Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-07-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
-I have an 06 B52 23V, what size trim tabs would be a good fit for cleaning up the surf wave? 18" wide by 12" long? or a 12"x12"? What is a "standard" for a 23' boat? I am not familiar witht he size on the the newer MBs

-I also want to add a FAE to my boat (had one on my centurion and lov ed it), and know that an 18" tab will be under the exhaust so the FAE would have to extend over 12" back before it goes down, I have seen pics of these setups and know it can be done by FAE>
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-07-2012, 5:11 PM Reply   
Bigger is better to keep the water surface clean so I'd go with the 18" X 12" . I'm assuming that you are talking about putting two on the sides rather than a single in the center. If it's just the center then the best fit it the correct width.
My Sanger has a center tab that is 12 out and my FAE goes over that just fine.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-07-2012, 5:32 PM Reply   
No it would be a single tab 18", a 12" would fit inbetween the exhaust, but I figure If I am doing FAE, it can extend past the tab and then down.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       12-07-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
whats the benefits of having a single one in the middle over having a twins, one on each side. or is there any?
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-07-2012, 8:32 PM Reply   
One on each side can help clean up the wake for boarding if the weight isn't distributed side to side evenly and also help with surfing. Some manufacturers recently started using two side tabs and calling them "surf tabs" I have zero experience with them but if anyone has experience and says they're worth it I'd probably go that route over the single for the flexibility factor
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-07-2012, 11:06 PM Reply   
Double tabs do more. They control the attitude pitch, or bow up/down of the hull; and the lean or roll of the hull. However there is more 'stuff' in the water and the sides of the wake are not as smooth. The single tab leaves the wake smooth but only adjusts the pitch. Most wake boats have a single tab as a result.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-08-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Be careful adding the trim tab, make sure that it is above the running edge of tha transom and that when it is in the fully up posistion that it will allow the hull to settle. The MB is a v hull so I would say pick a trim tab size that fits that center flat spot , not too big, not too small. Also absolutely make sure it's 100% level! If its a degree or 2 off you may end up with a list while underway
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       12-08-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
I do have the center and the 'wake' tabs on my epic - and to be honest - I still haven't figured out what good they do beyond that I turn the boat into a submarine when it's fully loaded and I extend all tabs fully down I was hoping that I would give me additional tip for surf setup (like left tank full - right tab fully extended) but it doesn't. If I try to clean up the wake it gets rather finicky and the first thing the boat is usually doing is going the other way (like I'm in a left turn surfing and extend the right tab and next is that boat is veering to the right despite me still having the rudder going left).

Now that may all be b/c of boat design - so don't take my word that the same will happen to you if you try it. In regards of the FAE: Yes that will extend past the trim tab - have it on my epic but you may want to tell Larry if you don't have a stock setup - so he will ask you to fill out the measurement form to ensure that it fits.

Last edited by monkey_butt; 12-08-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-09-2012, 11:31 AM Reply   
i have the trim tab on my 2013 MB b52. Its at the dealer getting its 1st service and winterization or i would measure it for you. its gonna be closer to that 12x12 here is a pic i have of it

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-11-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
Ya that looks like a 12x12