Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-26-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
I know there are varying factors in this injury but I'm curious as to recovery time, how it feels after recovery, etc. Any info is helpful. Thanks
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-26-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
I was riding within 3 weeks of arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus. Mine was a small tear that they just needed to smooth things out and clean things up. Since there aren't many muscles in the knee (just tendons and ligaments) the pain was very minimal compared to my arthroscopic shoulder surgery. I would also suggest using a surgeon who works on professional athletes or one comes highly recomended from someone you trust. Not all orthopedic surgeons are the same.
Old    tommcat            07-26-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
i had mine repaired at the same time as ACL reconstruction so this may not help but from the day of surgery to my first hockey practice was 3 months to the day. so i'd guess that a "simple" meniscus repair would be about a month?
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
Matt-how bad was your initial injury and how does it effect you now. Are you still able to jump the same or is it to much shock to the joint on your landings?
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-27-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
The Miniscus is a sorta "shock absorber" between the bones of the leg. When you have your Miniscus "smoothed" you will lose some of the "shock absorber". A good knee brace holds your leg bones in an angle that puts the stress of impact on the side where the Miniscus is doing it's job. That all being said, three weeks after orthoscopic on my Miniscus I was surfing, and wakeboarding within a month. Build leg strength, keep the swelling down, and get yourself a good knee brace
Old    skatie            07-27-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
What kind(style) knee brace do you use for it? i had my right meniscus repaired, but my left is still torn. the left hurts pretty bad after riding, and lately the right one has been really sore too (maybe it's something different?) but just wondering what kind of brace would help the most. thanks!
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-27-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
Jethro- My initial injury was a severe hpyerextension where the meniscus actually shot out from between the bones, so that the bones hit each other. The meniscus slipped back into place, but it had torn a bit. For the most part, I still jump the same. I definitely avoid landing flat, but that's something everybody should do.
Old    pate            07-28-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
How did they diagnose this? MRI?
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
Im still waiting for an appt for my MRI. That will make it official. Right now its just the docs diagnosis. His diagnosis was based on what I described when the injury occured and his personal evaluation of testing my knee mobility.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-28-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
I use a brace made by OMNI out of Oceanside, CA. There are many manufacturers- make sure you tell them what sports you're involved in so they can make one out of the right materials and design for you-

I believe an MRI is the only way to see the tear in the Miniscus-
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
Jeff-how much was your brace? Ballpark figure.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-28-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
Not sure- insurance covered the cost......
I'd guess a well built brace would be $500.00 +
The Doc puts a cast on your knee, then they make a mold of your leg and build the brace to fit
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-28-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
My knee was diagnosed with an MRI. I wear a neopreme sleeve over that knee, but not something that provides any lateral support.
Old    martini            07-28-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
i'm not familar with omni...CTI2 is the one i trust the most...how long have they been around? do they custom fit? what type of material do they use? are they a medical company?
Old    martini            07-28-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
sorry jeff you answered a few of my questions about omni...but i still feel you can't beat CTI2
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-28-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
I've heard nothing but good things about the CTI braces. However I'm pretty sure the purpose of any major brace, such as the CTI, is to support (or replace) the ACL. Braces really won't be much help for meniscus damage and can lead your knee ligaments to eventually become weaker as they learn to rely on its support. My orthopedic surgeon suggested against the big braces for both my torn meniscus and (more recently) a partialy torn MCL.
Old    kellywb            07-28-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
"I would also suggest using a surgeon who works on professional athletes or one comes highly recommended from someone you trust. Not all orthopedic surgeons are the same."

Matts's advice is more important than you think!

I had a 'bucket handle' tear and some other tears and bone shaving repaired. It took me 4 weeks to feel like I could do some sort of hard activity. I got a release in 6 weeks. Rehab is also key. The quad is one of the fastest muscles to atrophy in the body. It still hurt to kneel on that knee for months if not a year. You hear about some pro athletes that are back on the field in two weeks. That can happen but not realistic. ACLs and MCLs are a different animal completely. I also tore my patella tendon dunking and that was 10 times worse recovery.

Kelly
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       07-28-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
i just came back from my orthopaedic doctors visit today..ive had MRI's and x-Rays..MRI's show meniscus..i tore mine but not sure where..my ACL pulled off the bone..didnt tear ..but when i pulled it bone came with it like a chunk of bone..so all he needs to do with mine in screw it back on..and when hes in there hes going to clean up my knee from the meniscus and bone fragments..he tells me if the meniscus tore in a place that is needed i will need surgery to correct that..what they do is rough up the bone and drill holes in it..what grows back is meniscus but not very good meniscus..not as good as what your born with thats all they can do with todays technology!! anyays if that happens he says ill be off my feet complelty for 12 weeks...her says 2-3 months ill be back and wakeboarding ..just in time for snowboarding!! argh i love wakeboarding way better!!
Old    kellywb            07-28-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
Ryan,

Microfracture "...Drill holes in it.." is a great procedure to aid in the attachment of the ACL to the bone. Dr. Steadman pioneered the use of it on the US Ski team. Pickaboo Street was one of the first athletes to have it done with good results (2 gold medals). Unfortunately, the recovery is longer 4 to 6 months and a brace should be used.

Kelly

(Message edited by kellywb on July 28, 2005)
Old    mia            07-28-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
bummer to hear... what grows back is scar tissue.. it will work but plan on arthritus later on..

just had mine done a month ago and got my new cti2 knee brace(this beats the knee imolbilizer and crutches big time)...

wont be putting on a pair of bindings till i can squat 500lbs again..i figure by that time my quad and surrounding joint area will be strong enough...

Old    pate            07-29-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
Can the meniscus repair itself? or do you have to have surgery? Just wondering if their are alternatives to surgery..
Old    skatie            07-29-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
My doctors tried physical therapy before doing surgery, but for me it didn't help. from what i understand, it can not heal itself.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-29-2005, 5:29 PM Reply   
I started a thread on my 2cents on ACL rehab.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/243823.html?1122673247