Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    abadsvt            06-27-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
Well everyone who has put there 2cents in i really appreciated it. I decided against the 97 mastercraft 205 because of who owns it and i am worried about the history and dealling with shady people. I came across a 98 mastercraft xstar that appears to be in pristene condition. The owner has sent me something like 30 photos of the boat because he wants me to be 100% of the boat before i drive 13hrs. He also has taken care of the boat which is also sometimes hard to find. From the pictures the xstar looks almost perfect and especially nice since it is a 98. The only thing that isn't the best is the fact that the motor has 800 or so hrs on it. BUT the owner is always doing preventive maintanence to the boat. For example he was telling me that every year he replaces the water pump impeller because he wants to prevent it ever wearing out so it can't cause the motor to over heat. Even though the pump impeller is in great condition he still buys a new one and installs it. So with that kind of maintanence the motor should last a long time as long as i continue doing it. Is there anything i should look for when i go and meet the guy to buy the boat? Am i making a mistake? If the boat is in as good as condition as he is saying and from what i am seeing is 25k to much? Here is the specs on the boat:
1998 Mastercraft xstar (color blue)
Tower with bimini and infinty tower speakers
Custom sound system with a 10" solabaric sub
Super clean upholstery
Perfect Pass
Board Racks
Single axel trailer with chrome rims and matching spare tire
Teak swim step
Boat cover
Heater
Hot water shower
Black Scorpin engine
Depth finder
New winch
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-27-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
for 25k you could probably find a 2000-01 VLX with less hours.

is that a direct drive ? if so, WAY too much.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-27-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thats too much. High NADA on it is 22K and with that many hrs I wouldn't pay more than 19-20K. I sold my 2000 205(same boat) for 29K back in 2001. It had 140Hrs on it.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
Changing the impeller every year is pretty much standard operating procedure for everybody that has a wake boat and so is keeping a spare in the glove box.

I think you can find a better deal if you look more.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
Tell him your appreciate the fact that he took the 30 minutes once a year to change the $25 impellar but you'll give him 19k for it. Use the hours and age of the boat in your favor. 2007 boats will be coming out soon, that boat is almsot 10 years old to put it in perspective.
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-27-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
I hate to throw rocks... does seem a bit high.
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
This is my boat you guys are talking about... We have over 3,000.00 invested in 2 amps, headunit, tower speakers, sub and regular speakers. Here is a link to nada showing over 23,000.00 for average retail. When my husband booked it it came out over 24,000.00 for our area so I must be missing something off the list. Also, we left a little room for "best offers" but I have to admit defending our price on this website is less than pleasing. Look Josh, if you don't think the boat is worth is walk... Also, we were just demonstrating the regular maintenance that the boat undergoes with them impeller but whatever. We told him to call our Mastercraft dealer personally who knows the boat through and through.

http://www2.nadaguides.com/Values/ValueReport.asp?UserID=cb1b037a-a7a0-4b7c-94af-114dbe802667&DID=38895&Type=MR&GCode=MR&wPg=1107&w Sec=4&Letter=M&Com=1028&Year=1998&Model=1600115842
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-27-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
Nobody said the boat is not worth the money.They are simply stating that your price is a bit high.Calling Josh out may not be in your best interest. Just an opinion.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-27-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
I don't care how much you have in the stereo. I have over $3000 in mine too. That is lost money. You can charge a little extra (NADA just asks if it's there, not how much.) You want to keep the stereo money, pull it, and put it in the new boat.

Someone has a boat for sale in the classified adds here. Says he paid $1200 for a custom cover. Who cares, again, a cover is a cover. His loss, buyers benefit.

... my .02
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-27-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
yo.... I wouldn't be surprised if they get close to 25 for the boat if it's immaculate. The nice thing with boats is that as the new ones come out with astronomical price tags the old ones go up in value with them. I'd expect to pay 21-23k for that boat. Josh, don't be scared. Check it out. Water test it, and pay what you think it's worth.

I sold my '02 Sanger Dlx wake with 450 hours for 27.5k. I don't think I paid 27.5k for it to begin with, but with the added value of a stereo, bimini and boardracks (and all the little extras you accumulate over time) it was a worthwhile deal for someone. I see boats selling for more than I think they are worth all the time. It's a supply and demand issue. If you want a raging deal, buy in November. Otherwise just suck it up.
Old     (x2momma)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
I sold a '97 205 with the LT1, excellent condition, less hours, no tower, no heater or shower, w/a dual axle trailer for 25k last year.

MasterCraft's tend to hold their value, especially the 205/older X-Star hull.

My .02 cents.
Old    ilovetrains            06-27-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Holy smokes - I almost a 98 X-star from the dealer in 98 for a little over 30K, that thing sure held it's value!!

Seriously, the boat may be worth it, that is up to you, but you can get a much newer boat for a couple K more if that is what you are looking at.
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-27-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
I'd walk. 800 hours is 800 hours no matter what you can't change that.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-27-2006, 12:53 PM Reply   
800 well maintained hours is not a deal breaker in the least.

Add, I don't think that the owner was "calling out" at all. Just adding to the discussion.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-27-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
I bout a '00 xstar with 300 hours for 23k last year.

Seems expensive to me. I'd look for something with less extras, and add em later
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-27-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
I came across a 98 mastercraft xstar that appears to be in pristene condition. The owner has sent me something like 30 photos of the boat because he wants me to be 100% of the boat before i drive 13hrs. He also has taken care of the boat which is also sometimes hard to find. From the pictures the xstar looks almost perfect and especially nice since it is a 98.

IMO, you can tell a lot about the guts of a boat, by the condition of the exterior. Though it seems that even the guts can be verified through the dealer.

It is apparent that fifi is proud of the condition of the boat. Many sellers would say, come take a look and see what you think. It takes a confident owner to take 30 photos of his/her boat and say, this is the boat, take a solid look before you drive 13 hours.

NOTE....I think it is wise for Josh to seek as much info. as he can and posting questions on this forum is a great resource. I also don't think it is at all negative for fifi to come an add to the discussion.

Hope everything works out for everyone involved.

(Message edited by Deuce on June 27, 2006)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-27-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
dj, you got a hell of a deal.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-27-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
dj, 23 for a 2000 xstar is super low, there is a guy in az wanting 40 right now for his 01, I have a 99 air nautique I wouldnt let it go for anything less than 26. To an owner who has taken care of thier boat and takes pride in it, it is offensive when people devalue thier boat, stand strong fifi, you should be able to get what you want for your boat. Josh, just because you can get another similar boat for a much lower price doesnt mean its better, you get what you pay for most of the time and most of the time buying cheap means buying twice.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-27-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
Agreed. If I bought a X2 right up front when I bought my Sanger I'd probably still have the same boat. I didn't know how serious I'd become at that point and bought a smaller direct drive because I thought I'd still be doing some skiing. LOL...

800 hours isn't that big of a deal if the boat is pristine. If it feels worn out when you water test it, then it probably is just that. If it feels good and everything works, then I wouldn't sweat it at all.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-27-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
A few thousand to high IMO. I would keep looking. But it could be a very nice boat. All depends on how bad you want it. If you like it go for it.