Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wiegs)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-12-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
Any thoughts on the yamaha jet boats? I really like the 212x. I think we will be upgrading to a bigger boat next season. We are just looking for a family friendly boat. Being able to carry 9 adults comfortably would be a huge upgrade.

http://www.yamahaboats.com/212x
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-12-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
my only concern with the jet boats is that (around my neck of the woods) the dealer is an ATV and motorcycle shop, not marine dealer. I just worry that they don't have the knowledge to fix the other aspects of the boat because they are used to off road vehicles.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-12-2012, 5:35 PM Reply   
You could buy one heck of a nice wake boat for 40000+ and it would be a real wake boat. If wakeboarding is what you want to do u will be greatly disappointed in that boat.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-12-2012, 5:36 PM Reply   
Looks like a cool boat for cruising, hanging out, tubing and novice wakeboarding but won't be a torquey wake machine if that's what you're looking for. The factory ballast is only 400 lbs and it probably won't handle a whole lot more than that unless you have zero people weight. Also these small engines typically have very little charging capacity so you can't go too overboard with stereo gear without large, shore charged, battery banks.
Old     (JohnP)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-12-2012, 5:38 PM Reply   
I have a friend who has a older model of a yamaha and theses 2 motors DRINK fuel because you are turning such high RPM's. Needless to say that got sold in a hurry!
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-12-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
Yeah, and although it's a somewhat appealing boat to me for non-wakeboarding use, I would never consider spending even half of that MSRP on it.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-12-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
BTW pretty much any 20'+ V-drive is coast guard rated for more than 9 people (Most are 11+). I've been in a current generation X2 (20' forked bow) with 10 before in relative comfort.

Also, spend $30-40k or so on a decent used inboard and it will have already taken that initial depreciation hit vs. this boat which I'd bet will drop $10k+ in the first year.

All that said if you lived on a salt water bay in a coastal area and do minimal wakeboarding a gently used equivalent to this boat could be pretty nice.
Old    9Drozd            05-12-2012, 11:48 PM Reply   
If you like cruising the lake and occasionally wakeboarding/skiing/tubing/water sports, they are great boats. Very low maintenance and no worries about hitting anything with the running gear(as their is none). They are not too bad on gas if you use it for that aspect only. However, if you plan to do alot of boarding behind this, they will suck gas like crazy and tend to be all over the place when pulling a wakeboarder or skier that cuts into the wake hard( they have no external running gear nor tracking fins). If water sports are not you primary function of the boat, go demo it and enjoy the water. Note, when you are in reverse, the controls are backwards as to what they normally are with an I/O or Inboard. They handle well and are great boats as far as everything else goes.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-13-2012, 6:12 AM Reply   
They are just not a good deal compared to a real wakeboat:

- Go walk around in one, then go walk around in pretty much any brand of wakeboat and you can see and feel the difference in quality between the boats. The jet boats just feel cheaper and lower end.

- Though there isn't any running gear, don't think jet boats can't suck stuff up and cause all sorts of fun damage. It happens, and more frequently than you might imagine.

- Jetboat motors tend to be a lot less reliable. Go look at for sale ads for 10 year old jetboats, and you will see a lot of rebuilt/replaced motors.

- They don't make good wakeboats.

Overall, I would pass on one. Honestly, I'd rather an I/O over a jet boat.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-13-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
total waste of money for most, great concept, poor resale and no one wants to buy them. There are too many nice boats for that price range, and everyone that i see at the lake wishes they didn't purchase them. All our local dealers are atv dealers and have no water access, plus our local marina's dont want to touch them, so you are really limited if you need service. Good luck
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-13-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
Pretty much terrible wake performance for wakeboarding, surfing or skiing. 2 motors so twice the stuff to go wrong. The only advantage I see of them is they can drive in really shallow water and they are probably fun to drive. That is it. A 40k used wakeboat will have more room, more storage, more comfortable seating area, better wakeboard wake, better ski wake(depending on model), better surf wake, will pull out and ride better for tow sports, easier to add ballast, etc..................
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-13-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
I sent you a pm
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-14-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
A little advice form a guy who has one. well an AR230. They are great all around boats. Great family boats, Very low maintenance. I have had mine for 4 years, and not one single issue with it.

That said, If you are a die hard wake sports fan, get an inboard. I wasn't when I bought mine, until I got into surfing, I will be upgrading as soon as its feasible and I can afford to get what I want.

I can and do get a decent surf wave out of my boat, but we added ballast to it.