Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-11-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
is it true that it will do the same job and you save the perfect pass option ??
Old     (pessy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
No, not even close.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-11-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
nope spend the 1000
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-11-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
what is the difference really..... can someone explain it to me, cause i will throw them to my dealer representative when he will try to argue me !
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-11-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
We just started running 1500 in our X1 with cruise, and its getting the job done fine, but I have never driven a boat with perfect pass...
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-11-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
I would say get PP....I have MC cruise and the downfall, without a skilled driver, it will overshoot your desired speed and come back down. Kind of annoying and wastes a little gas.

MC cruise turns off when you turn the boat off, so you can forget to turn it back on!! IF you forget to turn it on, you could be wakeboarding at waterskiing speeds pretty quickly....Not sure, but they may have fixed this?

PP will take over early and accelerate to your desired speed without overshooting........

Are you ordering the boat? If not, your dealer might have to install PP, and reflash the ECM, which isn't hard, but your dealer may be lazy, it is the busy season.....
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2007, 9:55 PM Reply   
i don't have any experence with the cruise control in a MC but i know that the company that makes the gauges and cruise system for MC makes them for Tige, Supra, and Malibu. i don't know if Supra is using it yet but i know the one in my RZ2 works great and we've had no customers say anything bad about the system yet. my buddy has a Malibu and his system works great too.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-11-2007, 10:09 PM Reply   
Here is another perspective stolen from www.tmcowners.com

After reading, I would suggest test driving a boat with MC cruise and test driving the same boat/motor with PP. Good luck and let us know what you decide......(Ly6 is the new 400 hp motor from Indmar)

Perfect Pass and the LY6
After breaking in the engine on the new boat and getting a new tranny at 9 hrs I was finally able to get some skiing in today. Today was also the first time I used the Perfect Pass on the new boat. I really don't like the way the new Drive By Wire (DBW) boats drive with Perfect Pass. My 2003 197 had the servo style Perfect Pass and I thought it drove much better than my 2007.

There are two things that I notice compared to my 2003. First when accelerating up to your set speed when the PP engages the boat thinks it is going to over shoot the speed and then drops the rpms by about 500-700. Then it realizes it is too slow and surges up to the set speed. My 2003 never did that. It usually over shot the speed and then slowly came back. It actually feels like the boat is dying and then all of a sudden comes back to life.

The second thing I noticed was that the RPMs are surging and dropping constantly when the PP is engaged. It holds speed fine but is pretty annoying when you are in the boat. Even though the RPMs are only jumping anywhere from 10-50 RPMs per the PP gauge you can definetly feel it. You feel like a bobble head doll when you are driving as your head is jerking back and forth with the RPM changes.

I was able to dial it in a little bit to improve the surging and RPM drop by messing with the calibrations, but it was still rather noticeable. I don't feel it when I am skiing at this point, that is except for the initial engagement when it feels like the boat is going to stop.

On my 2003 I liked to use the Wakeboard Pro version and the wakeboard mode as it made it simple for the other people that are driving. I initially setup the 2007 the same and the boat felt like it would have been awful to be behind. We tried everything today and it was still present even if we were using the Digital Pro version, in slalom mode and in wakeboard mode. The surging was still present no matter if there was a person skiing or not. I finally gave up and decided to ski with it acting like that, but it sure doesn't feel right.

What are other peoples experiences with the DBW PP? Do you have the same undershoot problem when PP engages? Do you notice the same surging? Does anyone have a 197 with the LY6 in it? If you do what are you PP settings?

(Message edited by lionel on June 11, 2007)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-11-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
Bryan - You are right, If you just nail the throttle it will overshoot it by a bit, but if you have any finesse at all with accelerating it may only overshoot by 1 or 2 mph if that.

It would be nice though if you didn't have to turn it on every time you swich riders...
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-12-2007, 12:11 AM Reply   
You'll be fine with cruise, I have never thought twice about going back and adding pp to my x1
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-12-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
Last boat had pp and I just picked up an x1 with cruise last week. I've only driven it a couple of times and only with stock ballast at this point, but it gets the job done fine so far. No question it is not as nice as pp, but I guess it comes down to how valuable that 1k is to you. My only real gripe with it is having to remember to turn it on each time after turning off the motor and it's location, otherwise no complaints for me. If your driver sucks it will overshoot the speed and come back down every time, but pp will do that too in my experience.

I would say get it w/o pp giving the cruise a shot and if you don't like it you can always add it on later.
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-12-2007, 6:05 AM Reply   
MC cruise control works great.

It doesn't have 25 other useless functions like PP, but it holds the speed better IMO. Save yourself a 1000 bucks and don't look back.

When you turn your boat off yes you have to hit the on button again. I know that's a lot, if you can't handle that, go with the PP
Old     (wakeboardad)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
I have no trouble with the MC cruise. The only thing I wish it had was a buzzer or warning sound when it takes control. I dont miss PP on my new X15.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-12-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
IMO the MC cruise works fine... I had it on the last boat. We've got PP on the new boat and it works fine as well. They both have their quirks. I think PP is better for inexperienced drivers, and I like that it stays on when you turn the key off. Other than that, I have no complaints with the MC cruise.
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-12-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
I have the Moomba cruise on my 07 Mobius LSV...and its RPM based obviously. it doesnt do the same job at all....if you have to turn around, the boat bogs down and you have to get it back on plane. id definetly spend the extra $$$. were getting it installed this winter when we get it winterized
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-12-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
NOOOOOOO... the MC cruise BLOWS spend the money on the perfect pass... we have a 06 MC X-15 ... we are in the process of switching to PP
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-12-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
2007 X1 with Master Cruise - love it BUT have never owned a boat with PP (have driven but never owned). Not a lot of options (simple on/off with RPM or Speed mode and +/- switches for setting and then increasing/decreasing speed/rpm).
Old     (x2boarder)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
GET PERFECT PASS!!! It is worth it big time! When you turn with "CrapCruise" you lose 10 MPH, perfect pass keeps you less than 2 MPH from ur set speed. Also you can set sensitivityif you decide to add weight to your boat...just up it and it holds the speed a lot better.

(Message edited by x2boarder on June 12, 2007)

(Message edited by x2boarder on June 12, 2007)