Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    aquaman812            04-26-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
Thanks to the running board bolt popping up I now have a 10 inch gash in my Gel Coat which has left the fiberglass exposed. I have it scheduled to be fixed next week, but 2 different shops told me I could still take the boat out....any advice on this? It's finally warming up in Nor Cal, but I'm afraid of doing more damage? Any way I can tape of that spot for one day on the lake...just don't want more damage to my X-30 Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-26-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
I would keep it out of the water. You water that fiberglass to be completely dry when the shop starts working on that.

Bummer. That looks ugly.

Trailer company responsible?

Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-26-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
yeah since the scratch is into the glass, i would keep it dry.

you could get a patch kit and do it yourself
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-26-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
The easy answer to your question "Can I take it out with out further damage" is no dont take it out. The fiberglass drys out pretty quick if they put a heet lamp on it it will dry out a few hrs after it has been in the water. IMO I wouldnt worry about it. If you need to get out I say go for it. BTW where are you getting it fixed
Old    aquaman812            04-26-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
I'm really concerned about resale value so I figured I'd let the Gel Coat guy fix it. I can't blame the trailer manufacture, I think I had it to high in the water on the launch. Regardless, I really want to ride this weekend......any suggestions out there to get by? I was thinking about taping it off with Duct or something like it.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-26-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
patch it yourself and then get it fixed for real if and when you trade it in or sell it
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-26-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
IMPORTANT!!!Don't use silacone...the oil gets into the glass and makes it more work for the shop and will cost you more $$$. I made that mistake.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-26-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
Fill it with 5 min. epoxy. The techs can grind it out later.

Dont forget to fix the bolt.

Better yet ask the gel coat guys what to put on it to keep your mind at ease.

(Message edited by derby on April 26, 2006)
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
If you want to ride saturday go get a gel coat epoxy repair kit and cover the gouge. Then when your ready for the permanent repair the shop will not have a hard time.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/377940028msk.htm?bct=t13046503%3Bcimaintenance-boat%3Bciepoxy-fiberglass%3Bciresin-filler-gelcoat

Old    bocephus            04-26-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
park that thing, that's hydro-delamination waiting to happen. All that has to happen is water pressure to build up on the one side of the crack and grab an edge and rip off a nice section of glass. I have seen this happen in person. BTW, that's a little deeper than gel coat damage, that's glass damage. Keep it out of the water and get it fixed properly, don't do any of that money #*@ stuff above. Remember that my advice is worth what you paid for it though!!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-26-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
Looks to me like the gelcoat was removed and the glass is slightly compressed, I don't see any tears in the glass typically indicated by glass fibers sticking out. The glass was impregnated with resin so it should not soak up much water if any. As long as your are not running over 80mph I doubt that you are at risk of hydro-delamination with an MC hull (it's solid not cored). I would not do any half fix either, if the weather is nice go out and enjoy the boat but don't leave it in the water overnight, that's what I would do if it was mine. I tend to be less conservative when it comes to letting this "little issues" ruin my weekends. Run it now, fix it later.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-26-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
its like a snowboard.... i wouldnt take it out at all just because you dont want the water to enter the fiberglass then spred... then your left with week spots in the gel coat...same with a snowboard... whos fixing it for you??

JOSE at ski world does an amazing job... he rebuild an x star's hull that was a solid color and you cant even tell that anything was wrong with it
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-01-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
I have the exact same problem though not quite as bad... Anyone know the approximate cost to have repairs? I am dropping my boat off tomorrow for repair and i dont want to be taken through the ringer...

that is a dime next to the nicks..

Upload