Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-02-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Anyone watch this? Jon Bones Jones will be the next champ at 205 IMO. He killed Brandon Vera then last night made quick work of Vladimir whatever his last name was. Vlad was a Russian wrestling champion and Jones took him down with ease an with his long razor sharp elbows pounded him out in under 2 minutes. This guy is the real deal. I hope Silva gets past Sonen because I would love to see a match between Anderson Silva and Bones Jones.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-02-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
Bones is bad ass! I thought all the fights were pretty good. I wanted Munoz to win but he just couln't get the take down. I don't who the UFC will have Jones fight next. Most of the big boys are tied up for a while. But it is obvious Jones needs to be fighting A level talent now. I would love to see him fight Rahard or may be Forest.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-02-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Jon Jones needs to start fighting elite level fighters now.. then the real competition begins.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-02-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
JBJ has been my favorite up and comer for a while now. He's a blast to watch and respectful. Even when he was DQ'd for elbows he took it with a lot of grace. I think he's the best bet to put up a good challenge for Anderson. He gets me excited about the UFC where as not many have lately.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-02-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
Forrest or Rashad was what I was thinking also. But then what has Forrest done? I mean really besides beat Rampage and a nervous and first time in Octogon Shogun he hasnt done a whole lot. Well besides bieng in an Epic battle with another B level fighter that shot MMA into heights its never seen before. I think Bones will get another upper level B talent before getting a shot at Rashad, Rampage, Machida, Shogun etc.. How bout Ryan Bader? Hes been moving up! I'm really thinking it'll be Forrest just because it'll be a big sell.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-02-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
I want it to be someone who will push him. The thing I noticed about Bones is that he has some of the best throws I have ever seen. When he gets you to the ground you are in big trouble. He has the longest arms in MMA, once those razor sharp skiny elbows start raining down on you you are a dead man. If he fights Forrest and get him to the ground its over. If it stays standing up Forrest has a chance. If Bones fights Silva and it stays standing he is a dead man, if it goes to the ground which iw quite possible with his amazing throws I could see him taking A Silva out. This Saturday will be interesting to see Sonnen and Silva fight. Sonnen is being pretty cocky about the fight. If I were fighting A Silva I would be keeping my mouth shut.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-02-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
I hated last nights fight, why do you put him in front of a has been when he has legitimately beat Hammel and Vera. He deserves a shot at the top of the class, all of these guys have shown weakness and none of them (except Machida) has been as dominant as JBJ in his fights. I didn't think about Bader, but that would be awesome fight between up and comers......Never understood the Forest Griffen thing......never been an elite fighter, more of thug street fighter like Rampage.

I would love to see Sonnen knock the crap out of Silva.....and I believe it is gonna happen....I don't think Silva is going to make a run at 205 but I could be wrong....
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-02-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
3 of Silva's 4 losses have come from Japanese guys, I wonder what they know that the other guys haven't figured out.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-02-2010, 7:51 PM Reply   
Pretty good night of fights I thought. And what about Franklin ? He's an upper B lower elite class fighter in 205.

Josh Howard has heart that's for sure !
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-02-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
Sonnen has run his mouth so much that I fully expect Anderson Silva to come out with a point to prove... and making that point right on Sonnen's face.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-02-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
Lizzy your hubby is a lucky man. If I could find a chick who gets on forums and talks UFC I would be a happy man lol.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-02-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
I didn't really like forest either but I don't know who was left out there (with the main guys all tied up). I think Franklin might be the man that is next. Also Silva may stay at middle weight and I wouldn't be surprised if Bones ends up at heavyweight at some point in his career. He is 6'4 and he is only 23 years old. I could see filling out and having a rougher time making 205.
As for Silva I think he had one more good fight at middle weight left and that is with Belfort.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
Thank you Flight007. Indeed I am!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
I don't ever see JBJ moving beyond 205. I could see him getting up into the 230 range if he hit the "gear" but he has a very slight frame. In my mind it would be foul hardy for him to do so as the top guys at HW are now cutting to get to 265 and are just all around huge. I also think that Middle and Light Heavy are where it is at in the UFC.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-03-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Here is the article where jones talks about possibly heading to heavyweight later in his career.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...ghts_watch_out
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
Yeah I suppose he could fight there, I just don't see him contending there but ya never know.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-03-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
I agree, I think he would be too small of a heavyweight. 205 is where he should stay.

Thanks Dan.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
I am guessing that not a lot of people want to fight JBJ....he is one of those fighters that most people want to avoid. I hope Dana/Joe Silva get him a good fight, he deserves it.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-04-2010, 12:14 AM Reply   
Ant and Liz no problemo. Im getting pretty excited about this Saturday, I hope Sonen can back up what his mouth has been saying. I just want to see someone finally give AS a run for his money.....Something tells me that Sonen is gonna be in for a big surpise though.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-04-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Saturday is my birthday. We are going to have a little party and watch the fights (got the keg and goose flowin). All I really want for my birthday is to see silva and Big Country lose. Big Country is going down but I don't think Sonnen has a chance. It would be a great birthday gift to see Silva knocked on his ass though.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-05-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
Man has Sonnen been running his mouth! Its gonna take him beating Silvas ass to be able to back it up at all. I hope he can!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-07-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
JBJ is nothing short of amazing. The way he manhandled both Vera and Matyushenko definitely says he is ready for much stiffer competition (no disrespect to either Vera or Vlad). Unfortunately most the top tier LHW fighters are busy:

Lil Nog vs. Bader
Shogun vs. Rashad (not till next spring)
Rampage vs. Machida
Forrest still recovering from surgery I believe and he's on a book tour LOL
Franklin recovering from broken arm.

One of the guys inked to fight soon may get injured, and in will step JBJ. We may also see an on the verge fighter for JBJ to face, such as Thiago Silva. I'd hate to see JBJ on the shelf for several months.

Some great fights scheduled tonight. HAZELETT people. Lets hope he can get back into his submission zone and start creating highlights in his favor again.

Can't wait for all the main card fights tonight. Alves needs to move to MW. He has failed to make weight more than he has made it recently.

At the very least I desperately want Big Country to put JDS on his back for awhile to see what happens.

Same with Sonnen....I at least want to see him put Silva on his back for a round or two.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-07-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
Ya know I was watching a video on youtube and Chael Sonen said something I never thought of. He asked the question when was the last time he ever lost a round? I thought about it and he is right. Yes he has been proned to be caught ina submission but when you think about it, he has always dominated the rounds. Hmmmm going to be interesteing
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-07-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
WOW! Great night of fights so far! Matt Hughes looked AWESOME! Amazing!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-07-2010, 9:32 PM Reply   
DAMN!!! Silva is getting PUNISHED! I feel like I've stepped into some alternate universe!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-07-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
WOW! Anyone that didn't see that card.. especially the main event... that's REALLY unfortunate!!!

What a friggin night of fights!!!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-07-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
Holy Cow is all I can say. Can u say amazing? Who would have thought Sonen would dominate like that only to lose with 2 minutes to go. Guida looked awesome and so did Hughes. I loe Fitch he looked amazing and dominated that thug Alves. Holy crap how in the hell did Big Country not go down? That guy is legit. Honestly, I don't see Santos giving Brock much of a fight. Brock will take Santos down and give him a beating he never had. Did anyone else here Rampage is fighting Machida? I hope he trains cause last fight Rampage really dissapointed me.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
Dam!! I got what I wanted for my birthday for 23 minutes and then it was all over. Definately a bummer. But Sonnen was super impressive. The question is does he get an automatic rematch. I think yes he was so dominate for those 23 minutes. It will be interesting to see what the UFC does.
You know what else I think is crazy is that I couldn't stand Big Country and then he gives a performance last night where he gets his ass kicked and I have so much more respect for him now for taking that beating. Great card it made my birthday night.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
I got a question for you guys. After watching the fight last night. Who would have the edge in a GSP vs. Silva fight? I always thought GSP was too small. But now I think GSP could take him down and pound. Silva's invincibility seems to now be in question. And it might be that Sonnen has laid blue print to take Silva out.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-08-2010, 10:12 PM Reply   
Mike: You are correct. Here is my take. Silva got taged very early on. he was stunned and thus Sonnen took him down easily. After pounding silva for the whole first round Silva came ut in the second got in a few shots and was talken down again. And in each subsequent round. We all know Silvas stand up is incredible, but Chael made him obsolete. On the other hand, Silva kept his cool after being beaten to a pulp and got the submission. He won fare and square. Sonnen has had a historyof being tapped out after dominating a fight. If they fouhgt again who knows Sonnen could get knocked out early. As far as GSP he is amazing but his size would be in question. If GSP wins against Kos and then Fitch again...then they have to put Silva and GSP together. I dont think GSP would get caught in a triangle
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-09-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
Holy shiz... check out the picture of Chael Sonnen at the post fight press conference..
Attached Images

Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-09-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
I will bet my house that GSP/SIlva will not happen. Silva cuts a huge amount of weight to fight at MW... so the size advantage he would have over GSP would be ridiculous. GSP should stay at WW, where he belongs.

Silva did mention that he suffered a rib injury a week before the fight and was told by doctors to cancel. Who knows how much that changed his game... or if it even did at all. I'd really like to see the two fight again. Silva may need to work on his takedown defense a bit after that.

Big Country... I've always disliked him.. but damn, he can really take a beating. Junior Dos Santos put it to him for all three rounds and he just kept on coming. Impressive. Still glad Dos Santos won and will face the winner of Lesnar vs. Cain.

I am so impressed with Fitch. How do you not like him?? He's a hard worker and a total class act. I'd like to see him face GSP again. Alves needs to fight at MW... or stop walking around at 200 pounds. Not making weight and the cut obviously affecting your performance... just ridiculous. It's your JOB to make weight!

Matt Hughes... yeah buddy! I'd love to see him make a run at WW again. Love him!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-09-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
He also had a massive cut over his LT eye also. Once Sonnen started tiring Silva put it on! He was setting that up all night and I'm pretty sure he was just waiting for him to wear down. I really cant believe Sonnen didnt see that coming. Im not sure how tight that triangle was, I think he tapped cause the arm bar was being sinched up. Who knows though, hes got some powerful legs. Either way a great night of fights all around. How bout Hughes! That sub was sick!! I was wondering what the heck he was doing just hanging on then when he went limp I was shocked. It would take sooo much strength to put someone to sleep from that position. He rules the Gracies lol
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-09-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Yeah Hughes has submitted 2 world class BBJ Black
belts Royce and now Almeida
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-09-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
Royce, Almeida AND Renzo Gracie..