Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-21-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
LOL poor guy just think what the next day at work was like for this guy? He is now a star @ Apple. Im sure everyone at Apple know's who he is now. LOL

Knowing first hand how serious Apple is about keeping their secrets, I con only imagine how pissed they are that a employee let the cat out of the bag.

A Apple employee celebrating his 27th birthday left his phone on a bar stool @ a bar in Redwood City. Some one picked it up and sold it to a Tech Website, and they were nice enough to show it to the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HAXXs4bZuk

Last edited by grant_west; 04-21-2010 at 7:27 AM.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-21-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
I've been following that too, cost $5000 for Gizmodo to acquire it for review too.

Part of me thinks this might have been a PR ploy by Apple. Now that people know what the basic features of the 4.0 hardware, might make some wait for it that would have switched to a different make. Cost's Apple very little to do this and they get tons of press. Kinda like a Celebrity sex tape coming out to rekindle public interest without the PR costs.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-21-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
^^ The key is... Where is this guy that lost it? Apple has canned people over A LOT less in terms of info leaks. If this guy shows up as fired, maybe not. If we never hear from him, it is all PR IMO.

BTW, I dig the new look WAY better than the 2nd and 3rd gen iPhones...
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
So much of this whole soap opera just screams WWF wrestling...
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-21-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
From what ive read it seems Apple might be punking Gizmodo. Maybe not though. I feel like they would be more careful witht the next iPhone than that. We will have to wait and see I guess
Old     (WakeboardNJ)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-21-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
The phone was a plant to generate PR for the next Gen iPhone.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-21-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
Ditto!

Marketing had spent tons on the I-Pad and needed to trim some fat.

Free press. A marketing genius.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-21-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Marketing ploy? LOL

That would be funny if they were Punking Gizmondo. If that were the case I would think they could or would make a much better prank phone then what you saw. I would make it crazy with a bunch of crap on it like a swiss army knife, LOL imagine all the apple freak's that would go crazy, Yea now that would be a media frenzy. To me it looks to much like a real phone. But what do I know?
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-21-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
Yeah, Im starting to think this was all one big marketing scheme for Apple. Like Sean said, its a cheap way for apple to give us an idea on what we can expect on the 4g and to keep their name in the news.

Besides, the guy who found the phone in the first place had it for a couple of weeks before he sold it to gizmodo. I would think that with all the technology Apple puts into the phone, they would be able to pin point exactly where the phone was located as soon as they found out it had been misplaced. It just sounds fishy to me. If it really is true, then Apple really dropped the ball on this one.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-21-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
That review was worth about 5 bucks. I think the guy said "Well its black and silver, and it looks like a phone, and i think it has a camera on the front, and lets look at it on this desk for several minutes". neat.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-21-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
"cheap way for apple to give us an idea on what we can expect on the 4g and to keep their name in the news"

A leaked slide from a power point presentation is a cheap way for apple to give us an idea too...

I'm pretty sure Apple's name is in the news on a regular basis.

In case you guys didn't follow their quarterly earnings reports they are doing just fine with their marketing campaigns etc. It makes no sense whatsoever for them to let the phone out as a marketing ploy...
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-21-2010, 6:56 PM Reply   
I didn't really mean for that to sound like I was calling Apple's marketing department cheap, nor was I trying to suggest that Apple is struggling in any way. I guess i should re-phrase myself then. So, just assuming that it actually is a set up, I think it's a pretty creative way to generate a buzz about the next generation of iPhone and keep people that might of been contemplating switching carriers or phones to hold-off until they can try out the new phone themselves.

Either way, I really dont care what the deal is. I have a 3g myself, I support Apple, and I'll probably pick up the 4g once it's released.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-22-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
From a reliable source, this is legit.

Brett, the guy had it for a couple of weeks but only was able to tinker with it for a few hours. All employees have MobileMe which allows them to remotely wipe the phone. I'm not surprised an employee left it at a bar, those cats like to party.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-22-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
lol...."no more roundedness". lo...."The rest is pretty much an iPhone". Obiviously not a Tech review guy.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-23-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Let's face it, when it comes to marketing, what company has done a better job than Apple in the last 10 years. Pure genius. This screams of our employees are real people too and make mistakes, oops. We are not the big anti-flash nasty cooperation people are making us out to be. 'sall good for me as their stocks continue to grow. I love using my Ipad to check their stock
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-23-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
We are not the big anti-flash nasty cooperation people are making us out to be.
Really? http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/s...orm/2010-04-23