet in the air boards do lose their pop after a period of time rather than having extra rods that just add weight to the board just get a board with a double concave so it lands softer and doesnt put as much stress on the board
Old    justinh            03-21-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
A softer/flex board does not land soft. You have to land better to ride away on a roam--that is why it feels softer.

When you land your board bends up in the center (not so much in the tips--think about where your weight is). It flattens out and lands harder because it has less rocker.

Boards definitely get softer over time and use. Some worse than others.
Old     (wakeshredder16)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-21-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
about boards losing pop idk i ride an 01 hyperlite belmont and i still pop on ollies and wake to wake just as big and still into the flats havent noticed a change in the 6 years.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-21-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
Adam, thats because its not like one day it just stops having pop. Its a wear out process that increases over time, trust me, you would notice a difference if you had a new 01 Belmont to try out.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-21-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
Luke

I would say the it more like loosing a feeling of snap, versus actually loosing height on air time. Like I said earlier, I can tell a major difference in board how a board ollies that is brand new versus an older board. New decks just have more snap in them, just like a new skateboard deck. I end up going through 4 or 5 boards in a season, because they either break or get to mushie. I think that boards that you jib on get mushie way quicker that a deck you only ride the wake on. Hope this rant makes sense.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-21-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
I ride a '05 CWB Sol and i geuss its losing pop....??... I dunno but i really want a new board and maybe if i can get some feedback on this one it'll be enough to convince my dad into letting me get one!!! HAHAHA